Let us manually link downloaded SRT (Subtitle) files!

ImagoX

Emby Team,

I have several films that I took the trouble to find the correct English SRT files for - they're downloaded, in my 'Subtitles' sub-folder, and are correctly named using the exact same name as my media file. My SRT files **WORK FLAWLESSLY** in other players like VLC, because I took the time to verify they were the right ones for my media.

BUT...

I can't select that same ^%$#@! file in Emby! It keeps wanting to download the subtitle file on it's own from OpenSubtitles, or by asking me to upgrade to Premium.

It's kind of infuriating, honestly - I love Emby (especially the Roku plugin), but not for subtitled media files. =(

--Matthew Cook

Edited by ImagoX
  • Agree 1

rbjtech

Can you give an example of your naming ?

If the SRT file is being saved as exactly the same name as the media file in the same folder - then emby should pick it up as an External SRT option.

Name it <filename>.forced.<language>.srt for it to be played automatically all the time, or <filename>.<language>.srt if you want it selectable. 

Wiki link below for the full details :-

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159160-subtitles

Edited by rbjtech

1 hour ago, rbjtech said:

Can you give an example of your naming ?

If the SRT file is being saved as exactly the same name as the media file in the same folder - then emby should pick it up as an External SRT option.

Name it <filename>.forced.<language>.srt for it to be played automatically all the time, or <filename>.<language>.srt if you want it selectable. 

Wiki link below for the full details :-

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159160-subtitles

My SRT = "Viking (2016).srt" (in D:/drama/subs)

My media file = "Viking (2016).mp4" (in D/drama)

I am not using 'forced' or 'english' in the SRT but I'll give that a try.  

The naming schema above allows me to assign the SRT manually in other media players, just not in Emby.

EDIT: Making a copy of the SRT and naming it: "Viking (2016).forced.english.srt" has no effect - still cannot manually look for it nor does the player seem to be picking it up. Am I supposed to use the angle brackets around the file name and language variables? 

Edited by ImagoX

Happy2Play
1 hour ago, ImagoX said:

My SRT = "Viking (2016).srt" (in D:/drama/subs)

My media file = "Viking (2016).mp4" (in D/drama)

I am not using 'forced' or 'english' in the SRT but I'll give that a try.  

The naming schema above allows me to assign the SRT manually in other media players, just not in Emby.

EDIT: Making a copy of the SRT and naming it: "Viking (2016).forced.english.srt" has no effect - still cannot manually look for it nor does the player seem to be picking it up. Am I supposed to use the angle brackets around the file name and language variables? 

I would guess your structure will not work as your subs folder has no association with the flat media structure of Vikings.

Now if your structure in per movie item folders is would work.

D:/drama/Viking (2016)/

Viking (2016).mp4

/subs/Viking (2016).srt

Now if you want to maintain your flat structure you would have to have the subs along side the actual media so no subs folder. But have not tested this.

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Agree 3

rbjtech

Yes as above - if you try and put the movie into it's own folder, then emby will pickup and subs fine.  You don't need the subs folder, but it will work fine if you do use it.

The forced and language is just to get the subtitle attributes correct once it is picked up.  Again optional, but If you don't for example use a language, then it will show the language as Und - Undefined. 

9 hours ago, rbjtech said:

Yes as above - if you try and put the movie into it's own folder, then emby will pickup and subs fine.  You don't need the subs folder, but it will work fine if you do use it.

The forced and language is just to get the subtitle attributes correct once it is picked up.  Again optional, but If you don't for example use a language, then it will show the language as Und - Undefined. 

Hmmm.. OK I'll try that. I'll put JUST THAT FILM into its own sub-folder and see if it picks it up OK. 

That film is already in my Library though under the current file structure - hopefully the Home screen will pick it up in its mew home - will it? I'll try 'Scanning Library Files' after I move it and report back. 

UPDATE: THAT WORKED!!!  Yaaay!!!

I put both the MP4 file and the SRT in the same sub-folder (in Drama) and the subtitle was then available just like you said as an 'Und' subtitle file. Seems to play perfectly. 

THANK YOU - that was driving me crazy. I don't have a ton of subtitled movies, but I was avoiding adding them to my Emby library because I couldn't get the SRTs working - that's a huge help. 

Edited by ImagoX

• 1 year later...
KenLinder
On 8/22/2021 at 5:05 PM, rbjtech said:

not always. I did a test while trying to figure out why various SRT files in various libraries would not be noticed. I had a directory with only 2 files in it :

C:\Files\Video\subtitle test\scarecrow.mp4
C:\Files\Video\subtitle test\scarecrow.srt

EMBY had no idea the SRT was there. I played the video from the server and there was no srt. I reset the server, I Scanned the library. It still didn't notice the subtitle.

---
Another oddity was that through testing how things work (poking the Black Box to see how it acts) I'm pretty sure that EMBY doesn't take note of the subtitle files when it Scans libraries for the type of media files it wants. It really ought to take not of them while building or Scanning the library. I figured this out by adding an mp4 with srt file and then going to the server (to the library where it was listed).  Yup there was my file. By clicking [...] you can look at the Media Info, and guess what? Until you PLAY the file Media Info does not list the SRT. But after it's played a bit Media Info DOES list it. I tested a number of other files that had been added with an SRT but not played, and the Media Info didn't show the SRT until after the file had played.

I'm pretty sure that EMBY doesn't take note of the subtitle files when it Scans libraries for the type of media files it wants

Hi, yes it does. Why do you think that it doesn't?

Happy2Play
9 hours ago, KenLinder said:

not always. I did a test while trying to figure out why various SRT files in various libraries would not be noticed. I had a directory with only 2 files in it :

EMBY had no idea the SRT was there. I played the video from the server and there was no srt. I reset the server, I Scanned the library. It still didn't notice the subtitle.

Had no issue adding your example.  Did not play the test file.

image.png.86ea142e890cc92e892b7d5380e11930.png

9 hours ago, KenLinder said:

---
Another oddity was that through testing how things work (poking the Black Box to see how it acts) I'm pretty sure that EMBY doesn't take note of the subtitle files when it Scans libraries for the type of media files it wants. It really ought to take not of them while building or Scanning the library. I figured this out by adding an mp4 with srt file and then going to the server (to the library where it was listed).  Yup there was my file. By clicking [...] you can look at the Media Info, and guess what? Until you PLAY the file Media Info does not list the SRT. But after it's played a bit Media Info DOES list it. I tested a number of other files that had been added with an SRT but not played, and the Media Info didn't show the SRT until after the file had played.

Maybe you didn't wait for the library scan to finish?