anyone ever find episodes on a dvd out of order?

Bingie

Bingie

Hi all,

This is insane.  I bought the Humans series tv show on blu ray, and on the first disk, the episodes are out of order.  The second episode is first, the first second, the fourth third, and I don't even recognize the third.. maybe it belongs on the next disk, still trying to figure it out.

I can't believe whoever made these disks can be that incompetent, or simply just didn't care.  It's appalling.

Anyone else ever found anything like this?

lorac

It's actually somewhat common. I'm not sure if it's still a thing but aired vs. DvD order for Metadata in emby and thetvdb was an option.

• Like 1

Bingie

ahh yes I encountered the aired problem with the Firefly series, but I never watched Humans until now... but when you play the disk, it plays the episodes in order from a big file that has all episodes in it.  It's just the standalone episode files that are bonkers.

roaku
12 minutes ago, Bingyyyy said:

I can't believe whoever made these disks can be that incompetent, or simply just didn't care.  It's appalling

ahh yes I encountered the aired problem with the Firefly series, but I never watched Humans until now... but when you play the disk, it plays the episodes in order from a big file that has all episodes in it.  It's just the standalone episode files that are bonkers.

You're transferring data off a disk that was authored to be played back exclusively in a dvd/bluray player and the authors did everything in their power to stop you from ripping it.

Wait until you see one of the java obfuscation blurays that has hundreds of fake playlists of the movies just to make it harder for you to select the real one.

They aren't in the business of making things convenient.

I have come across the rare disk where not only is everything ordered logically by rip, but the individual tracks were pre tagged with meaningful titles. But that's like 1 or 2 in 1000 disks.

Edited by roaku

Bingie

ahhhhhhhhh

Yeah well I guess that leads to the legal argument of copying the dvd/blu ray to computer to watch from there, instead of wearing out the disk.  If they offered a life time free replacement every time the disk got scratched and became unplayable, then I wouldn't mind, but I don't want to start up that debate here...

I guess it's a challenge then.  I accept the challenge :P

Deathsquirrel

very common and very annoying.  I rip the discs and then pop them in a player in the living room.  Play the start of each episode, find the corresponding video file, and name it appropriately.

Adding TV shows to the collection is involved.

Happy2Play

I guess no one really knows the DVD order as Season 1 was never input into TVDB.

image.png.9589140254f04a5792e108c27869c01f.png

Bingie

Yeah I'll have to watch the series again, but I just don't have 20+ hours to spare right now.  Each episode starts with a couple minutes of "previously on..." stuff, so it's not like I can just watch the beginning of each one to see which is which. 

Maybe when I'm ready to watch the series again, I'll clean it up.  Until then, the files are there, waiting.

Edited by Bingyyyy

gungatim

I run into this quite a lot, along with the hundreds of fake files to sort through.

I now double check whenever I rip tv shows from dvd.

here's what I do, pop in the disc and open it up in VLC media player (it's free if you don't already have it). when the menu screen starts, click the first episode to watch.

when it starts to play, go up to the top menu in VLC, click on "Playback", then "Title".

the list of all the files on the disc shows up and there will be a black dot highlighted to the left of the file that is actually playing the chosen episode. then just make not of which title is which episode based on the menu and choose those to rip.

I also run across quite often the package/sleeve that lists the episodes does not match the disc in both order and sometimes not even the right disc...