OTA Live TV - Issues TCL Android TV

TEKDUDE

TEKDUDE

OTA channels are fed to Emby via HDHomerun Connect Duo. The problem is any station will play fine for about 20 seconds, then the picture just freezes and audio continues. I have rebooted the Connect Duo, tried again, no effect. Stopped and restarted Emby Service - no effect. Cleared cache on Emby app, rebooted TV - no effect, rebooted Emby server (Standalone PC) no effect. 

Now, when I play any OTA channel on FireTV devices all is good, so assuming something is up with Android on this TCL TV. It has the latest OS installed and Emby is up to date.

Thoughts?

Log attached

embyserver.txt

TEKDUDE
3 hours ago, Sammy said:

Do you have it set to direct play in the LiveTV settings in Emby?

Yes, tried that as well, no effect.

Sammy

Did you send the AndroidTV Log? I can't access them but @ebr and @Luke can.  There might be something telling in there.

Emby for Android TV/Fire TV and Emby for Roku Logs

These apps have the option to send an app log to us electronically.  You enter the settings page and turn on the "Debug Options".  Now there will be a new option on the user menu at the top of your app home page labelled "Send Log".  

NOTE

If you are using Android TV/Fire TV and your problem is with playback, please send the log directly from the playback OSD.
There will be an option on the "cog" menu.

Reproduce your problem and then use this button to send the log.  Then add the following information to your report in the forum:

• Exactly what you were doing and what happened.  Include the name of whatever you played if it is a playback problem
  • The time you sent the log (in Eastern Time please - UTC -5)
  • The name of the Emby user on the local server that was logged in at the time

Hi.  Is an ffmpeg log produced?  If so, can we please see that?

Also, sending a log from the app right after the freeze would be good.

Thanks.

TEKDUDE
23 minutes ago, Sammy said:

Did you send the AndroidTV Log? I can't access them but @ebr and @Luke can.  There might be something telling in there.

Started streaming a few local channels to produce the freeze, log sent from device.

TEKDUDE

Hi.  It looks like the data is just not getting delivered fast enough for some reason.  I see a gradual slow-down of transcoding speed in the ffmpeg log but that isn't unusual for live TV.  It seems to stabilize at exactly 30fps - which, theoretically, should get the data there just in time.  However, I just see the player having to pause and wait every so often.

Is this a wireless connection?

TEKDUDE
1 minute ago, ebr said:

Hi.  It looks like the data is just not getting delivered fast enough for some reason.  I see a gradual slow-down of transcoding speed in the ffmpeg log but that isn't unusual for live TV.  It seems to stabilize at exactly 30fps - which, theoretically, should get the data there just in time.  However, I just see the player having to pause and wait every so often.

Is this a wireless connection?

Built in Ethernet on TV to router, about 20 feet. 

7 minutes ago, TEKDUDE said:

Built in Ethernet on TV to router, about 20 feet. 

But the stick is wireless, correct?  And it seems to work fine?

You might try setting up the TV with a wireless connection as well - just as a test.  Most of the built in ethernet adapters on TVs are, shall I say, less than optimal.

• Haha 1

TEKDUDE
Just now, ebr said:

You might try setting up the TV with a wireless connection as well - just as a test.  Most of the built in ethernet adapters on TVs are, shall I say, less than optimal.

FireTV sticks are wireless on different TVs in the house and do not have this problem, only this TCL Android TV. It does also have built in wireless. I will try that on the TCL TV and see if it does the same or not and will report back.

TEKDUDE
11 minutes ago, ebr said:

Unplugged Ethernet and restarted TV (Not power off) Went to 'about' section in settings and did a full restart. TV back now, connected to 5Ghz wireless, started Emby, went to my local NBC channel, within 20 seconds, picture froze but audio kept playing. Router same distance, about 20 feet. Sent another log from app.

Not to happy with the OS on this TV, its UI is not bad but its extremely slow and sluggish when moving around the UI. I will probably just get another 4K FireTV stick. I have been streaming local CBS on FireTV in a different room for over an hour with no issues.

1 minute ago, TEKDUDE said:

its extremely slow and sluggish when moving around the UI

I fear that may be related to your TV issue.  Something is a bottleneck somewhere and I guess maybe it is in the TV itself.

TEKDUDE
1 minute ago, ebr said:

I fear that may be related to your TV issue.  Something is a bottleneck somewhere and I guess maybe it is in the TV itself.

I'm going to run a full factory reset and see what happens, will report back after this is completed. I have nothing else better to do today 😄

TEKDUDE
7 minutes ago, Sammy said:

Might want to check this out.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/onn-Android-TV-UHD-Streaming-Device/636597403

Or a MiBox s if they're still available.

$29 is a good price, do you have one, and if so does it work well?

This is the Android TV I have now. Just ran a full factory reset, will load up Emby and come back to report findings..

https://www.tcl.com/us/en/products/home-theater/4-series/55-class-4-series-4k-uhd-led-smart-android-tv-55s434

Sammy

I don't have one. I figured you'd get one and report back how it works!

I have more MiBox s' than I care to count. There's two channels on them where LiveTV playback is glitchy. Fortunately I don't watch them much.

• Like 1

TEKDUDE

Well gang, factory reset is complete, only have Emby running now on Wi-Fi, same issue persists. Log sent from app if that helps. I'm probably going to look into the ONN device Sammy sent and or another 4K FireTV stick, as this makes no sense at all.

Thank you for assisting and providing support / recommendations! 

The Onn device would be a good test if you have a local Walmart.  They would make a return quite easy if the device isn't for you.

• Like 1

TEKDUDE
1 hour ago, cayars said:

The Onn device would be a good test if you have a local Walmart.  They would make a return quite easy if the device isn't for you.

My local Walmart is showing in stock online, I will probably run up after work today and give it a try, and yes returns there are stupid easy.

Let us know what you think of the device.  I may pick one up this weekend as well to play with.

TCL Android TV should also have the Live Channels app where the HomeRun can be used as a source. Set that up and see if you have the same problem. Or load the HDHomeRun app and check the same.

TEKDUDE
23 minutes ago, EZEd said:

TCL Android TV should also have the Live Channels app where the HomeRun can be used as a source. Set that up and see if you have the same problem. Or load the HDHomeRun app and check the same.

Yep, HDHomeRun works fine on it, it just freezes in Emby. I also loaded up two external players, VLC and MX Player, set Emby to use External player for Live TV, and I hit an error 'cannot play this video format'. The other odd thing is that it doesn't even offer a choice of which external player to use.

• 2 weeks later...
TEKDUDE
9 hours ago, Luke said:

Are you still having an issue with this?

Yes, issue persists with local OTA on the TCL Android TV.