FreeBSD Packaging News

Luke

FreeBSD 13 package has been added to our website

Self explanatory.

Package extensions changed from txz to pkg

On a one-time basis this will cause your server to not be aware that an update is available, but it will correct itself after you've installed the new pkg.

Dependency list has changed

We're now requiring the mono6.8 package instead of the older mono package.

Emby Runs on TrueNAS Scale

This is not BSD related, but our Docker package works great on TrueNAS scale.

We're investigating if our debian packages can also be used.

• Like 1

adrianwi

Thanks!  I've rebuilt my emby jail on TrueNAS 12.0-U5 and will see if this fixes some of the issues I was having with 4.6.4.0.

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

Starting with the 4.7.0.21 beta releases, we've switched over to the .NET core runtime 6.0. That means there's no longer any dependency on the mono runtime.

• Like 1

adrianwi

If I create a new jail for 4.7.0.21 and mount the 4.6.7.0 emby-server folder will I need to roll it back if I need to switch back to running 4.6.7.0?

Missing libunwind dependancy when following instructions on website, but added that (pkg install libunwind) and it seemed to install OK.

I'm struggling to get it to connect - ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED, - even though emby-server is running in the jail  No time to try and investigate now, but will take another look at the weekend.

Edited by adrianwi

alucryd

You also need icu, openssl and krb5 for the server to work with dotnet core, install instructions will be updated shortly.

adrianwi

pkg install openssl krb5 and then allow_mlock checked in the Jail Settings and it's running for me now.  Haven't tried mounting my previous config and libraries yet

adrianwi

I thought this version replaced mono with .NET?  The .json file looks like it's still installing mono? 

It's probably also worth pointing out that this approach creates a plugin, which might not be what people are expecting.  Creating a manual jail using the FreeBSD instructions would still be my recommended route.

Seems to be working well though, so thanks!  What are the advantages of .NET over mono?  I'm guessing it brings it into line with the other versions, but should it perform better than mono?

Edited by adrianwi

adrianwi

Yeah, I followed the FreeBSD instructions and created the jail myself and so far so good.  Overall it feels a little more responsive, although it's talking longer to load cover images when scrolling up and down large libraries and the library scan seemed a lot slower.

Overall it feels a little more responsive,

It will most definitely be more responsive with the move to the .NET core runtime and dropping mono.

• 2 weeks later...

Is everyone all set now with being able to run the beta server? We've finally moved BSD off of mono and onto the .net core runtime, so the server should be lighter on it's feet than it's ever been.

adrianwi

Yes, it's certainly using less resources and in most cases seems more responsive than the stable release running mono.  

• Thanks 1