Use Google Drive Media with Emby and Rclone?

Skyfay
Go to solution Solved by rodainas,

Skyfay

Hello,

I have movies on my Google Drive. Now I would like to integrate this directly into Emby without loading it locally onto my device. I have mounted google drive on my Ubuntu 20.04 server via rclone. 

But if I want to create a new media folder, then I cannot select the folder where I mounted Google Drive.

does anyone have experience with this and can help me?

thanks!

Edited by Skyfay

Hi, try entering the folder path manually into emby library setup and see if that helps. Thanks.

The emby system user probably does not have permission to access the folder. Please review this:

Then try again. Thanks.

Skyfay

I think I can't change the permissions for the mounted folder via Rclone.

I tried to sudo chown -R emby /mnt/google-drive but it doesn‘t changed anything.

Also sudo chmod -R 777 does not help.

Edited by Skyfay

rodainas

1 hour ago, Skyfay said:

I think I can't change the permissions for the mounted folder via Rclone.

I tried to sudo chown -R emby /mnt/google-drive but it doesn‘t changed anything.

Also sudo chmod -R 777 does not help.

Please post your mount command and are you using --allow-other flag ?

• Solution
rodainas
13 minutes ago, Skyfay said:

@rodainasI used the command „rclone config“ and then created a new one.

I think i don‘t use flags.

Exactly, and thats why the problem you are having.

On linux you need to specify the flag: --allow-other

The reason is that without this flags other applications won't have access to the mounted directory.

• Like 1

Skyfay
1 minute ago, rodainas said:

Exactly, and thats why the problem you are having.

On linux you need to specify the flag: --allow-other

The reason is that without this flags other applications won't have access to the mounted directory.

So i need to type: rclone config allow-other ?

When i do that, the files are still on google drive and don‘t try to download it local on my device?

rodainas
1 minute ago, Skyfay said:

So i need to type: rclone config allow-other ?

When i do that, the files are still on google drive and don‘t try to download it local on my device?

No.

Rclone doesnt download automatically any files, dont know why you have this conception, the only way rclone download the files is in the event you have the vfs cache activated and modify the files on the mount, rclone will download the files to your local computer for cache purpose and after being uploaded again it will be deleted.

The command for mounting is 

rclone mount --allow-other remotename: /path/to/directory/

• Like 1

Skyfay
3 minutes ago, rodainas said:

No.

Rclone doesnt download automatically any files, dont know why you have this conception, the only way rclone download the files is in the event you have the vfs cache activated and modify the files on the mount, rclone will download the files to your local computer for cache purpose and after being uploaded again it will be deleted.

The command for mounting is 

rclone mount --allow-other remotename: /path/to/directory/

Oh, Okey. There are a config and a mount. Sorry i‘m stupid. I forgot. Thanks i lot i will test it.

Thanks!

Edited by Skyfay

rodainas
2 minutes ago, Skyfay said:

Oh, Okey. There are a config and a mount. Sorry i‘m stupid. I forgot. Thanks i lot i will test it.

Thanks!

No worries.

The config is for creating your remote (the location of your files on the cloud for rclone to read it).

If you already created a remote you just need to apply the rclone command, I advise you to run it as a service, so in the event rclone crash or you restart the machine the rclone mount command will be automatically invoked.

• Like 1

Skyfay
41 minutes ago, rodainas said:

No worries.

The config is for creating your remote (the location of your files on the cloud for rclone to read it).

If you already created a remote you just need to apply the rclone command, I advise you to run it as a service, so in the event rclone crash or you restart the machine the rclone mount command will be automatically invoked.

Which file is that, or can i do that with fstab?

MahiSM3300

I have emby premium... but even though i have connected my google drive api to emby i am still not being able to access my google drive contents on emby... how can i add my google drive files to emby for online streaming ?

Skyfay
12 minutes ago, MahiSM3300 said:

I have emby premium... but even though i have connected my google drive api to emby i am still not being able to access my google drive contents on emby... how can i add my google drive files to emby for online streaming ?

It‘s not possible with the Google Drive Plugin for me. I use Rclone or Plexdrive this works on my Linux machine.

Edited by Skyfay

Skyfay

@MahiSM3300I think you wan't to play a video over emby direct from google drive right?
But this isn't possible i guess?
Cause if you use rclone or something your pc or server need to download form Google Drive in your cache and then upload it to your Device. Direct play from google drive over emby is not possible if i'm right.
@Luke or @rodainas probably know more about it than I do.

Edited by Skyfay

rodainas
6 minutes ago, Skyfay said:

@MahiSM3300I think you wan't to play a video over emby direct from google drive right?
But this isn't possible i guess?
Cause if you use rclone or something your pc or server need to download form Google Drive in your cache and then upload it to your Device. Direct play from google drive over emby is not possible if i'm right.
@Luke or @rodainas probably know more about it than I do.

It is possible to play it directly through google drive, with the use of strm files and direct links to google drive videos using the api from google, but it is not recommended as you would have to turn the links into public access, and if the content is downloaded the risk of getting the files flagged because of this is high.