Cannot get devices not on home network to connect to emby

Riptide126

generiq

He's talking about using the switch instead of the router. I guess he can't figure out how to use the router as a simple switch.

generiq

I'm just wondering.... Are all of the devices in the shed, wireless? If that's the case, and you just want better WiFi, you should get a Unfi AP and plug it in to the patch cable that you ran out to the shed. You can also plug it into the switch you just ordered. You could save a little money and buy an older model for what you're using it for.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DRM6MLI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_3ZYDK4KY2NBCHPFF1C0D

Hell, I've even got an LR lying around that I can sell for cheap.

Riptide126

So just to be totally clear the entire configuration would go Modem --[ethernet]--> router --[ethernet]--> switch --> which would split connection between my pc and router, allowing my pc to stay wired, but if I can keep my current configuration by doing a double port forward I would prefer to do that so cayars I sent you a pm to see if you can help me set that up

generiq

Yes. You can think of a switch as a splitter. So your router will manage the whole network. The switch I linked to is about as basic as it gets. Connect an outbound patch cable from the router and plug it into your switch, and you're done. The router will assign IP addresses to all the devices. Only needing to port forward through one router.

Happy2Play

Still don't believe we have determined if this is a double nat setup with this Modem and secondary router.

generiq
11 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Still don't believe we have determined if this is a double nat setup with this Modem and secondary router.

He actually has three routers, but he's put the Arris in bridge mode. And he's getting notifications telling him the subnets don't match. 

• Like 1

Happy2Play
3 minutes ago, generiq said:

He actually has three routers, but he's put the Arris in bridge mode. And he's getting notifications telling him the subnets don't match. 

Sounds like we need a diagram showing device connections and showing LAN IPs per connection, still sounds like a multi nat environment.  This can be done in PM if OP wishes. @Riptide126

generiq

I was suggesting a simplification of the network, because one day he's going to have to troubleshoot issues, and he will need to understand the network and be able to manage it. Replacing the second router with the switch will automagically make everything work, and make it simple to troubleshoot.

rbjtech

Wow.. how to make things overly complicated - Unless you have no other choice, and need to use SNAT and DNAT to avoid conflicting networks, double NAT on any home install is just a 'hack' as will lead to poor performance, impossible configurations for the likes of consoles, network broadcasts for IoT devices etc.  A world of unnecessary pain.

I'm glad you got it 'working' - but a simple 'Modem' > [NAT] router [DHCP]  > switch setup would be your best option to get working properly.

Edited by rbjtech
  • Agree 2

Riptide126

Yeah i have a switch it just arrived today but I am going to leave it as is because I have it working now, definitely over complicated though