Cannot get devices not on home network to connect to emby

Riptide126

Riptide126

I have been trying for hours to try to get emby to connect to devices not on my home network. I have been unsuccessful so far and I think that it is due to me not necessarily understanding and being able to set up port forwarding. Not only that my home network is a bit confusing, I have a modem connected to a router, and another router connected to that router which is outputting a completely seperate wifi network which is where the emby server is located. I don't know which router I should set port forwarding up on, and whenever I try on either one with my supposed public IP address, I get the error the ip address and the lan ip address should be in the same subnet, which I have no idea what the means. I would appreciate help and I will try and give any information that I can.

Hello Riptide126,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

generiq
22 minutes ago, Riptide126 said:

What do you mean by a switch like an extender?

No, you see the ports on the router? That part is the switch. That's all you need, but you're using a router, too. Hmmmm... Let's start over...

How are your devices physically connected? What device connects to what device? So like this ... ISP modem -> router -> computer  ... for example.

Riptide126

So I have an arris modem connected to a tp link router which is connected to another tp link router which is connected to my pc

Edited by Riptide126

generiq

Oh my! Well, you have two too many routers. I'm assuming you've done this to increase connectivity (add more devices)?

Riptide126

The reason I have two routers is because one is connected to the other by a 150 foot ethernet cable to a shed where my pc is located

generiq
Just now, Riptide126 said:

So the arris is a modem router combo but I made it into just a modem

Bridge mode? Well, ok, then you only have one too many routers. 

Just now, Riptide126 said:

The reason I have two routers is because one is connected to the other by a 150 foot ethernet cable to a shed where my pc is located

Ok, I was thinking it was something like that. You either need to replace the second router with a switch, or there might be a possibility of converting it to a switch. But, in your case you have little knowledge of networking. Just buy a cheap switch and replace it.

https://www.amazon.com/Ethernet-Splitter-Optimization-Unmanaged-TL-SG105/dp/B00A128S24/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=M49RRMN02Q5T&dchild=1&keywords=network+switch+4+port&qid=1629180916&sprefix=network+switch%2Caps%2C232&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFXUTFRQTM5WlY2WFkmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA4NzU3MjkyQ01PR1FNVEQzUUFNJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAyNzY3MDc4OU9VSDQ5RTJTTFMmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Riptide126

So there is an option within the router settings to turn it to access point mode rather than router mode, but I was never able to get access point mode to work

generiq

What? Making it an access point? Yes, if you can make it work. But you'll also need to make sure it gets it's IP from the other router and it's on the same subnet.

Riptide126

Do you have any idea how I would do that because there are other devices in my shed that connect to the wifi or I would just use an ethernet splitter, if not I can try to figure it out again its been a while

rbjtech

It's important to understand what Ethernet ports on the devices were used to connect to what.  If you you have just connected the 'LAN' ports together, then you have effectively just extended the LAN - this is ok.  If however, you have connected a LAN port from the first 'Router' to the WAN port on the 2nd router - then that is a bad setup as you'll have double NAT, double DHCP and all sorts going on.

If you can turn the second 'Router' into just an Access Point and disable DHCP - then I believe we are good.

ie

Arris Modem > [[WAN Port] TP Link Router, DHCP on, [Any LAN Port]] > [[Any LAN Port] on second TP Link Router, DHCP off, AP Mode]]

This will then give you two AP's, plus all Ethernet interfaces on both TP Links will be on the same subnet.

Note the port types - this is important.

Emby can be connected to any Ethernet (or wifi) - as it's a flat network and port forwarding (on the first TP Link Router) should work.  Note second TP Link is no longer a Router at this point.  

• Agree 1

GrimReaper

Actually, to expand on that: for routers that have native AP mode, said mode effectively transforms WAN port to LAN port and can be left there also. For those that don't have that capability, leaving them in Router mode with DHCP off, assigning static IP and connecting to LAN port will achieve same, WAN port in that case is a no-go. 

Edited by GrimReaper76
Append

rbjtech
8 minutes ago, GrimReaper76 said:

Actually, to expand on that: for routers that have native AP mode, said mode effectively transforms WAN port to LAN port and can be left there also. For those that don't have that capability, leaving them in Router mode with DHCP off, assigning static IP and connecting to LAN port will achieve same, WAN port in that case is a no-go. 

If the OP can advise the model number then we can advise the best setup but LAN > LAN 'should' work for the majority of cases.

GrimReaper
1 minute ago, rbjtech said:

If the OP can advise the model number then we can advise the best setup but LAN > LAN 'should' work for the majority of cases.

I agree, was just pointing out in case that extra port needed to be utilised. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Riptide126 said:

Just for clarification, is the PC in the garage the PC running your Emby Server or is used to connect to your Emby server?

If you are having trouble figuring out how to change the 2nd router to an AP or want some help with this send me a PM and I can do a remote session with you and give you a hand.
Send me a PM if this is something you want to do.

Carlo

• Like 1

Riptide126

Thank you guys for all the good information, I purchased the ethernet splitter that was recommended above and I was going to use it to split the connection between my pc and the router so I could put it in access point mode, in hindsight the reason I could not put it in access point mode was because I was trying to connect to it via ethernet which if it is in access point mode doesn't work. Right now I am waiting for the splitter to arrive but once it does I will see if I can figure it out if not I may take you up on your offer for a remote session cayars. Thank you guys all so much.

Are you talking about a switch?  Why do you need this to put your 2nd router into Access Point mode or to function as a router/AP without supplying NAT or DCHP?
All that's needed is a configuration change to your 2nd router.

Technically it could stay the way it is but then you need to do a double port forward.