HDHomerun Prime and Spectrum cable in the US

BillOatman

BillOatman

Does anyone have this running now with Emby?  I'm curious as to what I would get without a cablecard.  

BillOatman
2 minutes ago, Sammy said:

Without a CableCARD?

A bunch of SD crap or even less than that as in nothing at all. 

Thats what I figured unfortunately.  Thanks.  

Anyone with Spectrum use it with the Cablecard?  Do you get everything you subscribe to?

all4dom

I have spectrum, it's their streaming package & I use channels DVR TV everywhere, which works with emby & i.dont have to worry about cable cards, etc. 

BillOatman

My wife insists on having something that "just works".  So we have cable now.  I was just thinking of having access via Emby as well would be good if possible and reasonable. :)

Sammy

I have two HDHomeRun Primes and all but two channels aren't DRM. Emby works just fine with this setup saving around $100 a month in STB fees and DVR taxes.

It is available anywhere I have an internet connection including in Cancun and Cabo.

I record with it then run the recordings through MCEBuddy to strip commercials and compress the ts files to h.265 movies saving space.

It just works..

20210816_140225.jpg

• Thanks 1

all4dom

@BillOatmanyou can still keep it simple. Go to the channels dvr website. They have a free 7 day trial. You will put your spectrum login info in channels & then you will set it up in emby so you dont even have to use channels & y ou u get to stay in emby. You will be able to view live tv, record etc. This is how I run my setup. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

BillOatman
On 8/16/2021 at 5:03 PM, Sammy said:

I have two HDHomeRun Primes and all but two channels aren't DRM. Emby works just fine with this setup saving around $100 a month in STB fees and DVR taxes.

It is available anywhere I have an internet connection including in Cancun and Cabo.

I record with it then run the recordings through MCEBuddy to strip commercials and compress the ts files to h.265 movies saving space.

It just works..

20210816_140225.jpg

Thanks.  Who is your cable provider?

Sammy
2 hours ago, BillOatman said:

Thanks.  Who is your cable provider?

I have Spectrum which was Charter for years after buying out Falcon Cable in 92503 etc decades ago. It is not a TWC acquisition. It is very light on the DRM. I have Spectrum Select plus DigiTier 1 and 2 with two CableCARDS. It is $150 a month OTD, including Ultra Internet on a two-year promo. My wife and I have different last names and every two years when the promo is about to expire we cancel and put it under the other's name to keep promo pricing. They haven't caught on yet..

Sammy
On 8/16/2021 at 3:57 PM, all4dom said:

@BillOatmanyou can still keep it simple. Go to the channels dvr website. They have a free 7 day trial. You will put your spectrum login info in channels & then you will set it up in emby so you dont even have to use channels & y ou u get to stay in emby. You will be able to view live tv, record etc. This is how I run my setup. 

2 hours ago, all4dom said:

Spectrum cable. I only have a small steam package with networks & a few channels.

@BillOatman

Here's a link for using ChannelsDVR with Emby and here's the thread in the Emby Forum. I did this for a spell too but had issues sorting out the epg and since I already had a CableCARD solution with the Primes I didn't give it much effort. I just recently canceled my ChannelsDVR and Locast subscriptions even though I wasn't using them for a few months already. I suppose if Spectrum stops supporting CableCARD this will be the solution for the future though. Currently all their hardware is CableCARD based so I don't see that happening too soon but they do like to get people to buy an AppleTV from them and their app is a no-go on the AndroidTV platform too.

• Thanks 1