4k Recorded Quality Horrible

MBSki

MBSki

I recorded the Verizon Fios 4k broadcast of the MLB field of dreams game last week from a CableCard HDHomeRun Prime. The quality was horrible. It entire video was pixelated and there were frequent video drop outs. 

Did anyone record the same broadcast or have a similar experience with a different 4k recording? I'm not sure if it was that specific episode or if it's always like that.  

I would try again with the next 4K broadcast available.  While recording you can look at your tuner signal strength to make sure the levels are high else you can get pixelation.

You could also try watching it as well to see if there is a difference between live view vs recorded.

BTW, how did you record 4K with a Prime tuner?

MBSki
18 minutes ago, cayars said:

I would try again with the next 4K broadcast available.  While recording you can look at your tuner signal strength to make sure the levels are high else you can get pixelation.

You could also try watching it as well to see if there is a difference between live view vs recorded.

Yea, I'm looking for another 4k recording, but there aren't many available. 

18 minutes ago, cayars said:

BTW, how did you record 4K with a Prime tuner?

It's this tuner HDHomeRun PRIME - SiliconDust with CableCard. Verizon Fios has 3 4k channels which rarely has anything broadcasting on it. On previous broadcasts I've always recorded using TiVo and it was fine. Maybe Fios just screwed up the broadcast, but I was curious if anyone else had experienced issues with that specific recording as well. 

To the best of my knowledge the Prime is good for up to 1080i resolution but not 4K (hope I'm wrong).
If you use the HDHomeRun software can you watch any of these channels in 4K?

MBSki
1 minute ago, cayars said:

To the best of my knowledge the Prime is good for up to 1080i resolution but not 4K (hope I'm wrong).

Hmmm, well, if that's the case, that would certainly explain the issue. 😁 

2 minutes ago, cayars said:

If you use the HDHomeRun software can you watch any of these channels in 4K?

I'll have to try when there's another broadcast. There isn't another 4k program scheduled within the next 2 weeks. Right now all it displays is a message that it's off air which I'm pretty sure is NOT 4k.  

I'm super interested in this so definitely test this out at your next opportunity!

MBSki
3 hours ago, cayars said:

I'm super interested in this so definitely test this out at your next opportunity!

Will do...as soon as I get a broadcast to test. 😁

• 2 weeks later...
MBSki

@cayars There's a college football game on now and I watched some of it live. It looks a lot better than the MLB field of dreams recording from a few weeks ago. But, I can still see pixelation especially on the grass. I'm recording it right now too, so we'll see how the recording comes out.

• Like 1

MBSki

@cayars I just watched the recording and it was about the same. One thing I noticed on the second viewing is HDR really popped.

Solid colors though just seem to show more pixelation. I'll have to call Verizon about that. I don't recall that happening on TiVo, but it's been almost 2 years since I recorded 4k on the TiVo. 

Bottom line, I'd say 4k on the SD Prime works, it's just not reference quality. 

And this was with the HDHomeRun Prime? 
If so that's a really cool thing as I had no idea it could do that recording 4K.

Can you show us the media info from the detail screen of this college football game.

MBSki
36 minutes ago, cayars said:

If so that's a really cool thing as I had no idea it could do that recording 4K.

Yep, HDHomeRun Prime with CableCard on Verizon Fios.

36 minutes ago, cayars said:

Can you show us the media info from the detail screen of this college football game.

Sure, here you go.

image.png.54c0011fda6c1b67af9b92814dbeae09.png

MBSki
18 minutes ago, clarkss12 said:

21Mbps seems awfully high for HEVC 4k stream.......

Really? 4k Blu ray movies can be up to 100. 21 seems like 1080p to me.

clarkss12
20 minutes ago, mbarylski said:

Really? 4k Blu ray movies can be up to 100. 21 seems like 1080p to me.

That is a cable broadcast steam, in 4k.  Did not know that cable providers used that much bandwidth for a single stream..  But that is a good thing.  

OTA streams are limited to 19Mbps total for both primary and secondary channels.  Some broadcast channels, have one OR two primary channels, and six or more subchannels, all gobbling up that 19Mbps.

generiq

That's likely HLG not HDR10. Emby can't tell the difference. It's surprising to see it broadcast at 59.94Hz, you'd think they'd knock it down to 29.97Hz and use less compression. That's probably what you're seeing....compression artifacts.

MBSki
10 hours ago, generiq said:

It's surprising to see it broadcast at 59.94Hz, you'd think they'd knock it down to 29.97Hz and use less compression. That's probably what you're seeing....compression artifacts.

Yes, that could be. I'll have to call Verizon and report the issue. 

• 1 month later...
jachin99

4k direct stream question for live TV - Emby Server - Emby Community  I have similar questions about Verizon 4K.  I have also noticed that some broadcasts are better than others.  Even at 1080i, which I also believe is what the prime caps out at I can see a big improvement in PQ.  The only issue is that some broadcasts have what look like compression artifacts and others dont.  

• Like 1

jachin99
On 8/28/2021 at 7:02 PM, cayars said:

Just to confirm, I asked on the SD forums also.  https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=76031

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
MBSki

I tried another recording today for a college football game and the results were MUCH better. I reconfigured my setup so now I have a dedicated SSD for recordings and Emby on a dedicated NVME. Playback on an nVidia Shield still says it's transcoding since it's a ts file, but the picture looks fantastic and there are no dropouts or pixilation. Seems like it was just my setup that was holding back the quality. 

• Like 1

SSDs of any kind make a huge difference in my experience!

Glad you got this working a lot better!

• Like 1

MBSki
11 minutes ago, jachin99 said:

By recording drive do you mean the temp transcoding folder or the drive that emby writes recordings to?  Did you change both?

The drive that Emby writes recordings to. I left the transcoding drive as the default.