MB Classic with Total Media Theater 6

rhirschi

rhirschi

Hoping someone can help with with an external player issue.  First, a description of my setup:  I am running MB Classic on a Windows 7 based HTPC.  The MB Classic version number is 3.0.196.07-19.1.  I am running the server on a home server with OS Windows Home Server 2011.  Lastly, I am trying to use Total Media Theater 6 as an external player.  My file system is set up with UNC folder shares.  The movies are ripped from BluRay discs using AnyDVD HD from Slysoft.  I have set up the external player through the MB Configurator - generic profile, pointing to uMCEplayer6.exe in the TMT6 directory.  I have tried two different args, first leaving the default ( {0} ), and second using args suggested in a different thread ( {PATH}/PLAY ).  Either way, the movie will not play.  As for behavior, when I push the "play" button, I see the MB splash screen briefly, and then I'm returned to MB.

I have attached the MB Classic log output.  In the log, I can see a call to TMT6 with the proper UNC path to the movie I'm trying to watch (timestamp 2014-08-30 09:47:29.0074 in the log).  Next, there is an error at time stamp 2014-08-30 09:47:29.5504 as follows: "Error,,Error interpreting Websocket message ......"

Hoping someone can help me understand what is happening.

Thanks much.  Ross Hirschi

MBClassic-30820144df61f5f8da84ee39379cc8b87540c75.log

The websocket error is unrelated and harmless.

In what format are the movies ripped?

We are starting TMT and it is closing immediately.

What happens if you enter the exact same command line shown in the log?

rhirschi

Thanks for your quick response.  I did as you suggested - I copied and pasted the exact command from the log file into a command window and ran it with no luck, however I believe I know the problem.  If I "cd" to the directory containing the program (uMCEPlayer6.exe) and then execute the same command from the log file (without the full path like this: uMCEPlayer.exe "\\Gandalf\d\ServerFolders\Movies\...") it works fine.  I believe the problem is the space in the directory names (Program Files, Total Media Theater 6).  Not a MB Classic problem per se, but I'm not sure how to get around it.  I could change the directory names, or move the executable, but I'm afraid of collateral damage to other things.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.

rhirschi

Update on my issue.  So I copied the Total Media Theater6 folder to a new location: C\ArcSoft\Total_Media_Theater6\uMCEPlayer6.exe.  Note no spaces in the path.  Then I changed the MB Classic external player entry to point to the new location (through the configurator).  Upon running MB Classic  I get the same result, but I can now copy the exact line out of the log file, paste it into a command window, and it runs just fine.  Now I'm really confused.  The only difference it seems is that when MB Classic issues the command it is from within WMC.  When I run via a command window it is not through WMC.  Could that have anything to do with it, I wonder.

Probably has to do with the current directory when the program executes.  TMT probably cannot find some of the components it needs.

In the old days you would add the TMT directory to your PATH environment variable.  I guess that's still what needs to be done but I would have expected the TMT setup to have taken care of that.

rhirschi

I added the TMT directory to my PATH environment variable.  I run MB Classic and attempt to play a movie but with the same result.  However, if I go into the log file and copy the command issued by MB Classic and paste that exact command into a command prompt window, it works fine.  Is there anything that MB Classic is doing different when issuing the command vs. just typing the command into a command prompt window?

In what directory are you when you paste into a command prompt?

Inside MBC you will be in the ProgramData\MediaBrowser-Classic directory.

rhirschi

I tried an experiment by first entering MB Classic via WMC and then tried to launch a movie.  That action failed.  I then opened a command window, changed to the ProgramData\MediaBrowser-Classic directory, copied the exact command from the log file, pasted into the command window, and hit "return".  The movie launched just fine.  I'm trying to imagine what the difference could be, and the only thing I can come up with is WMC.  Is there any interaction between MB Classic and WMC when the "play" command is executed?  I'm scratching my head on this one......

rhirschi

I have found a solution to my problem.  I installed MBT in place of classic, added TMT6 as an external player, and everything works fine now.  I'm still a little perplexed as to why it didn't work in classic, but I have a solution so I'm moving on.  By the way, I'm a long-time user and contributor.  MB is a great product.  

alantoner

Ross,

I have an extremely similar setup to you and I was having the exact same problem as you. I just happened to stumble upon a solution by dumb luck last night. I know the solution sounds crazy but I was able to reproduce the solution on two computers, one running Windows 7 Home Premium and the other running Windows 8.1 pro. I am running Media Browser Classic version 3.0.207.0. In the Media Browser Classic Configurator under External Players, add a generic player and link to C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcSoft\TotalMedia Theatre 6\uMCEPlayer6.exe, leaving the arguments option alone. I ignored the ISO warning, though I doubt that would effect anything. Then, I opened up Media Browser Classic and hit the gear icon for the configuration menu. I changed no options and I hit continue and by sheer magic, it started working. I have no explanation as to why this worked for me but for what ever reason, it did. Hopefully, that will help you out some.