Audio/Video out of sync

Nuitarius

solson440

Gotcha.

It isn't as user friendly as far as a 10 foot interface, but I have Plex installed on all my machines, too. I do not experience this issue with Plex, so I may have to switch until the dev's get this figured out.

bardmaster
1 hour ago, solson440 said:

How do you revert to an older version?

Unless the devs did a db overhaul (which is a very rare and signficant upgrade normally deserving of a left-dot version change, like from 3.xx to 4.xx), it's easy - as is in this case.

1. Shut down the Emby Server

2. Find your Emby server installation files (for Windows that would be located in c:\users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server)

3. Delete the "system" folder (or move it to a temp location if uncomfortable with straight deleting)

4. Rename "system.old" to "system"

5. Start up Emby, make sure you are on the prior version, and re-run the scheduled tasks (at least "Scan Media Library" and "Live TV - Refresh Guide") to re-sync your content

I just did this myself (rolling back from 4.7.1 to 4.6.7) b/c I was experiencing the same audio-out-of-sync issue with Live TV.

Edited by bardmaster

revengineer
8 hours ago, bardmaster said:

Unless the devs did a db overhaul (which is a very rare and signficant upgrade normally deserving of a left-dot version change, like from 3.xx to 4.xx), it's easy - as is in this case.

I am not sure it's that simple and think that in the past we had database changes in some minor version updates as well. Between 4.6.7 and 4.7.2 at the minimum the live TV recording timers seem to have different formats. I did not check other database. May be best to check with the devs in this particular case.

revengineer

Just to add: I encountered the audio sync issue in Emby Theater running on Windows and on Amazon FireTV. In both cases, the programs were direct playing, i.e., no transcoding.

bardmaster
37 minutes ago, revengineer said:

I am not sure it's that simple and think that in the past we had database changes in some minor version updates as well. Between 4.6.7 and 4.7.2 at the minimum the live TV recording timers seem to have different formats. I did not check other database. May be best to check with the devs in this particular case.

Ah, thanks for bringing that up.  It appears I did have to cancel and recreate all my scheduled recordings.  It was actually a good exercise as there was a lot of crap out there I was able to clean up, like canceled/ended shows and shows my wife started recording and decided she didn't like it lol.

Testing the live TV today everything the audio remains perfectly in sync, and so far no other anomalies.

Edited by bardmaster

revengineer
5 minutes ago, bardmaster said:

Testing the live TV today everything the audio remains perfectly in sync, and so far no other anomalies.

Any clue what has changed in your system to make it work?

bardmaster
5 hours ago, revengineer said:

Any clue what has changed in your system to make it work?

Just rolling back Emby from 4.7.1 to 4.6.7.

Spaceboy

its a bit disappointing that there has been only the smallest amount of dev engagement with this issue. its clearly been caused by the most recent stable update and while it doesnt seem to be happening consistently all of the time for all of on this thread it would be good to know that it is being worked on as it is very noticeable. even if we are just at the collection of data stage to try and work out what the root cause is

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spaceboy said:

its a bit disappointing that there has been only the smallest amount of dev engagement with this issue. its clearly been caused by the most recent stable update and while it doesnt seem to be happening consistently all of the time for all of on this thread it would be good to know that it is being worked on as it is very noticeable. even if we are just at the collection of data stage to try and work out what the root cause is

It is being investigated.

revengineer
17 hours ago, bardmaster said:

Just rolling back Emby from 4.7.1 to 4.6.7.

Oh ok, that makes sense. I thought you found a fix for 4.7.x in the process. So we will have to wait an see.

revengineer
10 hours ago, ebr said:

It is being investigated.

Excellent @ebr, I was just getting ready to open another ticket due to lack of dev involvement in this thread. 

@Spaceboy For me the issue is 100% reproducible but not immediately evident. I have not done extensive testing but certainly see it when viewing cable TV with my HD Homerun Prime. The delay is not noticeable at first but increases over time. After ~5 minutes it is terrible and distraction. I have not tried other video sources because I just did not have the time.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, revengineer said:

Excellent @ebr, I was just getting ready to open another ticket due to lack of dev involvement in this thread. 

@Spaceboy For me the issue is 100% reproducible but not immediately evident. I have not done extensive testing but certainly see it when viewing cable TV with my HD Homerun Prime. The delay is not noticeable at first but increases over time. After ~5 minutes it is terrible and distraction. I have not tried other video sources because I just did not have the time.

Hi, can we please look at an example?

Also if you record from the same channel, how does it compare when playing the completed recording?

wmichael3

So, you want logs of playback of a recording?  I included one I just checked. I did submit logs from Android TV back in early April when I first contributed to this thread. 

But this log was from a file recorded on 6/10 that I just played back in a browser. 

The problem is both in live TV, and almost every recording or live viewing from a HD Homerun Prime Tuner.  But it will fix itself later on - for me after 15-20 minutes of bad sync it will usually resync if the recording is long enough.  Then it may be good for an hour and then it might lose sync again. As others have noted, other OTA tuners don't have the problem - just the Prime.

• Indifferent to channel.
  • Indifferent to live versus recorded.
  • Indifferent to skipping or rewinding or resuming.
  • Indifferent to Direct Play, Direct Stream, or Transcoding.
  • Recordings played back in VLC have the same issue.  As does the browser, Roku, and Android TV.
  • I believe the recording process captures the problem you would see if you were watching live although I haven't specifically tried that.  The problem you see live, and recording just captures that, so I believe.
  • Using the HD HomeRun Viewer app you don't see the problem.  

Update: this morning I'm watching a recording as it is being recorded.  After about 15 minutes the sync problem starts, and then at 50:10 in, it fixes itself.  I can skip back and watch the fix, which visually is a slight freeze of the video after which the sync returns.  I have attached the log of that viewing session (I pulled the log while the viewing is paused right where it fixes itself)

ffmpeg-remux-4f4b5403-0c57-4c4d-aeb4-2fade1a45dec_1.txt

ffmpeg-remux-fbf33cb7-a52c-4c6d-8de2-d6f4c8925c77_1.txt

Edited by wmichael3

revengineer

Did anyone try v4.7.3 yet? During my initial testing video and audio remained in sync. However, the release notes did not specifically say that this issue was addressed. So I am curious to hear the experience of other.

Edited by revengineer

wmichael3

I'm on 4.8.0.2 which is the beta channel and it is not fixed in that release.  I gather that 4.7.3 is the most recent release of the stable channel.

VisitorOne

Honestly, I don't see why logs are necessary. It's easily reproduced and I can't image how this got past beta testing. You acknowledge there is a recording problem then start looking at all facet's of the recording code and figure out what was changed in 4.7 that could have effected the recording process.  

revengineer
1 hour ago, wmichael3 said:

I'm on 4.8.0.2 which is the beta channel and it is not fixed in that release.  I gather that 4.7.3 is the most recent release of the stable channel.

Yes stable channel, and I think I was too happy too early. I just watched a show in emby theater that was also recording at this time, and video and audio were out of sync. I tried exiting and rejoining the channel, but then sound was completely gone even after repeated tries. I then tried the web interface and there I get the "no compatible streams" message. It's seems to be a real mess with stuff we spent lots of time fixing several years ago when Live TV was unusable. I am disappointed to be back to square one with the difference that this time around I do not have the time to contribute so I have not choice but to back out and check future versions. Sorry for the rant.

VisitorOne

@revengineer I think you are referring to two different problem. Viewing a recording while it is being recorded is another serious problem. I have experienced the issue just as you described. Both of these issues show be fixed and given they are easily reproduced they show be fixed soon. This has a huge impact on the usability of Emby.  

csadoian
On 6/16/2022 at 2:03 PM, Luke said:

Hi, can we please look at an example?

Also if you record from the same channel, how does it compare when playing the completed recording?

Luke, would it help at all if I provided two simultaneous recordings of my local newscast, one recorded from my HDHomeRun PRIME tuner (i.e. cable) and the other from my HDHomeRun CONNECT tuner (OTA)?  I don't think it would be appropriate to upload them here, but I could make them available to you via a Google Drive link.  The audio sync issue never happens when using the OTA tuners, only then the PRIME tuner is used.  I would probably end up with two 15 minutes clips, maybe this info would help.

revengineer
1 minute ago, VisitorOne said:

@revengineer I think you are referring to two different problem. Viewing a recording while it is being recorded is another serious problem. I have experienced the issue just as you described. Both of these issues show be fixed and given they are easily reproduced they show be fixed soon. This has a huge impact on the usability of Emby.  

Very well possible that I am running into multiple issues simultaneously in my testing. I cannot easily detangle without much more testing.

revengineer
4 minutes ago, solson440 said:

I've switched to Plex for HTPC. I may stick with it...

That's not the solution. I hate Plex, privacy sucks for that software, absolute no go for me.

solson440
5 minutes ago, revengineer said:

That's not the solution. I hate Plex, privacy sucks for that software, absolute no go for me.

Please explain?

wmichael3

In my experience "no compatible streams" always means no tuner channels available on the Prime, assuming it is installed correctly.  That is, all 3 tuners are tuned to something.  I just pull up the Prime's IP in a browser to see what is going on and it is generally my fault.  I do wish the error message was better and like WMC did, it would give you a nice UI to cancel a recording in progress.

But all in all I personally have been quite happy with the progress made on Emby in the past few years - a lot of issues I've had have been fixed and this sync issue is about the only problem I've seen recently - at least that is bothersome to me.  I have a wish list of things (many of which WMC had that I really liked),  like probably everyone else, but for the most part it does what I need and Emby Connect is great for watching on the go while avoiding localization roadblocks.

I will say there seems a general reluctance to acknowledge a bug beyond the "We'll look into it..." and certainly the notes don't indicate when things are fixed beyond the generic "Transcoding improvements...." or similarly vague catchall.  But that is just a quibble.

revengineer
28 minutes ago, wmichael3 said:

In my experience "no compatible streams" always means no tuner channels available on the Prime, assuming it is installed correctly.  That is, all 3 tuners are tuned to something.  

I checked for exactly that at the time and found that only the one tuner was in use, two were available.

28 minutes ago, wmichael3 said:

But all in all I personally have been quite happy with the progress made on Emby in the past few years - a lot of issues I've had have been fixed and this sync issue is about the only problem I've seen recently - at least that is bothersome to me. 

I do agree with that statement, am generally happy, and do not mind staying in 4.6.7 for a while since it has been working great. However, working out the initial issues with Live TV was painful and it took a long time to get it in a usable form. So seeing the regression has me worried.