Audio/Video out of sync

Nuitarius

Nuitarius

Good evening

I have had some issues with audio/video not being in sync. It can be 200-500ms off (rough estimat). This is way more than I can stomach when watching a movie.

I have some observations, that may or may not help in troubleshooting.

Scenario:

1080p VC1 video codec with AC3 5.1 audio track. This combo always gives me sync issues. I have the movies on blu ray disc and none of them have this issue when played in blu ray player. I have a "fix". It is not optimal and it is only near perfect. If I disable "Enable refresh rate switching" then the sync issue is almost gone. But it introduces issues with video as movies are mostly 23.97/24/25 but is sent as 60 fps. This is optically not the best picture for me.

Luckily the combination is not one I meet often, but I have a few.

Is there something I can do to fix this properly? (Without degrading quality of audio/video)

Is there something you can do to fix it properly?

Are there plans to implement a general audio delay function (without transcoding)? Some movies are ever so slightly off (20-50ms) and it would be nice to not have to delay it through pre/pro or shield as that would have to be changed back again.

18 hours ago, Nuitarius said:

Good evening

I have had some issues with audio/video not being in sync. It can be 200-500ms off (rough estimat). This is way more than I can stomach when watching a movie.

I have some observations, that may or may not help in troubleshooting.

Scenario:

1080p VC1 video codec with AC3 5.1 audio track. This combo always gives me sync issues. I have the movies on blu ray disc and none of them have this issue when played in blu ray player. I have a "fix". It is not optimal and it is only near perfect. If I disable "Enable refresh rate switching" then the sync issue is almost gone. But it introduces issues with video as movies are mostly 23.97/24/25 but is sent as 60 fps. This is optically not the best picture for me.

Luckily the combination is not one I meet often, but I have a few.

Is there something I can do to fix this properly? (Without degrading quality of audio/video)

Is there something you can do to fix it properly?

Are there plans to implement a general audio delay function (without transcoding)? Some movies are ever so slightly off (20-50ms) and it would be nice to not have to delay it through pre/pro or shield as that would have to be changed back again.

Hi there, can we please look at an example? Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. thanks !

Hi, just an observation but VC-1 can be very problematic in general once ripped.  It's not a good codec for streaming as not a lot of devices support it and it can be quite intense to transcode in real-time.

Have you thought of converting these rips to AVC or HEVC?
I convert all my rips to HEVC video and don't have any of these issues with any clients.

• 1 month later...

Why can't the Emby client allow an audio ahead/behind offset like Kodi does? It would solve so many issues. This is almost required to adjust headphone sync, even ones that supposedly report a delay offset to the OS.

Sometimes I get slight audio sync issues with Emby that I don't get in other clients.

I have to juggle between playing media on Kodi when Emby gives me an issue. I'd really prefer to use the Emby client exclusively but it's behind in features and is always "best case" feature scenario.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, askog666 said:

Why can't the Emby client allow an audio ahead/behind offset like Kodi does? It would solve so many issues. This is almost required to adjust headphone sync, even ones that supposedly report a delay offset to the OS.

Sometimes I get slight audio sync issues with Emby that I don't get in other clients.

I have to juggle between playing media on Kodi when Emby gives me an issue. I'd really prefer to use the Emby client exclusively but it's behind in features and is always "best case" feature scenario.

It's certainly possible for the future. Are you saying the problem exists in the video file?

1 minute ago, Luke said:

It's certainly possible for the future. Are you saying the problem exists in the video file?

In some cases, some video files have a small sync issue like 200ms.  Of course, we can argue here that the source is to blame and should be fixed.

In rare cases I have noticed that Emby can introduce its own sync issues that don't appear if I stream with Kodi using the Emby Next Gen addon. Sometimes it corrects itself if I pause and start the video again...other times I notice a little jump in the video scene where everything catches up. In a couple of cases the audio is out of sync by 400-500ms so I just watch it on another player and forget about it. The source is not an issue here. I am using a gigabyte LAN and my server is not overloaded.

The biggest problem is headphone playback with bluetooth. I use Sony WH1000XM4 mostly but also have Bose QC2. They are pretty good with the audio sync but require a slight adjustment. I have to use Kodi with Next Gen to watch tv with headphones as I always need to place the audio ahead by 1-200ms to make it just right.

We really need a audio ahead/behind adjustment in steps of 100ms like Kodi does. It would solve several problems and I feel the fact headphone sync is an issue that supersedes any argument about where the fault might lie and should be fixed.

In all the cases i have mentioned, the sync issue is a constant offset and not progressively worse/better as the video goes on. A simple offset adjustment would solve all my occasional issues as well as headphone playback.

• Like 1

Bill LeDuc

I believe this issues is not clearly stated here and i'm surprised there isn't more complaints. I'm using an nvidia Shield pro with Emby and I am having constant sync issues. The issue is not in the source. I will be playing a video (many different formats) and audio is fine. Then I may pause it skip forward or skip back and the audio will be out of sync. Then if I skip back one or two times the audio is back in sync. It's very frustrating. It's obviously a problem with the the player. The same content plays fine on other devices like a LG TV. Thankfully, the skip back fix I found on an old post about this problem or I would not be able to use Emby on my Shield. So this problem has been around awhile.

Edited by Bill LeDuc
Didn't finish the post

• 2 weeks later...
Bill LeDuc

I just checked. Yes, it is still an issue. I reported this two weeks ago. in that time is there a reason it may have been resolved?

• 4 weeks later...
Oydjayvagr

Hello,

I can confirm that Nuitarius was onto something with the 1080p with AC3.
To me it happens a lot with that kind of media and I can confirm as well that it's still an on-going issue (quite old as well)

It happens only with nvidia shield.

• 5 months later...
wmichael3

So I've ran into audio sync issues in the past month or so - with both Live TV and Recorded Live TV on Android TV mostly, but also casting with the Android app.  Before a month ago sync issues happened infrequently and I could exit/resume and fix them, but not now, and they did not occur with Live TV and now they do.  Generally recordings will be synced when first played, but sync problems with be introduced later during playback.  It isn't clear whether skipping starts the problem or not.  I've also seen where the sync will fix itself later in the recordings, but that is less common.  With Live TV, it will always be synced at first - but after pausing/skipping it will eventually be a problem.  This problem is replicated on two different Android TVs (Google TV)

I believe it is always the audio that lags the video.

I am on beta - the .70 of Android TV and the .34 of Emby for Windows Server.

I just sent logs from Android TV -  4/14/22, 1:12pm EDT for mwalker/wmichael3.  This particular recording was one of the few that had sync issues from the very beginning.  I also checked this recording using a browser and can duplicate the problem there - moved from Android TV to a browser and resumed the recording, and it was not synced.

Added this here rather than create a new posting - but I can do that if you wish.

1 hour ago, wmichael3 said:

I also checked this recording using a browser and can duplicate the problem there - moved from Android TV to a browser and resumed the recording, and it was not synced.

So, even playing in the browser it was out of sync?

wmichael3

This one is frustrating - no, not consistent.  Last night we watched 3 different recordings recorded from different channels and they were perfect and I could skip ahead and it did not affect the sync.  But one recording had the problem - it started perfect and then gradually went out of sync as we skipped commercials.

The one I sent logs for is quite bad and is bad in the browser as well and is bad from the very beginning and was just recorded a couple days ago. This week we've also watched live TV where if we pause and later skip through the buffer, it gradually goes out of sync.  Over the weekend I will see if I can find any pattern or something that is consistent.

When it does happen, try watching the same thing again and see if it happens again at the same spot. Thanks.

wmichael3

Watching various things over the weekend and the problem isn't predictable but it is now frequent and it didn't used to be.  Some recordings are perfect, some start out of sync and will then eventually seem to sync, and other recordings appear to lose sync after some skipping back and forth, and just a few are out of sync completely from beginning to end - that is the least common.

And with Live TV, it is always in sync when a channel is first tuned, but will eventually be out of sync.  If I tune a channel it will be fine, but come back after an hour and it will be out of sync.  The longer a channel is tuned the more out of sync it will be.  If I exit and re-tune the channel, it will again be in sync. This problem seems consistent.

This is all new - I've had sync problems in the past with recordings - but it was rare -  and most of the time if I exited and resumed, it might fix itself. Never had a sync problem with Live TV until recently.

When I look at a Live TV stream I see Stream -> HLS (Direct play error), Video -> Direct Play, Audio -> Direct Play.

Edited by wmichael3

38 minutes ago, wmichael3 said:

When I look at a Live TV stream I see Stream -> HLS (Direct play error), Video -> Direct Play, Audio -> Direct Play.

If you are using the Android TV app, that is likely not really an error but the option to direct stream Live TV being turned off in the app (which looks like an error to the server).

It would be interesting to test if you turn on the option to direct stream, does it still lose sync over time?

wmichael3

Ok - tried three different options, and in all of them I lost sync over time with Live TV:

- Default - "Allow video stream copy" - this gives me what used to be labeled as "Direct Stream", but is what I listed above.

- Direct Play - same problem.

- Uncheck "Allow video stream copy" - same problem when transcoding.

I don't know when this started exactly - we were away for a few weeks and it became very noticeable when we returned.  I update the beta server when new releases come out - the Android TV client was updated in early March I think.  I have not tried downgrading the server to an earlier beta.

This is running on a Google TV dongle.

14 hours ago, wmichael3 said:

Direct Play - same problem.

Can you confirm that no ffmpeg log is created in that scenario?

wmichael3

Confirmed - no ffmpeg log created and when set like this I cannot pause Live TV.

I will add something I saw last night - I was watching a recording and it lost sync after a while.  But then, 39 minutes into playback, I noticed that the video froze for a split second and after that it was synced perfectly.  That was repeatable - if I rewound to 37 minutes, it would be out of sync and then at 39 minutes sync would recover after the split second video freeze.  This was recorded Saturday evening.

• 3 weeks later...
wmichael3

Any news on this?  It keeps happening on many recordings.  They all begin playback perfectly synced, but often go out of sync 15-20 minutes in.  Oddly, sometimes the sync will return later in the program like I mentioned previously.  Happened just last night.  On a particular recording the sync dropped on Android TV - later I checked and it also lost sync on the Android app, and using a browser against the server - maybe 20 minutes in the middle of a one hour recording.  The last 10 minutes or so it fixed itself and was fine..  I would say it is happening on 80 percent of recorded TV (HD HomeRun Prime) and this was never a problem before a couple months ago.  Live streaming seems more reliable.  I think the problem is in the recordings themselves.  Now running .38 beta server.

7 minutes ago, wmichael3 said:

Any news on this?  It keeps happening on many recordings.  They all begin playback perfectly synced, but often go out of sync 15-20 minutes in.  Oddly, sometimes the sync will return later in the program like I mentioned previously.  Happened just last night.  On a particular recording the sync dropped on Android TV - later I checked and it also lost sync on the Android app, and using a browser against the server - maybe 20 minutes in the middle of a one hour recording.  The last 10 minutes or so it fixed itself and was fine..  I would say it is happening on 80 percent of recorded TV (HD HomeRun Prime) and this was never a problem before a couple months ago.  Live streaming seems more reliable.  I think the problem is in the recordings themselves.  Now running .38 beta server.

Hi, can you try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and let us know how that compares?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Thanks.