Playback Stops on Galaxy S10+

Jampher

Jampher

Hi there,

I'm hoping I can explain this correctly so here goes.  Recently, the Emby app on my S10+ stopped functioning correctly.  I can log into my server (which is hosted on an Ubuntu 18.04 docker image with the media files being accessed via rclone) and I can see all my libraries and files.  I'm running server version 4.6.4.0 and the android app version is 3.2.07.

The problem happens after the first time I press play on any file.  Essentially what happens is this:

1) When the phone has first started, I go into Emby, select a show/movie/etc., press play, and it plays fine.

2) When I try to skip ahead or back, the playback pauses, the blue circle appears for a while, then the screen goes black.  The file is still "playing", i.e. the app hasn't crashed, but nothing ever happens.

3) The same thing happens when I exit a show/movie/etc. that is playing correctly and try to watch something else.  The blue circle appears here too and nothing ever plays.

Once the error has occurred, I cannot get anything to play until I reboot the phone.  I've tried clearing the cache, the data, uninstalling and reinstalling the app but nothing is working.  On that same phone, I can watch using the Brave browser no problems whatsoever.  Skipping works there and so does leaving one show and then watching another.  I have no issues with my network, every other device in my house works fine (Fire TV, Windows Emby Theatre, my wife's iPhone).  It's just my Samsung Galaxy S10+ that is being difficult.

What's interesting to note is, that I can download files through the Emby app and playback there is perfect.  No issues whatsoever.  It's only when streaming that the issue occurs and only with the app.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

embyserver.txt 320e770b-472e-4c60-83f3-e0dae394b49c.txt

This sounds like an rclone issue.

As a test try coping a couple of pieces of media local to Ubuntu and add them to a library and try playing back.

If the problem is gone and these play back correctly you will know it's an rclone/cloud drive issue.

This test will help to diagnose where the issue is.

Jampher

Hey, thanks for responding!  It appears you are correct.  I added a few files to the server's local drive and it seems to function without issue.  Odd that this issue only exists with the android app though as I don't have this issue with any other device accessing the same rclone mount.

Jampher

Playback still works perfectly when using the web interface on my phone.  If it were an rclone issue, wouldn't it affect playback there as well in the same way?

5 hours ago, Jampher said:

Playback still works perfectly when using the web interface on my phone.  If it were an rclone issue, wouldn't it affect playback there as well in the same way?

They play with different players and methods, so not necessarily.

In addition to what cayars asked you to try, you could also try lowering the in-app quality setting to have the server transcode the media to a lower bitrate.

Jampher

Thanks Luke. Yeah, I tried lowering the bit rate and still no joy, unfortunately. I've just added the web app as an icon on my home screen and am using that for now. Just a really strange thing to happen suddenly as the app was working perfectly last week!

12 hours ago, Jampher said:

Thanks Luke. Yeah, I tried lowering the bit rate and still no joy, unfortunately. I've just added the web app as an icon on my home screen and am using that for now. Just a really strange thing to happen suddenly as the app was working perfectly last week!

Can we see a log file example from lowering the quality setting? thanks.

Can you try setting it to 1 mbps? Then work your way up as you see success. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

Is it possible that this is all your connection can handle? Sounds like you might have some ISP throttling occurring.

Jampher

I checked my router and it doesn't appear to have any throttling. My phone uses WiFi 6 to connect to it so the connection is pretty solid. I did try a reboot of the router and I checked all the settings.

18 minutes ago, Jampher said:

I checked my router and it doesn't appear to have any throttling. My phone uses WiFi 6 to connect to it so the connection is pretty solid. I did try a reboot of the router and I checked all the settings.

The throttling is something that would happen at the ISP level, something you can't prevent or control. This is a remote connection, right? It appeared to be from the logs.

Jampher

It's a local connection but it's routed through my domain on CloudFlare. I checked there as well, in case there was something throttling it there but I can't see anything. 

The throttling could also be occurring on the client end of the connection. 

What you can try to do as a test, is use the web app on the device as you're running the android app, and download one of your video files directly. Then see how fast that download goes. How fast does it go?

Jampher

I started a movie on the Android app and then tried to download a video from the web app at the same time. The download was at a normal rate for my internet connection. Didn't notice any slowdown.

Edited by Jampher

12 hours ago, Jampher said:

It's a local connection but it's routed through my domain on CloudFlare. I checked there as well, in case there was something throttling it there but I can't see anything. 

What happens if you just use the local IP/port as shown on the Emby Dashboard eliminating the route out the internet to Cloudflare and back to your server?

xiban111

This problem is in OnePlus 5 Android 10 for a long time. I have this problem with Exoplayer, so I have been using libmpv's old version, I have disappointed Emby.

xiban111

In one plus 5, Emby also has a video fever problem, my CPU is Qualcomm 835, YouTube and NPLayer do not exist fever problems.

Jampher

Glad I'm not the only one experiencing this! And, to answer your question @cayars, the issue persists when using the local IP.