Music library displays no graphics

Psyborg
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

Psyborg

After upgrading to Emby Server 4.6.4.0 my music library no longer displays graphics.

Every MP3 song of every album in my collection contains an embedded album image. Each folder includes a folder.jpg. I also did a new library scan after the upgrade.

So I don't know why the views are all blank now. - How can I fix this or is this a problem of the Emby server release?

image.thumb.png.61b25988b2b86d0279550847330bdd39.png

image.thumb.png.622178f0035602fa29c5b3fef1e3676a.png

Happy2Play

What is your Music library "Music folder structure:" option set to?

Psyborg

"Unstructured".

If we are not quite sure that the music is "perfectly" organized, we are advised to choose "unstructured". So it seems like a natural choice. A large potion of my library is well organized, but there are parts which are not.

I would expect that embedded image information in songs are always analyzed by the library scan, or at least that existing folder.jpg's are generally used. 

Folder images will only be used if using "Perfect" otherwise it should use embedded graphics.

If you don't allow it to read meta-data then how is it going to pull the graphic?

Music does not read from NFO files, it only writes them for other programs to use.

Edited by cayars

Psyborg

So if I deactivate "Nfo" it will read the embedded graphics? (I did not touch this option, it is standard.)

Would not be logical because the other metadata embedded in the music, the MP3 tags, are read and used by Emby. Why not the embedded graphics?

Psyborg

No, not yet. Thanks for the hint! Obviously I was to radical in my aim to deactivate all external downloads. I try to rescan my music library now.

But shouldn't there be a fallback solution that Emby uses local folder.jpg's instead? Perhaps an option here would make sense: 

image.png.a84cee3d70c7e75bbdbe40396e1324b6.png

By the way: The folder tab view uses folder.jpg's automatically. However, when opening a folder, unfortunately no graphics are displayed. 

1 minute ago, Psyborg said:

But shouldn't there be a fallback solution that Emby uses local folder.jpg's instead

If your library organization is "unstructured" then we have nowhere to go to get those images.  That's why Carlo mentioned only "perfectly organized" could use album images in the file system.

It's all in the library settings you configure.  As ebr pointed out what is Image Extractor set to?

Emby can/will use images in folders if named correctly but you need to have your music library set to use one of the "Perfect" library types.
https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159113-music-naming

BTW, if in doubt of settings to use try a small test library with 5 to 10 albums that you can blow away quickly and set backup to get the settings correct for your media.

Psyborg
8 minutes ago, cayars said:

BTW, if in doubt of settings to use try a small test library with 5 to 10 albums that you can blow away quickly and set backup to get the settings correct for your media.

Good idea.
(I am usually a little hesitant to add a new library because it triggers a complete scan of all libraries all the time, which I don't like.)

Like I said, "Song Image Fetchers" was not activated.  I will try it and see what the best solution is for me.

Thank you all for the help!

1 minute ago, Psyborg said:

Good idea.
(I am usually a little hesitant to add a new library because it triggers a complete scan of all libraries all the time, which I don't like.)

Kill the global scan then go to the new library, hover over it for the 3 dot menu and perform a library scan of just that lib.  You won't get the progress showing on the dashboard but can see the library percentage change a few times as it scans the new lib.  With a smallish library a couple of minutes is likely enough time to wait before you view it.

• Like 2

Psyborg

3 hours ago, cayars said:

Kill the global scan then go to the new library, hover over it for the 3 dot menu and perform a library scan of just that lib.  You won't get the progress showing on the dashboard but can see the library percentage change a few times as it scans the new lib.  With a smallish library a couple of minutes is likely enough time to wait before you view it.

It worked on my test library. In my special case the settings "Other or unstructured" or "Perfectly organized" seem to make no difference. Graphics, if existing, are used again now.

BTW: I got no progress overlay for the test music library. Also the hopefully still running scan of my 'real' music library shows no progress icon, even in the library overview. I will give feedback when it has ran through. 

Happy2Play
7 minutes ago, Psyborg said:

BTW: I got no progress overlay for the test music library. Also the hopefully still running scan of my 'real' music library shows no progress icon, even in the library overview. I will give feedback when it has ran through. 

It really depends on the size of the library as mine shows for a second or two.

image.png.1e804de646ddbcc26ce7173a6d6b54be.png

Psyborg
23 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

It really depends on the size of the library as mine shows for a second or two.

image.png.1e804de646ddbcc26ce7173a6d6b54be.png

Thanks. That was the case for the small test library, and possibly with my 'real' one too (for the latter I couldn't see the progress icon). I had to delete the music library and then add it again to trigger a library scan with consequences.

So enabling the 'Song Image Fetchers: Image Extractor' option does not force image extraction from an existing library.

9 minutes ago, Psyborg said:

So enabling the 'Song Image Fetchers: Image Extractor' option does not force image extraction from an existing library.

When you edit your library options, make sure to read the help text at the top of the dialog.