What is the best setup regarding my available stuff

Fredowulf

Fredowulf

Hi,

And thanks for this software. 

Right now I'm running emby server (premiere) on synology app (NAS is a 918+) ; client is installed on a first generation nvidia shield . All is connected via ethernet. Sometimes (rarely to be frank, very rarely) I got stuttering, mainly x or h265 files. 

I get two months ago a second hand elitedesk G4 mini (UHD Graphics 630) and installed linux (ubuntu 20.04 server) to run some valheim, minecraft and conan exiles servers via docker. And I wonder if using an emby container on this linux computer would improve performances. CPU is way better in the G4 than in the NAS. RAM is the same, 32Go. 

I have several questions, having close to none tech skill.

1- In my current setup (syno server to shield), which is "decoding" the stream ? NAS is decoding, and shield just have to display ? Shield is decoding, NAS being just providing the files for the shield to decode ? 

2- In my current setup, is there some tips I should use to improve streaming ? 

3- In my current setup, should I check somewhere if some sort of hardware acceleration is activated ? On the NAS ? The Shield ? 

4- Would using linux server as a host for an emby container, NAS only for storage and the shield as a client improve the experience ? 

Once again thanks for the program, and the forum. I have a lot of informations available should I install emby docker on linux...

Regards,

F. 

First question I would ask is do you share to remote users or is this just for in house use?

That probably dictates how much need for transcoding you have.

Fredowulf

Hello Cayars,

Thanks for your input ! 

I guess it's a 90/10 mix : mainly in house use, but when we are on vacation remote use. That's not really often, last year I think we watched 3 or 4 movies like that.

Thus daily use is in house, we can forego remote. 

Regards,

F. 

I would add this.  Since you already have the G4, you have nothing to lose by giving this a test.

You could setup Emby Server via docker on that machine and setup a single library to use for some testing.

Depending on the config of the G4 it could be faster and handle transcoding better for you.
There should be no problem having two Emby Servers pointed to the same media folders and you may prefer having a backup server at the ready even if you don't keep the docker version running all the time.

Fredowulf

Yep, this is an elegant and pragmatic solution : thanks a lot ! I'll do it asap and will make some test using h265 files.

Regarding the first three questions in the original post, do somebody has an idea ? 

Most likely the Shield TV. Look at the web dashboard when playing back to see what playback method is used.
https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001920144-direct-play-vs-direct-streaming-vs-transcoding

Check the Transcoding menu as this is where hardware transcoding is setup and activated.