Guide Posters Blurred

GrimReaper

GrimReaper

Why are Guide posters so heavily downscaled/blurred, in both Web App and Theater? 

Both On Now Home Screen row and Live TV Programmes tab show nice sharp images, whereas Guide posters loss of sharpness is apparent and are visibly blurred (look at Ratings row). IRL it appears even worse, it's literally completely taking over your focus immediately. 

Screenshot 2021-08-12 171053.png

Screenshot 2021-08-12 171117.png

Screenshot 2021-08-12 171346.png

Edit: Well, it appears Forum uploads are also downscaled, if needed I'll upload originals to imgur. 

Edited by GrimReaper76
Append

GrimReaper
2 hours ago, GrimReaper76 said:

Edit: Well, it appears Forum uploads are also downscaled, if needed I'll upload originals to imgur. 

I'll upload. 

• Like 1

GrimReaper

https://imgur.com/a/GjdV9Gi

Open last image in new tab, it'll be self explanatory. Check Title and ratings row and overall image quality.

Once a movie is clicked inside Guide, your eyes are automatically glued to the poster. And not in a positive way: it doesn't have that WOW effect - it has the WTF effect. Like it literally doesn't belong.

Edited by GrimReaper76

So the first two images are fine but the 3rd (the detail panel) is fuzzy?

I'm guessing it doesn't reload the image and, instead, is just scaling it up.

GrimReaper
13 minutes ago, ebr said:

So the first two images are fine but the 3rd (the detail panel) is fuzzy?

I'm guessing it doesn't reload the image and, instead, is just scaling it up.

There's a fourth image side-by-side comparison in the imgur link. 

Edit: I don't know what's there to scale up, poster is as-is, there are no images in the Guide, once an item is clicked the poster shown in the details is same-size as elsewhere, should be as sharp as the others. What makes it particulary stand-out is the sharpness of all surrounding items: text, rating, buttons. The effect in live is like 10 times worse that in that comparison pic. 

Edited by GrimReaper76
Append

Hmm, mine are crystal clear and look like this:
image.png.20c6b571597f413ffacc9288b81b2b97.png

image.thumb.png.9ae1944d778307205553a7cef41618b2.png

What is your source for guide data?

Edited by cayars

GrimReaper

And that is what I'm trying to achieve. Guide source is Virtual TV. Point is, all posters are returned by it, those that show in On Now, Programmes tab and Guide (and it is obvious they are passed urls because they have no CA or Iconic treatment) - so why they don't show at same quality everywhere? Btw did you check that comparison pic? 

Edited by GrimReaper76
Append

Yes, in your comparison pic there is a difference but I also see rating info that I don't get so it looks like a modified poster to me and not the original artwork.

GrimReaper

Those are my local posters with RPDB treatment, they all have ratings row at the bottom. 

Edit: To make it more clear: all poster.jpgs look like that, it is original artwork. 

Edited by GrimReaper76
Append
  • Thanks 1

pünktchen

I would guess real live tv images don't get scaled because they are already at a relative small resolution, but the library images that VirtualTV is using are exceeding some internal max. resolution and do get scaled down with a very bad algorithm.

• Thanks 1

GrimReaper
1 minute ago, pünktchen said:

I would guess real live tv images don't get scaled because they are already at a relative small resolution, but the library images that VirtualTV is using are exceeding some internal max. resolution and do get scaled down with a very bad algorithm.

Thanks, we'll see what the Devs say, although it doesn't make much sense to scale them down for Guide only - for what purpose? Either they should be scaled down throughout the UI sections (God forbid) or presented at the same quality throughout, presentation size is apparently same or similar, to the naked eye, why the downscale? 

pünktchen

I am right. At least for the web. It gets downscaled to 200px height by Emby and then upscaled by my browser to approx 300px height:

Scaling.thumb.png.871a34535c74c66268571aae12788204.png

GrimReaper

That's really poor, 200px height. 

Edit: I reckon that with clean posters that fuzziness generally ain't that much noticeable (with the emphasis on "that much"), but that ratings row is making it painfully obvious, bordering on unbearable. Screenshots don't give it justice, how bad it looks. 

Edited by GrimReaper76
Append

• 1 year later...
GrimReaper
On 8/12/2021 at 11:12 PM, pünktchen said:

I am right. At least for the web. It gets downscaled to 200px height by Emby and then upscaled by my browser to approx 300px height:

Scaling.thumb.png.871a34535c74c66268571aae12788204.png

@Luke Still seeing this; can we please not downscale as much, as it looks atrocious? Thank you.

image.thumb.png.b8bc33896328e2b3290fe31c00848ece.png

samsung2100

I have never noticed blurry images ever, not in guide for live tv or for movies/ tv shows, that is odd and I just checked all my images are crystal clear on even my 200 inch short throw tv after reading this I had to look. Could it be that your server is running out of juice or low in ram cpu slower ? If it was a serious issue everyone would be saying something about it you would think. If it gets down scaled then up scaled I see no issues whatsoever on my viewing platforms. Good luck hopefully it's something you get sorted out.

• Thanks 1