What kind of 3rd party tools/apps for Emby would you find beneficial?

samboo

Hi All,

I am an Emby enthusiast and computer science student heading into my final year of university.

As part of my degree, I’m required to complete an individual project and would like to base this around Emby.

My initial idea was to create an app for Emby similar to tautulli, and while this is still something I am interested in, I have recently discovered EmbyStat which seems to offer something comparable.

As such, I thought I would ask you, the community, if there were any software tools/features that aren’t currently available that you would find useful for Emby. I’m open to any suggestions, but as I am not part of the Emby dev team, there is a limit to the functionality that could be achieved.

I need to propose and agree the project with my professor in the next few weeks, so any ideas you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• Like 2

Bigmack3000

I don't know if this is what you're looking for and/or is even possible, but I've always thought it'd be great if Emby had the "boil the frog" app from spotify:

https://developer.spotify.com/community/showcase/boil-frog/

You give the app 2 songs and it creates a playlist from your music that gradually connects 1 song to the other.

Here's the actual site:

http://boilthefrog.playlistmachinery.com/index.html

Edited by Bigmack3000

fillidill

That's really cool, best of luck to you :)

As I am not really a heavy developer myself this may be a stupid idea but I would love to have a section/a hub in Emby that is purely for recommending new media (movies, tv-shows, music, books, games?) that is not already in my library. It could periodically retrieve externally things like media with ratings, descriptions, trailers and so on which can be sorted/filtered in a easy way. Even cooler if the suggestions it gave where based on actual media I already have or if I myself could define what I am looking for. 

19 hours ago, Bigmack3000 said:

I don't know if this is what you're looking for and/or is even possible, but I've always thought it'd be great if Emby had the "boil the frog" app from spotify:

https://developer.spotify.com/community/showcase/boil-frog/

You give the app 2 songs and it creates a playlist from your music that gradually connects 1 song to the other.

Here's the actual site:

http://boilthefrog.playlistmachinery.com/index.html

I hadn’t come across this before. It’s a cool idea.

So you’d like to be able to create a playlist which links one artist to another, but from the music you have in your library rather than on Spotify?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, fillidill said:

That's really cool, best of luck to you :)

As I am not really a heavy developer myself this may be a stupid idea but I would love to have a section/a hub in Emby that is purely for recommending new media (movies, tv-shows, music, books, games?) that is not already in my library. It could periodically retrieve externally things like media with ratings, descriptions, trailers and so on which can be sorted/filtered in a easy way. Even cooler if the suggestions it gave where based on actual media I already have or if I myself could define what I am looking for. 

Thanks!

I agree this would be useful to have.

I definitely think it’s achievable for Movies and TV Shows, as there are APIs that provide this kind of data.

I’d have to research how to then display the recommendations within Emby clients, as I’m not sure what kind of permissions 3rd part plugins are given over the interfaces.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, samboo said:

I’d have to research how to then display the recommendations within Emby clients, as I’m not sure what kind of permissions 3rd part plugins are given over the interfaces.

You would probably want to create it as a channel plug-in and then it would show as a "Library" in My Media.  Then you could have different categories under that.  See the Trailer plug-in as an example.

• Like 1

GrimReaper

I'm pretty sure @chef was developing something similar in the past, with his New Releases & Top Picks plugins, utilising Channel plugin approach, you might wanna look at those as an example also, lemme find the thread. 

Edit:

I remember there were some issues with double database entries being created, don't know if anything came out of it, was it ever sorted or not. But i do see that progress there is a bit on a hiatus, so this would be quite a nice addition. 👍

Edited by GrimReaper76
Link
  • Like 1

Bigmack3000
1 hour ago, samboo said:

I hadn’t come across this before. It’s a cool idea.

So you’d like to be able to create a playlist which links one artist to another, but from the music you have in your library rather than on Spotify?

That's exactly right.  Also similar to itunes smart playlists before they took that feature away.

37 minutes ago, Bigmack3000 said:

Also similar to itunes smart playlists

Emby already has this built in.  It's called "Instant Mix".  I'm sure it isn't the same as the boiling frog thing but it builds a playlist based on a particular song or artist.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

Sorry for the lack of activity on this thread.

I've agreed to design a content recommender system for Emby with my supervising Professor and have recently began researching this.

It is currently envisioned that the application will be:

• 'Smart' (possibly using machine learning).
  • Monitor the viewing activity of users on a server.
  • Create personalised recommendation lists based on this activity.
  • Present these recommendations to users within Emby clients.

This is very similar to how Netflix's recommendation service works.

However, one of the main obstacles to overcome when creating accurate recommender systems is obtaining enough historical data. Obviously this is no issue for Netflix and the like as they have millions of users watch history to compare and work with.

I'm in the process of trying to define a workable solution around this. GroupLens do provide a large dataset of movie ratings that will be useful - however, this doesn't include TV Show data. Trakt would be a great source, but they don't publicly release this kind of information.

Anyway, I thought I'd provide an update on where things stand.

Once I've completed a large portion of development I will need a group of Emby administrators to undertake testing for me - It would be great if anyone willing to participate could let me know.

@ebr and @Luke is there anyone in the team I would be able to communicated with on the Emby side of things? Just to ask the occasional question or discuss implementation ideas? 

Thanks

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Luke said:

HI @samboo, yes @cayars can do that with you. Thanks !

Great. Thanks for that.

Out of interest, does the current 'suggestion' feature find movies from the same genre, or does it take other factors into account?

3 minutes ago, samboo said:

Great. Thanks for that.

Out of interest, does the current 'suggestion' feature find movies from the same genre, or does it take other factors into account?

It uses pretty much all available data that can be compared, such as genres, tags, common actors, the years, ratings, etc.

3 minutes ago, Luke said:

It uses pretty much all available data that can be compared, such as genres, tags, common actors, the years, ratings, etc.

Okay. So essentially a content-based recommender? What similarity function does it use (if you don't mind me asking)?

1 minute ago, samboo said:

Okay. So essentially a content-based recommender? What similarity function does it use (if you don't mind me asking)?

Our own. It just compares values in the database.

• 4 weeks later...