Play music through echo dot

FeankGio
Go to solution Solved by Carlo,

FeankGio

Hi,

New user to the really great Emby World!

I've install the server app on m'y local server, add my music and movies medias to folders and link it to emby.

All the "videos" thing work really great!! It Play on m'y tv or laptop etc via Chromecast flawlessly!!

But, how can I Play songs directly through Amazon echo dot?? Or any speaker?.. and.. without 1/8" Jack cable.

Cant fin any skill on Amazon app or Button on Emby app to Do so..

And.. here all thread about this is so old.

Any solution? Or update?

Thanks!

Edited by FeankGio
Autocorrector

Hi, one of the requirements of Alexa Skills is that to playback media on the Dot the website you are using has to be secured.

I know I have my Emby Server setup using the standard SSL port of 443 and my music will play back on the Echo devices.

Do you know how to setup your Emby Server with a cert?

It's not hard if you know what you're doing but it can probably be one of the harder things to do if you've never done it before.

It's not hard because of Emby implementation but just the way the Internet works.

First thing is you want to make sure you have Emby setup so it works with port 8096.  Even though you won't be using this port it's a good idea to make sure your ISP isn't blocking you from running your own services.

What you will need is a domain name to start with as a certificate is tied to the Domain.
So to start with make sure you can get Emby working remotely then find a domain that's available that you like.

Let us know when you have those two steps done.
We can assist you with the setup via a remote session to make this a little easier if needed.

FeankGio

Thanks you vert Much to help me! Really Quick response! You rock!!

In fact, I already have  a duckdns URL to get  home assistant and BlueIris accessible from the outside! So, I'll use that URL!

I set a port on Emby and open it on my router like I did for the others application that I want to access from Wan!

Now, I'm stuck to the "create ssl certificate" (on Windows server 2019) step ^^

That's the semi-tricky part.  First you have to get a legit cert for the domain which you may have trouble with as you don't own.  I think there are certs available that can do this by I'm clueless on that as I always use domains I've registered and have complete control over.

Maybe someone else can chime in if they know if this can be done and what cert to get for it.

FeankGio

Ho ok so I can't use unsigned or self-signed certificate?

And on the other side, is There any way to connect it locally? Over lan?

(Maybe by connecting  home assistant to Emby,.. cause my echo dot is already connected to with a custom skill!) 

I'll Search for a way to get a legit cert :) 

Self-signed certs are out because you have no way to control acceptance of this on the different hardware clients like Android, Android TV, Roku, Samsung, LG, Apple TV, Xbox, etc

Lets Encrypt is a popular choice that provides free certs that many people use.

There is no circumventing the https requirement that I know of for playback on the Alexa/Echo devices.

For control of other devices this isn't needed.

rbjtech

As long as the 'active speaker' is DLNA (99.9% of them are) - then there is no need to do anything with SSL because you are using the local network - and Emby should just find it and be able to play to it (assuming it's on the same broadcast network).

I wasn't actually aware you could play to a Echo Dot - there is no emby client, so how are you going to broadcast to it even if you do have an SSL connection ?  Do you have to use the Emby Skill and ask Alexa to play 'blah blah' .. there is no way to 'cast' to it from another client ?

Edited by rbjtech

Yes it's all voice controlled where you basically ask Alexa to play X album to "name of Echo box" type thing.

It's like using your own Emby server instead of Spotify or other online music service.

You can't "cast" to it in the same sense as other Emby Clients or DLNA devices.

• Thanks 1

rbjtech

Hi Carlo, yes thanks I know that bit (I have it setup myself .. haha) - but I think the OP just wants to be able to use the Echo as a playback device ?  Maybe I have misunderstood.

Oh, if that is actually the question then no you can't cast to it that I'm aware of as you have to use the Alexa skill to play it back via the Echo/Alexa.

FeankGio

Yess rbjtech!

I only want to Play my Emby music on echo dot (like Spotify do for exemple).

And yup cayars I try to use Alexa skill but When I have to choose my server, I got empty list.. like 1st picture. Do I need the premiere version of Emby?

I tried also to add service to Alexa (like Spotify work) but I cant add custom service. (See second picture) maybe with custom skill and https/cert.

I'll try Let's encrypt to see what i got with! Do you have a premiere acount cayars?

Screenshot_2021-08-10-15-02-04-050.jpg

Screenshot_2021-08-10-12-54-36-741.jpg

FeankGio

Ho in between I try to connect it with Bluetooth wich is work but, the really cool things would be,.. to choose within Emby wich echo device(s) to Play on!

On 8/10/2021 at 6:58 AM, FeankGio said:

And on the other side, is There any way to connect it locally? Over lan?

Hi.  I doubt this will ever be possible.  The security risk for Amazon would be huuuuge :).

FeankGio

Ho kk .

By the way, I'm Still in "test" mode with Emby. But I'll surrelly Buy the premier lifetime pass! To sync my mobiles device and try to connect my audio devices!

So, if I understand well, with Premier, legit certs (with Let's encrypt) and Alexa skill, I'll be able to see my echo device on Emby and Play music on?

HaHa the Risk of loose user's connection to tueur server! 😅 

Other than taht, in wich way it would be a security Risk ebr?  (sorry for m'y missunderstanding ^^)

Through voice commands you will be able to play your music library back through your Echo or other compatible Alexa devices.

2 hours ago, FeankGio said:

I'll be able to see my echo device on Emby and Play music on?

1 hour ago, cayars said:

Through voice commands you will be able to play your music library back through your Echo or other compatible Alexa devices.

Like Carlo says, you will be able to play on the device if you ask Alexa to do it.  The device will not show up as a cast target in the Emby Apps.

2 hours ago, FeankGio said:

Other than taht, in wich way it would be a security Risk ebr?

Imagine Amazon selling a device everyone puts in their home that can connect to all the other devices in that home.  Imagine what kind of programs (or "skills") that could be written to steal information from devices on your network.  Basically, viruses for your Alexa (or thermostat, etc.).  The way they make sure no one can ever create something like this is by never allowing a connection to another device on the local network.

• Agree 1

On 8/11/2021 at 10:42 AM, FeankGio said:

Ho kk .

By the way, I'm Still in "test" mode with Emby. But I'll surrelly Buy the premier lifetime pass! To sync my mobiles device and try to connect my audio devices!

So, if I understand well, with Premier, legit certs (with Let's encrypt) and Alexa skill, I'll be able to see my echo device on Emby and Play music on?

HaHa the Risk of loose user's connection to tueur server! 😅 

Other than taht, in wich way it would be a security Risk ebr?  (sorry for m'y missunderstanding ^^)

FrankGio

I purchased the lifetime pass and can access my music via Alexa directly. I've had a number of issues that really haven't been resolved however. I would recommend you start with a monthly pass to try it out the skill before you commit to the lifetime one.

You can get all the SSL stuff set up first before you subscribe.

• Like 2

On 8/11/2021 at 10:48 AM, ebr said:

Like Carlo says, you will be able to play on the device if you ask Alexa to do it.  The device will not show up as a cast target in the Emby Apps.

Imagine Amazon selling a device everyone puts in their home that can connect to all the other devices in that home.  Imagine what kind of programs (or "skills") that could be written to steal information from devices on your network.  Basically, viruses for your Alexa (or thermostat, etc.).  The way they make sure no one can ever create something like this is by never allowing a connection to another device on the local network.

Think more nefarious. They cannot allow your device to become exploited because the next chess move is to create a botnet. It is a calculated step and  they can wait for years until they have enough bots on all these Amazon devices. Then push the button to activate them all and DDOS some host into the ground for eternity. That is what all these IOT devices are capable of. They are targets for control and obfuscate who is in control of the DDOS.

https://www.nccoe.nist.gov/projects/building-blocks/mitigating-iot-based-ddos

Edited by speechles