Need to have seperate 2D and 3D mkv's?

hadri

Hi all, new to this forum so please be gentle! Just started using MB and I think it's awesome!

I'm not sure if this is more of a MakleMKV question, but here goes: I'm currently converting all my discs to mkv's and have just encountered my first 3D blu-ray which has a seperate 2D disc.

I've just converted the 3D in MakeMKV and included the mpeg-4 MVC 3D video:

post-5396-0-13147000-1409398691_thumb.png

Streaming it from MB server to MB android on a 2D TV works fine (I was expecting it to be blurry). From this, I'm presuming the MVC 3D element is a seperate entity that is called up when you want to watch 3D???? If thats the case, whats the point in a seperate 2D disc!?

Basically, is there any point having a seperate 2D video? Is this 3D video missing something compared to the 2D when its just watched in 2D?

Lastly, can MB recognise there is 3D content in the file and display it, like the same way it does for 1080p for example?

Thanks in advance

crashkelly

Hi all, new to this forum so please be gentle! Just started using MB and I think it's awesome!

I'm not sure if this is more of a MakleMKV question, but here goes: I'm currently converting all my discs to mkv's and have just encountered my first 3D blu-ray which has a seperate 2D disc.

I've just converted the 3D in MakeMKV and included the mpeg-4 MVC 3D video:

attachicon.gifmake mkv.PNG

Streaming it from MB server to MB android on a 2D TV works fine (I was expecting it to be blurry). From this, I'm presuming the MVC 3D element is a seperate entity that is called up when you want to watch 3D???? If thats the case, whats the point in a seperate 2D disc!?

Basically, is there any point having a seperate 2D video? Is this 3D video missing something compared to the 2D when its just watched in 2D?

Lastly, can MB recognise there is 3D content in the file and display it, like the same way it does for 1080p for example?

Thanks in advance

Hey there,

Take a look at http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/674-media-files-folders-structure/#3D Videos for the naming convention for 3D movies.

I am still a "rip to ISO" guy but I will use the convention to get MBS to see it as 3D and apply my CoverArt 3D logo

There are posts around that speak to multiple versions of the same movie in a folder, but I have not investigated it to much but I will what I can dig up

Cheers

CrashKelly

EDIT: Check out http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/blog/1/entry-52-media-browser-server-305211-released/ for the blog post on multiple versions in the same folder. I am not sure how 3D affects this, or doesn't for that matter, but it is a start

Cheers

Edited by crashkelly
  • Like 1