Official Steam Version.

Mkilbride

13 minutes ago, skobkin said:

It's a mystery to me why Emby Theater has Flatpak version but isn't published on Flathub or at least has it's own Flatpak repository which could've been added to package managers.

HI, yes it's a good idea. We just haven't gotten to it yet.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
DreadMore

Installed and can go through library, but cannot start a player - wanted to try to add VLC as external player but have no clue how to perform this on SteamOS.
Anyone has any bright ideas?

DreadMore

When trying to run with internal player (no external players set), hitting play just shows me infinite loading hourglass (that circling rainbow like circle in the center) over in the background, but nothing loads in. Using Firefox with Emby web client yields no issues (can download media, can play them directly etc.)

When trying to use external player (VLC), which I believe I am setting wrong (I've never set external players in linux like env for Emby Theather yet)
I get 

"Error launching process: Type error: Cannot read property 'toString' of undefined"

I wanted to try using VLC, because VLC has no issues playing downloaded files - I thought that it could also handle streaming from server a little different. But hope internal player works too (the player memory//history function is radical)

EDIT:
My settings for external player are:

Player path:
/usr/bin/

Command line arguments:

flatpack run --branch=stable --arch=x86_64 --command=/app/bin.vlc --file-forwarding org.videlan.VLC --started-from-file @@ {path} @@

(not on separate line, not sure how it would look)

Edited by DreadMore

DreadMore

I've also tried VLC with following settings, same error as above.

Player Path:

/usr/bin/flatpak

Command line arguments

run
--branch=stable
--arch=x86_64
--command=/app/bin/vlc
--file-forwarding org.videolan.VLC
--started-from-file @@ {path} @@
Edited by DreadMore
typo in "videolan" and "." to "/"

8 hours ago, DreadMore said:

(not on separate line, not sure how it would look)

Hi, it won't work unless each argument is on a separate line.

DreadMore
41 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, it won't work unless each argument is on a separate line.

Yes, that's why I've tried what can be seen above.
I've also tried as depicted as following (but same error)

/usr/bin/flatpak run org.videolan.VLC {path}

...which I thought roughly translates into the things below.

Player path:

/usr/bin/flatpak

Command line arguments:

run
org.videolan.VLC
{path}

Any idea where to get logs or anything to get more troubleshooting (logs for instance from ET) and less shooting in the dark :p?
Please bear in mind, this is SteamOS, VLC runs on flatpak.

12 minutes ago, DreadMore said:

Yes, that's why I've tried what can be seen above.
I've also tried as depicted as following (but same error)

/usr/bin/flatpak run org.videolan.VLC {path}

...which I thought roughly translates into the things below.

Player path:

/usr/bin/flatpak

Command line arguments:

run
org.videolan.VLC
{path}

Any idea where to get logs or anything to get more troubleshooting (logs for instance from ET) and less shooting in the dark :p?
Please bear in mind, this is SteamOS, VLC runs on flatpak.

It's been a while since i've played with vlc on the command line, but those first two command line args don't look right to me. There's no logging that will provide more detail here unless you can get it from Vlc to find out why it isn't executing with those params. I would try just the path and nothing more.

DreadMore
1 hour ago, Luke said:

It's been a while since i've played with vlc on the command line, but those first two command line args don't look right to me. There's no logging that will provide more detail here unless you can get it from Vlc to find out why it isn't executing with those params. I would try just the path and nothing more.

I'd love that too, but I would need VLC to be able to run through a single command with no other params than {path}.
The problem is with VLC running from FlatPack, which is "flatpack run <VLC_app_ID> path".

Maybe creating an alias would work? Not sure.

DreadMore

I guess I'll need to find a site that actually deals with SteamOS and ask them for details on Konsole and how to create aliases, or if there is some native VLC (not in flatpak)

5 minutes ago, DreadMore said:

I guess I'll need to find a site that actually deals with SteamOS and ask them for details on Konsole and how to create aliases, or if there is some native VLC (not in flatpak)

HI, yes apologies I don't know the answer to this.

DreadMore
11 hours ago, Luke said:

But we are going to be doing Flatpak builds for Theater soon to allow for easier installation.

Awesome, can't wait 🤩.
On a side note, I did manage to run VLC as alias, but it didn't help anyway, probably aliases don't work outside of the Konsole.
Question to others: have you guys managed to play any media at all? Internal or external player?
EDIT:
My path was:

vlc

or

~/vlc

And arguments:

{path}

or just left it empty, still same error. Would it be possible to get some logging set for future? I think linux versions of Emby would find this helpful.

Edited by DreadMore
Added configuration I last tested

On 10/11/2022 at 12:23 AM, DreadMore said:

Installed and can go through library, but cannot start a player - wanted to try to add VLC as external player but have no clue how to perform this on SteamOS.
Anyone has any bright ideas?

Sorry for joining the party a little bit too late...

Have you yet tried it like in this post (not the command line method at the bottom):

I have no issue and even the player is working just fine without any error.

DreadMore
3 hours ago, ich777 said:

Sorry for joining the party a little bit too late...

Have you yet tried it like in this post (not the command line method at the bottom):

I have no issue and even the player is working just fine without any error.

I've tested it again. Actually it works using Internal player, but only on my own server.
The "infinite hourglass" that I was getting was on my friends server.
EDIT:
I've found the solution! When inputting my friends server I have input
http:\\      !

It loaded the library but could not play anything. I've corrected made sure I input it without http prefix, and it automatically set to
http://     !

And playing works.
But now I don't know why how to turn on subtitles in the mkv movies that have them. (annoying!)

Subtitles are listed, selected, but are not showing during playing - but I guess that is a non-steam related issue and more Emby Theather.
I normally would avoid the issue by choosing external player, but ... for now it is what it is, at least some positions with included subtitles work flawlessly :)

6 minutes ago, DreadMore said:

But now I don't know why how to turn on subtitles in the mkv movies that have them. (annoying!)

On my Deck Subtitles are working just fine.

Are you sure that you've enabled them from the player menu?

I would recommend that you set the controls to Touch input instead of Controller, this way it works like if you have Emby installed on a tablet.

DreadMore

By the way, I've created official entry into SteamGridDB for Emby Theater (I do not own or claim to own anything of Emby, its entry for public fan artwork)
That means, if anyone has any ideas for artwork, they can upload it there. Then users can apply it using BoilR (available on Discover)

https://www.steamgriddb.com/game/5357437

things one can upload (with requirements)
GRIDs/CAPSULES
Capsules: 460x215, 920x430, 600x900
File Type: PNG, JPEG, Animated WebP
Capsule Size: 15MB for static, 48MB for animated.

HEROS

Hero Images: 1920x620, 3840x1240
File Type: PNG, JPEG, Animated WebP
Hero Size: 24MB for static, 48MB for animated.

LOGOS

Dimensions: Just make sure they're as high quality as possible.
File Type: PNG, Animated WebP
Size Limit: 15MB for static, 32MB for animated.

Examples of file types in attachments

grid1.png

grid2.png

hero.png

logo.png

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DreadMore said:

if anyone has any ideas for artwork

I think you didn't read the entire thread or am I wrong... :D

See this post:

DreadMore
57 minutes ago, ich777 said:

I think you didn't read the entire thread or am I wrong... :D

See this post:

Half right, half wrong - I read the article, and I've tried submitting one of the arts for testing purposes (the poster like capsule), but it had wrong dimensions so it was not accepted.
I did however now double checked and it seems the other one (landscape with Emby logo and blurred library behind) was ok.

Sorry for not checking them all 1st. At least the requirements I've posted earlier should show everyone what "dimensions" they should probably think about if they want to add to SteamGridDB anything else (or several different arts, as ppl can choose from more than one if there is more to choose from)

Edited by DreadMore
replaced word "portrait" with "landscape "

DreadMore

I've moved the question of external players to another topic as this definitely not everyone's interest on SteamDeck

Question to SteamDeck friends: do you guys have any favorite Controller set up for ET?
Mine is modified browser setting:

left analog set as keyboard arrows,
right analog as mousescroll,
A as Enter
B as Backspace (it was Esc at first but bad reaction on main window)
Left and Right bumpers as previous and next
Right trackpack as mouse with left click
Left trackpack movement off but as right click mouse

L4: Control+D = show menu for currently selected item if possible

DPAD:
up/down: F9/F10 = volume control
Left/Right: Shift + Left/Right = REW/FF

thinking of putting triggers as REW and FF

Any other ideas? There are a lot of control shortcuts in the "Keyboard and Remote" section in ET App Settings, so I guess you can simulate everything needed.

DreadMore

Wanted just to share I love the fact the you can connect the USB-C with HDMI even during playing and it puts it up on the device (might need to switch source).
Thinking now that I just need to get a USB-C to HDMI adapter cable (about 10 euro), put it in spare HDMI slot in the kitchen.
Scenario: need to eat/cook anything -> take SteamDeck in hand, while walking pick what you want to watch, set it up, arrive in kitchen to plug it into USB C.

Probably would need to make a wooden stand for SteamDeck with place for the cable to rest in to avoid leaving it on Decoder. (No need to buy a multidevice for what essentially I would see as "TV station") 

• 7 months later...
theOG123

Hi, I've just downloaded the Emby Theatre flatpak from the Discover store onto my Steam Deck, but while the UI has all normal sounds, playing any media outputs no sound at all. I've made sure all audio passthrough is disabled in the audio settings, and I'm not using any command line args for the application itself. Is there anything else I can check to diagnose what the issue is?

The lack of media sound occurs both in handheld and in docked modes.

Edit: also to note that running emby via the web interface in Firefox works fine, but this isn't as nice to use with a gamepad.

Edited by theOG123

• 1 month later...
DreadMore

I've fixed my subtitle issues by increasing the Home and Internet Quality to max. The issue was that because when it was set on AUTO it would always transcode when watching things from friend's server, and thus lose subtitles in the process.

Have you tried increasing the Playback as well? I have no idea if this will fix sound issues, but it's worth a try.

• 4 months later...