Need to compress mkv files, handbrake not working, alternatives?

Bingie

Bingie

Got it!  Have to set it on a per-user basis, which is even better.  I want them off by default, my mom wants them on.

Thanks!

arrbee99

Jolly good. I was going to ask if there were any settings on your Roku thingy, but dun't matter now 😀

Happy2Play
37 minutes ago, Bingyyyy said:

Nope, that didn't work.  I'll keep kicking that tire though, see if I can get it to work for me.

That is the option that controls whether subtitles are used, pretty sure Roku honors it as I have it set to only forced and I only get subtitles when the item has flagged Forced subtitles in the container or forced in the naming scheme for external subs.

Now if you have played the media before Emby remembers that you played the media with subtitles and continues to do so. 

That would be cover in this option along with the "Clear saved track selections"

Remember subtitle track selections
Subtitle track selections will be remembered on a per video basis and reapplied when playing the same video again.
  Clear saved track selections

So is this new never played before media?

Bingie

Thanks, I got it.  It's on a per-user basis.  I first made the change as an admin, went back and set it for my regular user account.  That worked.

jaycedk

If you are up for something that uses FFMPEG, you could try this https://tdarr.io/

Its a bit complicated to setup, but when its setup its "set and forget".

Its has watch folders with is great.

It can also work across multiple computers.

When I rip my dvd's or blueray's and have them moved to my watch folder.

Tdarr does its thing and compresses the video, with the settings I have set.

Right now I'm converting my entire movie library into HVEC.

Using 3 computers with Tdarr.

17 hours ago, Bingyyyy said:

Okay, I tried Xmedia Recode, and sorry to say, it is even less intuitive than handbrake, by alot.  I pop in a dvd movie to rip, and have absolutely no idea what to do, it defaults to nothing.  Looks like you manually have to select each/every chapter on the disk, never did figure out how to combine them.  The profiles is confusing and I have absolutely no idea what to use, left it on custom.  I did change output format to mp4, I guess that's right.  It started converting each chapter to a separate mp4 file, which is useless.

I think I'll stick with videoproc, it's the easiest to use for beginners, by far, and does a great job.  Handbrake isn't very intuitive, you have to know what you want, but I'll learn more using it.  Xmedia Recode I have no idea how to use that, I don't even think it can rip movies, and if it can, they didn't bother making it easy to use at all.

Cheers

I guess complexity is in the eye of the beholder.  To me it's super easy to use and makes complete sense as it gives you total control over every track and if you want to copy or convert it.

There are some tutorials on Youtube you can look at.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=xmedia+recode

To me this is one piece of software everyone should have in there arsenal of tools as it's that good.

• 4 weeks later...
daldana

+1 for Xmedia Recode. it seems to process faster for me using Quicksync than Handbrake does and I like the additional options it gives.

Test that file direct playing, remuxing and transcoding to make sure the "short cut" rewrite doesn't cause you any issues.
It could be cheating and not rewriting headers properly.

Hopefully it's fine but worth doing some tests on a few files to make sure.

arrbee99

Pity. Was just going to ask whether it could cut absolutely anywhere. Are there programs that can cut anywhere (that mere mortals can afford anyway) ?

generiq
8 minutes ago, arrbee99 said:

Pity. Was just going to ask whether it could cut absolutely anywhere. Are there programs that can cut anywhere (that mere mortals can afford anyway) ?

I haven't actually fully explored the latest update. It didn't used to, but maybe it'll get added?

arrbee99

It would be useful. I have some recordings that are mkv files that I want to remove beginning and end from but Avidemux complains if I try to cut where I want instead of at a keyframe.

Although apparently you can cut anywhere if you re-encode to mp4 or something ?

generiq
6 minutes ago, arrbee99 said:

It would be useful. I have some recordings that are mkv files that I want to remove beginning and end from but Avidemux complains if I try to cut where I want instead of at a keyframe.

If you re-encode, everything is regenerated, all new frames, so you can cut where you want. Making quick cuts, you aren't doing that. Mkvtoolnix is the same way. Only key frames.

• Like 1

arrbee99

Thanks. That actually sounds like something I'll have read about before and then forgotten about.

Thats quite an extensive list obviously 😀

1 hour ago, arrbee99 said:

I get the impression you can cut the beginning too.  You can move both the start and end point.  Cut the beginning first, then run again, cut the end.

I have quite a few I want to trim the beginning's too.  Will have to try it.

HOT DAMN!  Just trimmed the beginning of an mp4 file w00t! :)

I bought the dvd L.O.R.D. Legend of Ravaging Dynasties, and the damn movie has almost 2 minutes of no less than 10 different company logo's at the beginning :o I just trimmed all of that crap off w00t now it starts where I want it to :)

edit: oh wait, my bad, it was an MKV file, not a mp4.  Can probably edit mp4 files too though without re-encoding.  Will have to test that.

Edited by Bingie

10 minutes ago, generiq said:

I think you can multi trim???

I didn't see any option for that.  Then again I just starting using it, only trying the "cut without re-encode" option.  It probably can make many edits but would have to re-encode I'm guessing.

Just now, arrbee99 said:

...well, Avidemux does that as well.

I didn't like that app at all, for some reason.  Just wasn't my cup of tea.

arrbee99

Fair enough. This new one sounds promising, just not sure whether its worth getting used to a new interface when I have a (very modest) knowledge of the ones I use already.