Ability to sort search results

kurtgschumacher

kurtgschumacher

When I do a search the results are presented in an apparently random order. I just did a search for the movie "Pi" and got every movie that started with "pi"... eight rows of seven titles, and the  movie I wanted was at the end of the sixth row. I would like to be able to select the display to sort by title, as I can on a library display. Sorting by year might be convenient too.

• Agree 2

MBSki

Good idea. I'd also like to see my previous searches when starting a search. Just something to help get to things quicker. 

Happy2Play

I just select the category from the search results, as Top results is still limited as you getting a set from each content type with a limit of 50.

So in my test of searching "pi", Top Results shows 22 movies for the 50 results, but the Movies category shows 48 movies.

So from a blanket Top Results (global) only year would be an advantage.  Now search by specific library or type is a different story.  But we are still limited to 50 items.

kurtgschumacher

@Happy2PlaySelecting only "Movies" moved "Pi" up from the sixth row to the fifth row. That still doesn't address the issue. If I search for "Pi", having the results sorted alphabetically would put "Pi" first in the list. That seems like an advantage to me.

Sorting search results is tricky because they are already sorted by search relevance. We could allow you to specify a secondary sorting criteria so that it's sorted by search relevance, then by XXX...but that wouldn't have a significant impact on the results.

kurtgschumacher

How is "search relevance" determined? Because it seems to be pretty random to me.

Would it be possible to do what Google and some other search engines do, and allow a quoted string to request an exact match? So searching for Pi would mean "give me everything that begins with Pi" and searching for "PI" would mean "give me only movies with the title PI".

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, kurtgschumacher said:

Because it seems to be pretty random to me

With a two-character search it will probably be hard to determine relevance because there will be so many matches.

Would it be possible to do what Google and some other search engines do, and allow a quoted string to request an exact match?

Yes this is a good idea. Thanks for the feedback.

• 2 months later...
On 8/6/2021 at 5:37 PM, Luke said:

Yes this is a good idea. Thanks for the feedback.

1) quoted string search and wildcard (*) support would be great .. for e.g. searching for "The E*" would give only search results like "The Expenables", "The East", ...

2) Like the previous speaker sad, search results are sorted pretty randomly for me too... for e.g. If I am searching for (actor)names like John or Jessica, the top-results or even people-only-search returns mostly unknown actors first... (list the most known/best rated actors/movies first would be nice or even an alphabetically sorted search result would be better than the current random results - at least for me).

Maybe you can put these search improvements to the feature list ?

Thanks anyway.

Edited by gismo33

Quasi-related—with apologies for further deviating from the original request–but I just started using PhotoPrism, and one of the things I *love* about its search feature is that I can search for people, tags, etc., using the following format:

• person:john
  • label:pets

It would be great if Emby could implement a similar feature, such as:

• album:nevermind
  • song:superstition
  • artist:blondie
  • film:independence day
  • show:expanse

And so on.  I've created separate users for my music and videos because in part because the search results get unruly, and this would help refine the search.

GrimReaper
12 hours ago, Jägs said:

Quasi-related—with apologies for further deviating from the original request–but I just started using PhotoPrism, and one of the things I *love* about its search feature is that I can search for people, tags, etc., using the following format:

• person:john
  • label:pets

It would be great if Emby could implement a similar feature, such as:

• album:nevermind
  • song:superstition
  • artist:blondie
  • film:independence day
  • show:expanse

And so on.  I've created separate users for my music and videos because in part because the search results get unruly, and this would help refine the search.

Aren't there already tabbed search results for separate categories? 

4 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

Aren't there already tabbed search results for separate categories? 

There are, but it'd make for a much quicker search if we could immediately filter by media type.