Live TV setup questions, Synology + Nvidia Shield

hetkoznap

hetkoznap

Hi guys!

I'd like to watch live TV through Emby and I currently have this setup:

• Synology DS418 running the Emby server
  • Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 running the Emby app

If I buy a Hauppage WinTV-dualHD (EU, DVB-C) and plug it in the Nvidia Shield than can I use it to watch live TV or I have to plug the Hauppage into the server? If I have to plug it in the server than thats a bummer, because DSM 7 no longer supports USB devices (other than for external storage).

If the above mentioned route is not viable, than what happens if I run the server and the client app on the Shield (with the Hauppage plugged in the Shield also)? Can this be the solution that I'm looking for? Are there any drawbacks to this setup?

Or should I just buy a tuner from HDHomerun or VBox and be done with it? 🤔

The Hauppauge boards will not work with a Synology Server as it requires the use of Win TV software which is only available on Windows.

Instead what you can look at is a network tuner.  Check out both Silicon Dust and Vbox Communications as either of those will work just fine with Emby Server running on Synology.

https://www.silicondust.com/
https://vboxcomm.com/android-tv-gateway/

As a bonus the vbox android gateway can also be used as an Android TV and run the Emby ATV client.

hetkoznap

Thanks for the information about the Hauppauge tuner!

As you recommended I ordered a Vbox TV Gateway yesterday. Not the Android version, because I don't need Android TV.

I've not used the non android version but have the US OTA Android version.

When you get this online I'd love to do a remote session with you to help set it up if possible. This would also give me a chance to take a look at it's setup menus as well to see how much it's different to the Android gateway version (if any).

Carlo