Standardize library links across all client apps

tomnjerry74

CBers
33 minutes ago, mbarylski said:

How would someone access their media if they don't show My Media on the home page? On the TV interface it's the only way to get to libraries. 

Was just stating that you can turn it off, nothing more, nothing less 😇

• Haha 2

GrimReaper

While I fully respect both of yours preferences and you advocating for it (do continue, btw), I'm obviously on the other end of the spectrum and just voicing it, as I reckon Devs will need as many user input as possible before deciding on the course of action. 

I DON'T want my app to look like YouTube. I DON'T want it to look like Netflix. I want it to have its own charm - which, to me, it currently does. I like having a Home Screen which doesn't look like any other library view. I like the distinction between My Media, Continue Watching and Latest Section. I like nice custom folder images on my libraries. I don't feel removing a single row of images would make any difference - for what, to see one extra Latest row? For me, that trade ain't worth it. I don't feel Sidebar would reduce number of clicks in some drastic manner, and I detest things popping-up or sliding-out (and sliding-out again) on my TV. But that's just me. 

• Like 2

MBSki
2 minutes ago, GrimReaper76 said:

While I fully respect both of yours preferences and you advocating for it (do continue, btw), I'm obviously on the other end of the spectrum and just voicing it, as I reckon Devs will need as many user input as possible before deciding on the course of action. 

I DON'T want my app to look like YouTube. I DON'T want it to look like Netflix. I want it to have its own charm - which, to me, it currently does. I like having a Home Screen which doesn't look like any other library view. I like the distinction between My Media, Continue Watching and Latest Section. I like nice custom folder images on my libraries. I don't feel removing a single row of images would make any difference - for what, to see one extra Latest row? For me, that trade ain't worth it. I don't feel Sidebar would reduce number of clicks in some drastic manner, and I detest things popping-up or sliding-out (and sliding-out again) on my TV. But that's just me. 

Yep, understand, which is why I suggested having flexibility to use the side bar or not. I think in the side bar scenario you could keep your home page exactly as-is if you wanted to. 

GrimReaper

Yup, you did, and that, as an option, I would gladly support. However, this ain't your thread, and as per OP:

On 8/2/2021 at 6:23 PM, tomnjerry74 said:

I propose the following changes:

• Completely remove the "My Media" and "My Media (small)" options from the Home Screen personalization.
  • Utilize the navigation drawer approach (as seen in the web app) to display all of the library links.

49 minutes ago, tomnjerry74 said:

I think something like this would be a very effective solution. A "double drawer" of sorts that slides out when the user would actually select the libraries icon.

is not something I will. 

tomnjerry74
4 minutes ago, mbarylski said:

Yep, understand, which is why I suggested having flexibility to use the side bar or not. I think in the side bar scenario you could keep your home page exactly as-is if you wanted to. 

I think you may be right in leaning towards that flexibility aspect that so many users of Emby clearly value. I’m wondering if I should remove or reword the part of my OP that says “completely remove my media, etc” as it seems some people just read that one line and get hung up on it. Like predetermine their disagreement with the actual request solely based on that.. Perhaps the option to use one or the other in some way is better? As long as all clients get the same options. That’s the important part.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

tomnjerry74
16 minutes ago, GrimReaper76 said:

I don't feel Sidebar would reduce number of clicks in some drastic manner, and I detest things popping-up or sliding-out (and sliding-out again) on my TV. But that's just me. 

Just to clarify for others: When I commented on reducing clicks it was merely a comparison to the first suggestion in my same comment. I’m not comparing number of clicks with My Media vs a sidebar.

Genuine question with no maliciousness.. Do you so vehemently refuse to use virtually every other media app on your TV solely because of the sidebar navigation?

GrimReaper
12 minutes ago, tomnjerry74 said:

I think you may be right in leaning towards that flexibility aspect that so many users of Emby clearly value.

Blame the Devs, they spoiled us big time. 😉

3 minutes ago, tomnjerry74 said:

Do you so vehemently refuse to use virtually every other media app on your TV solely because of the sidebar navigation

Refer to above. 🤭 Kidding aside: of course not, as I'm forced to. But it just makes me appreciate Emby more, once I come back into it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

DJkhaled
7 hours ago, GrimReaper76 said:

Blame the Devs, they spoiled us big time. 😉

Refer to above. 🤭 Kidding aside: of course not, as I'm forced to. But it just makes me appreciate Emby more, once I come back into it. 

Well said brother well said.

• 5 months later...
Tangsgod

I just opened a tread that is now close because it's a duplicate, sorry I didn't see this one first :) 

Here is what i wrote there (just a copy/past):

"I was wondering if it would be possible to implement a left bar with the differents librairies choices like it is in the web client and Emby Theater?

I anderstand that in the Android mobile client there is less need for it since this is a vertical screen, but in the Android TV app used in 16/9 screens this has a rightfull sense.

The going back button on the remote could give acces to the left bar instead of giving the choice to leave Emby, it will feel much more natural. 
Alsot, it can give us the choice of changing the librairie and still see the librairie raw we are watching instead of the same top raw.

In 16/9 screen it is really important to give acces to as many options as possible on the sides of the screen because while the eyes are focusing in the middle of the screen, processing the posters choices , so the most important choices (display from the bottom to the top)  what is optional like changing to new librairie on the left side and letters on the right side is natural acces for the eyes.

I hope I was clear enough to be anderstood :) "

After reading all this tread I wanted to add that, it has nothing to do about making an app more or less unique or a lookalike this or this other app:
It is just about having the most practical UI