NextPVR or ServerWMC?

danswan

I don't think it's a slow device, channel changes on WMC and DVBViewer are rapid (unless using cardshare on dvbviewer!)

Ok, happy to take a look at logs. Edited by sub3

I'm at work atm

Over the next couple of days I might have another play.

Just out of interest can you switch off all the other stuff in npvr? I just want it for tv..

Like what do you want to turn off specifically? You can disable/hide menu options if you want. In general they wont load until you go into those screen, so you're not saving yourself memory or anything. If you're going to eventually be using it from MediaBrowser though, this also isn't going to make any difference though, since you wont be running the NextPVR user interface. Edited by sub3

I don't want to confuse the wife, so I'm thinking (for now) nextpvr for tv only and the w8 mb3 app for everything else...

I don't want to confuse the wife, so I'm thinking (for now) nextpvr for tv only and the w8 mb3 app for everything else...

I've got no problem with you using mb3 app for everything - I'm just saying that for diagnosing any slow channel change issues, its easier for me to look at NextPVR logs. ie, not suggesting you make your wife use it as part of a complicated multi-app setup. Once we're comfortable that NextPVR itself is changing quickly, hopefully you'll be able to do live in mb3. Any additional delays is in the hands of the mb3 devs. Edited by sub3

danswan

@@sub3 I've been doing some testing on the server directly with NextPVR and actually channel changing times are fine. I have encountered instability with the program not responding frequently, this seems to happen on a couple of specific channels which I think have a low signal so it can't lock all the time. How would NextPVR normally deal with this? On my system it seems to cause it to hang, there's logs here for when this happens:

I've also been messing in the settings a bit and changed the webservice default password; now MB3 can't connect, I get a 401 unauthorised error message. Can't seem to find

a) a way to change the login credentials in MB3 or

b ) the default login details in NextPVR (I can remember the username was admin, but what password?)

I have a feeling my main issue is that the signal isn't quite strong enough, which means I'm going to have to buy a signal meter and do it properly I think :)

Edited by danswan

Spaceboy

Dvblink trumps nextpvr for stability IMO, but it's not free and there is no direct plugin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dvblink trumps nextpvr for stability IMO, but it's not free and there is no direct plugin

What stability issues are you having with NextPVR? If you can describe the problem and provide logs, I'm happy to take a look. Edited by sub3

Spaceboy

What stability issues are you having with NextPVR? If you can describe the problem and provide logs, I'm happy to take a look.

Just feedback picked up from here against my direct experience of dvblink, although dvblink is very slow in developing anything, it is very stable. Personally I need dvblink for ci card compatibility

@@sub3 I've been doing some testing on the server directly with NextPVR and actually channel changing times are fine.

Great. I suspected that'd be the case. Any extra time changing channels in MB3 is just stuff that the MB3 is doing.

I have encountered instability with the program not responding frequently, this seems to happen on a couple of specific channels which I think have a low signal so it can't lock all the time. How would NextPVR normally deal with this? On my system it seems to cause it to hang, there's logs here for when this happens:

It shouldn't lock up. Can you press Ctrl-S to stop live tv when it's in this state?

Some decoders will try to decode damaged data, some will skip the broken data and only deliver complete frames. If you're got severe reception problems, this may be leading to some of your problems.

Best bet is try correcting your reception, or disabling channels that you don't have good signals on. MB3 passes live tv streams through ffmpeg, and this is notoriously finicky with bad streams.

I've also been messing in the settings a bit and changed the webservice default password; now MB3 can't connect, I get a 401 unauthorised error message. Can't seem to find

a) a way to change the login credentials in MB3 or

b ) the default login details in NextPVR (I can remember the username was admin, but what password?)

I have a feeling my main issue is that the signal isn't quite strong enough, which means I'm going to have to buy a signal meter and do it properly I think :)

You can reset the password by editing config.xml to set: <Password>5F4DCC3B5AA765D61D8327DEB882CF99</Password> Edited by sub3
  • Like 1

Just feedback picked up from here...

Ok, so not tried it yourself... (not hassling you, but trying to get to the bottom of any real issues)

danswan

You can reset the password by editing config.xml to set: <Password>5F4DCC3B5AA765D61D8327DEB882CF99</Password>

Thanks - I take it MB3 needs the password to stay at the default for it to work then?

*edit* forget it, it was the XBMC pin I needed to change, sorry   :rolleyes:

Edited by danswan

danswan

Right, I've removed the two problem channels until I can try to improve the signal, all seems to be working fine on the NextPVR side, thanks @@sub3.

Trying to test things out on the MB3 side now using the web client (looking forward to the Android update even more now :) )

Is there a way of quickly changing channels in the web client? It's difficult to see how long a channel change really takes through mb3 as it seems I have to go back to the guide and then select another channel. 

Thanks - I take it MB3 needs the password to stay at the default for it to work then?

*edit* forget it, it was the XBMC pin I needed to change, sorry   :rolleyes:

Here is the default pin:

<PinMD5>4A7D1ED414474E4033AC29CCB8653D9B</PinMD5>

You can see these original values in the Config-master-dont-edit.xml file.

Edited by sub3

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I'd revisit this thread to update. I never actually tried ServerWMC but gave up on NextPVR after some testing. On the server itself performance was OK, still a little slow to change channels and I would experience the odd crash. When accessing via a client this was replicated as well as being slightly slower again. 

I spent a bit of time messing around with codecs etc but wasn't happy with the performance, it all just felt a little 'clunky'. 

I thought I'd trial Dvblink and couldn't be more impressed. I love the way it uses WM7 as a client and speed of channel changes is better than my TVs built-in tuner. I think they'll be getting my money. Only minor irritation at present is the way the recorder works, if I schedule a recording on the WM7 client it will record locally (or not, seeing as there's hardly any local storage). I've got all recordings scheduled on DVBLink and MB3 picks them up so we can watch all the recorded stuff. It would be nice if I could schedule a recording from the WM7 client but as 99% of the recorded stuff is just her soaps which are recurring recordings it's not a big deal.