Practical permissible number of channels in an m3u file

normanmurcheson

Some providers have super large guides that can really hog up the space.

@Luke is there any reason we need to hold on to this data after it's loaded (guide data that is)?

Or maybe better asked, is there any reason to keep anything other than the latest download of the guide when XML?

normanmurcheson

I'm strictly using your Emby data, not the data from the IPTV service. Each xml file generated is in the neighbourhood of 160+ megabytes. It adds up very quickly.

I did remove a number of the past ones and there was no ill effect.

normanmurcheson

@cayars from the cache/xmltv directory. I left the last two. All had the very same size.

Edited by normanmurcheson
  • Thanks 1

That's safe to delete anytime you want. The server will also eventually delete them automatically as well 

normanmurcheson

No actual issue with the xml files at this point. Emby does build a new xml file each time I edit anything to do with a channel. I am basically every once in a while deleting the extra xml files. How frequently does the server normally automatically delete the extra xml files?

On 8/11/2021 at 8:05 PM, normanmurcheson said:

No actual issue with the xml files at this point. Emby does build a new xml file each time I edit anything to do with a channel. I am basically every once in a while deleting the extra xml files. How frequently does the server normally automatically delete the extra xml files?

Each day it clears out any files that are greater than 30 days old.

Is there any reason to keep them beyond 1 day if they've already been loaded?

normanmurcheson

@LukeI have to ask the very same question. All the xml files are identical in size. Is there any difference at all between them? In my case they are currently 179 megs each. That really eats disk space quickly.

Thanks a lot.