Max quality 720p 1.5Mbps on 43” UK6500 LG SMART UHD TV

thegrunge
Go to solution Solved by thegrunge,

thegrunge

Hi, on my tv 43” UK6500 LG SMART UHD TV I am still transcoding, so I wanted to increase the video quality in emby and the maximum I can go is 720p 1.5Mbps. I am however wired. I don't understand I have a 4K tv...

Thank you

emby.jpg

Edited by CBers
Moved to LG Smart TV forum.

Hi, can't really see that pic but where are you trying to set this?  Is this for a particular media you are trying to play back?  If so it may only be 720 thus you don't get higher options to choose from.

Try this for higher resolution media and let us know what you see.

BTW, in stats for nerds what is the reason given for transcoding?

• Solution
thegrunge

@cayars hello, i was in emby's default video settings because the mode "auto" is not working well. So I had a quality of 3 mbps and the reason for transcoding is that the bitrate exceeds. The tv is however wired. I finally found by going higher than 720p 1.5mbps the other quality choices appear!

• Like 1

thegrunge

finally by choosing a quality manually rather than letting emby choose it nothing works ..

30AE94D3-65B0-4804-B3DC-4ED3D61E0E05.jpeg

thegrunge

@Luke This is not the first time that I have had this problem with the quality (auto) mode of certain devices, usually more intelligent TVs. In (auto) mode the quality is low so changing the settings for higher quality causes black screen. In the dashboard I can see the movie playing but on the device the screen is black and there is no sound. Even a 4k tv cannot play a 1080p movie if the settings are 4k. I saw this problem on a samsung, and now on a lg webos. on roku tv everything is fine in (auto) mode. Here is an example of a recent log on the lg webos. I have removed the personal information.

Thanksffmpeg-transcode-ac6587f6-eb3d-4818-a3ce-59a249ec07e4_1.txt

thegrunge

I found where the problems were. The first was caused by the subtitle function which is enabled by default on all devices where emby is available. And the 2nd problem is linked to the fact that the video quality mode (auto) does not work well on webos so by setting the quality to the maximum of 4k everything works with its 2 modifications. It would be good to deactivate the default subtitles in a future update.

sub.png

Regarding subtitles, when they have to be burned in, it looks like your server is unable to transcode quickly enough to be playable. You could try using external .srt subtitles for better performance.

thegrunge

@Luke I don't know, but I do have an interesting hardware setup.

cpu amd ryzen 5 3600

DDR 4 16 GO

video card Nvidia 1660 super 6Go

power supply 500w

I also uncheck subtitles extract on the fly.

I believe there are some devices that do not support certain subtitle formats and emby cannot do anything in some cases.  The times checking when it happened the cpu was not working.

DC658ACE-F9EF-4DEF-B8BB-1AAE68D21795.png

Right, my comment still stands. Burning in subtitles with transcoding is a very expensive operation and it looks like your server just can't do it quickly enough.

thegrunge

in this case a lot of people must have this problem, it would be nice to turn off the default subtitles in applications would avoid a lot of questioning and the majority of people don't use subtitles anyway.  

Thank you

On 8/4/2021 at 9:47 AM, thegrunge said:

in this case a lot of people must have this problem, it would be nice to turn off the default subtitles in applications would avoid a lot of questioning and the majority of people don't use subtitles anyway.  

Thank you

Hi there, you can already do this. Have you explored your emby user subtitle preferences?

thegrunge

@Luke Hi yes that's what I did, does the change in the preferences apply to New devices or do we have to do it in each device?

thegrunge
On 6/13/2021 at 6:04 PM, ebr said:

Hi.  Assuming you are on the latest release, if you don't see an audio output setting then that means you are already in downmix mode because that is all that the device chain supports.

Ok it is therefore really the tv which does not like 5.1 because in 2.0 the sound is very strong.

Thank you

14 hours ago, thegrunge said:

@Luke Hi yes that's what I did, does the change in the preferences apply to New devices or do we have to do it in each device?

All.

• Like 1