Buying a New Tv Tuner

Landoman

Landoman

Hi all, I purchased a lifetime membership and am now seeing the benefits of the subscription. I already have a tv tuner but it does not seem to be supported very well (PCTV Systems DVB-T2 23076).

Whats the best way to have live tv with emby? Is it to buy a homerun tuner or is compatibility with existing tuners going to get better? Are there recommended tuners to buy? It will save me running lots of cables every where.

Also does the homerun tuner support satellite feeds? Ie digital TV via satellite.

"Can I use the HDHomeRun with satellite? Back to top

No. Satellite uses a different transmission system than broadcast or cable TV, and there is no requirement for satellite providers to make their systems available to customer-owned hardware, so they don’t. Their set top boxes do not output a signal that is compatible with any HDHomeRun device."

Thank you!

Edited by Landoman

Hi, it's hard to go wrong with an HDHomeRun tuner since these are network tuners and just work.

HDHomeRuns come in version for Cable and OTA (over the air)

What country are you in? This will help with satellite broadcasts.

Landoman

Hi,
Im in the UK. I get channels for free on aerial and a cable connection. I'd rather use the cable as its more stable.

• 2 tuners
• Receives DVB-T and DVB-T2 digital TV – Freeview HD
• Works with our HDHomeRun DVR service
• 100BASE TX high-speed network
• 2 year warranty

Will that use a satelitle coax cable ?? or is it aerial only?

Edited by Landoman

Spaceboy

just to clarify. in the uk we have three options:

• dvb-t - Freeview, over the air terrestrial aerial. need to use a hd homerun or a tv tuner card with a 3rd party backend such as next pvr
  • dvb-s - freesat/sky satellite dish. need to use a tv tuner card with a 3rd party backend such as next pvr
  • dvb-c - virgin cable. cannot (easily) be used with emby

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
Landoman
On 02/08/2021 at 19:10, Spaceboy said:

just to clarify. in the uk we have three options:

• dvb-t - Freeview, over the air terrestrial aerial. need to use a hd homerun or a tv tuner card with a 3rd party backend such as next pvr
  • dvb-s - freesat/sky satellite dish. need to use a tv tuner card with a 3rd party backend such as next pvr
  • dvb-c - virgin cable. cannot (easily) be used with emby

This is the thing. I have a good TV tuner "PCTV"  but when emby tries to use it after I use it for another program, it just halts. Also the tuning is really really slow for some reason or just doesnt work.

Landoman
On 31/07/2021 at 13:35, cayars said:

Hi, it's hard to go wrong with an HDHomeRun tuner since these are network tuners and just work.

HDHomeRuns come in version for Cable and OTA (over the air)

What country are you in? This will help with satellite broadcasts.

Yes Ill probably end up buying one of these 🙂

• Like 1

arrbee99
3 hours ago, Landoman said:

This is the thing. I have a good TV tuner "PCTV"  but when emby tries to use it after I use it for another program, it just halts. Also the tuning is really really slow for some reason or just doesnt work.

By 'another program', do you mean other tuner software ? If so, maybe that software isn't releasing the tuner when its finished with it ?