Android 9 transcoding question (Amlogic S905X3)

As777

As777

I wondered if the Android 9 app on my Ninkbox N8 plus is capable of hardware transcoding? The box is capable of playing content up to 8k and HDR compatible.

Since I no longer use the box for streaming I would like to setup a second Emby server that can transcode media on the fly, since my Raspberry PI 4 does not transcode.

I also have one more question : I have installed the app on the Ninkbox but it does not startup when the unit is restarted. I have tried using an auto startup manage app but no dice. It's like the Android 9 has been customised to not allow other apps to startup. Is there any workaround for this?

Hi.  Hardware acceleration is currently not supported on the Android platform.

I have installed the app on the Ninkbox but it does not startup when the unit is restarted.

Hi, exactly what app are you referring to? Emby Server, or our Emby player app for android? What version do you have installed?

As777
3 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, exactly what app are you referring to? Emby Server, or our Emby player app for android? What version do you have installed?

Emby server, 4.7 beta.

I think I will give up running from the Android box. It doesn't work very well and I am unable to stream video from it via a samba share to a client. It indexes fine but I cant play anything. The ninkbox is more trouble than its worth and not very customisable.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, askog666 said:

Emby server, 4.7 beta.

I think I will give up running from the Android box. It doesn't work very well and I am unable to stream video from it via a samba share to a client. It indexes fine but I cant play anything. The ninkbox is more trouble than its worth and not very customisable.

Can you please attach the emby server log from when you tried to do this? 

Thanks.

Emby clients on Android can use HW acceleration for video playback (depending on device capabilities)

Emby Server can do HW accelerated transcoding on Android, but how well that works depends on the hardware. AMLogic is usually not the best choice when it comes to video hardware acceleration. Samsung and Nvidia hardware is known to work well in this area.

As777

Thanks for the info!

I have abandoned the idea of running an Android server and already reset the box so have no logs. I am hoping to get Armbian installed on it so I can run a backup server.