Problem with Music and photo libraries

kaledi

Proof is in your logs. Example:

System.UnauthorizedAccessException: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path '/volume1/Photo/2021' is denied.

If you like we could do a remote session with you and get this permission issue fixed as well as take a look at your photo issue in general.
Send me a private message and we can set this up.

1 hour ago, cayars said:

Proof is in your logs. Example:

System.UnauthorizedAccessException: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path '/volume1/Photo/2021' is denied.

If you like we could do a remote session with you and get this permission issue fixed as well as take a look at your photo issue in general.
Send me a private message and we can set this up.

I'm occupied at work the coming days, but i did a recheck quickly via Quickconnect).
There is no problem at the moment in the logs (from what I see).
As I told, i changed already access to the subfolders you were pointing at and after that i did a rescan and found nothing.
I did a rescan manually now quickly.  You can check in the log of today (NAS boots up at 8h, did a rescan of the folder at 14:01).

embyserver.txt

There is no scan in that log file but I showed you what shows up during a scan from your previous log files.

Turn off debug logging from Logs menu
Go to schedule tasks and rotate your log file
Go to Library and do a Full Library Scan

When finished upload the server log file.

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem - the problem is very simple (but I have no solution!!):

• You upload your images to the shared library named "photo" which is managed by Synology Photo. 
  • Synology Photo has its own permission management (like PhotoStation had before)
  • The Problem: Emby uses a SYSTEM USER to access the content. Synology Photo does not allow select a System User for permission management. Hence I cannot grant access to the photo library as Emby is a system user. 
  • That explains why Emby cannot read the shared folder Photo!

Solution? I have no idea.. as I like Synology Photo very much, but it does not allow to display images on TV - hence I would love to use both at the same time without the need to have to copy the photo library twice. Any ideas? Why is Emby using a system user? 

Thanks a lot

Ok, here is a solution - but its quite a heavy security thing.. as you have to assign the Emby System user to the Admin group!! wow.. not good, but it works.

I just installed Synology Photos for the first time in DSM 7.
I uploaded 5 pics.

I saw that Photos created two new shares name on volume1 name home and homes.
I granted read/write to the system internal emby user but did nothing to homes.

Then I went into Emby and setup a new library pointed to /volume1/homes/administrator/Photos/PhotoLibrary.

Did a scan and the pics popped right up.
Your folder structure may get a bit tricky depending on number of users who can upload pics and how you configured it.

OK, maybe I have to start from scratch again. Assigning the EMBY user to the administrator group did actually not solve the problem. Now the scan went through, I do see all the folders... BUT: no images, actually the name of an image shows, but I cannot display any image or videos. Very strange. 

Maybe the problem lies with the folder "Photo" as Cayars did the test with a "home" folder.

I've never used this app  on Synology so I had to install it.  I used the defaults and it created both the home and homes folders.

It is still not working on the shared Folder (Photo).

Synology Photos in DSM 7 works for photos with 2 flavours:

1. photo folder this is your shared space (let's say family album)
    You can define here who has access: i set here the group "system administrators" (which i am member of). I can set groups or users only.
  2. you have also the homes\user folders: this is your personal space (at this moment i don't have any photo's there).  Probably this is accessible by Emby like stated before here.

problem is: what can you set to let Emby access the Photo (shared) folder?

Edited by Gulan

For 1) that's exactly right, you cannot choose System internal users, such as Emby is. What I tried here is to assign Emby User to a group and grant this group access from the photos Application. >> no success

for 2) I need to test myself... but this could work. As Home is managed differently as the shared folder Photo

I just did a test on my system by creating a new user.  I then added 31 pics and Emby picked them up and added them to my picture library.

Edited by cayars

Something I don't like about this in Emby is the nested folders you have to click through when  you have a single mount point such as:
/volume1/homes

You have the User then Photos then PhotoLibrary.  Under this is the content that was uploaded via Synology Photos.
Another issue is that a user will appear for accounts setup on the NAS even if not using Photos.

Instead I remove the single mount point and added this for my 2 users:
/volume1/homes/administrator/Photos/PhotoLibrary
/volume1/homes/carlo/Photos/PhotoLibrary

Now I get this:
image.png.b4d55cc67b7c62c3896b561987484ede.png

So I edited the meta-data for both folders and now get this:
image.png.e45bc8d34ebb624293ab72a3e9281022.png

So there is a bit of setup this but how many users will you have setup on your NAS?
I'd rather manually setup a new mount point in Emby like I just did to keep this clean.
Now Photos and Emby work happily together!

PS: I deleted the cover of each library for these pics. :)

• 2 months later...

Interesting - I saw this thread and thought I'd try it for myself.

• I have a DS220+ running DSM7.01-42218 and emby 4.6.4.0
  • Initial setup was the default system "Photo" share from Synology with updated Synology Photos application and all associated permissions running just fine.
  • To begin I went to the "Photo" share folder within DSM control panel and edited system internal users permission for Emby to read/write on this folder.
  • I then went to Emby and added a new library (the standard "Home videos & Photos") and pointed it to "/volume1/Photo" and ensure the radio button for "enable photos was selected"
  • Went to the home screen and I get nothing. There are 25 subfolders in the main "Photo" share, some with further subfolders and all with multiple .jpg photo files yet none of them show up in Emby.
  • Tried manually scanning library files and even rebooted the NAS - still no photos or videos showing up in the Emby library.
  • All photo and video are present in the default Synology Photos app and via Windows file explorer.
  • The only thing I did notice is that the default "Photo" file share does not use Windows ACL.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Edited by JSopha

@Luke - Responding to my own reply above. Question: do you think this is worth doing (see link below). Or is this permissions issue something best left to you guys to address with code? 

This solution is from @RonV42

Emby been working fine since I did the update to DSM the week it came out for all other folders expect for photo. Actually the security for "photo" is not the same as user created shares.  All my other folders are working fine except for the Synolgoy photo directory "/volume1/photo".  I was able to solve this by adding emby into the Synolgoy system group administrators:

sysnogroup -get administrators

This lists out all the accounts in the group administrators:

Group Name: [administrators]
Group Type: [AUTH_LOCAL]
Group ID:   [101]
Group Members:
0:[admin]

There is only one member of "admin" so being very carful to use the: 

synogroup -member administrators admin emby

Which now configured the administrators group with  "admin" and "emby"

synogroup -get administrators

Now it shows both accounts in the group:

Group Name: [administrators]
Group Type: [AUTH_LOCAL]
Group ID:   [101]
Group Members:
0:[admin]
1:[emby]

After doing that and selecting the /volume1/photo directly in a Family Photos library it indexed them just fine.

Edited by JSopha

Group access is going to depend on how you setup the library's on disk.  By that I mean the ownership of the user.

There's not really a right or wrong way to set this up but Emby needs direct access or access via group permissions.  Doesn't matter really how this is done as long as it gets the needed permissions. I prefer for example to make Emby the owner of the parent folder in my case /volume1/Media so that anything added underneath will be available to Emby Server.

@cayars - makes sense. By that way of thinking then, could I assume that I could simply create a new shared folder (let's say "Family Photos") and give Emby permission to use that via the internal permissions tab, then copy the photos from the default "Photo" share to the new share, and then repoint the Emby library to that share - thus allowing Emby to use the library for home video and photo?

Just noticed you are on DSM 7.  Have you set the new DSM 7 permissions yet for the system internal user for the share in Control Panel?

Highlight share, hit edit button, change to permissions tab.
Change drop down list box to system internal user.

Scroll down to the emby user and make sure the proper box is checked giving read/write access.

Is yours set that way?

33 minutes ago, cayars said:

Just noticed you are on DSM 7.  Have you set the new DSM 7 permissions yet for the system internal user for the share in Control Panel?

Highlight share, hit edit button, change to permissions tab.
Change drop down list box to system internal user.

Scroll down to the emby user and make sure the proper box is checked giving read/write access.

Is yours set that way?

Yep! Per my OP, that's exactly what I did.

FYI - Using a DS213J (also running DSM 7 and Emby 4.6.4.0), I tried the exact same method of adding an Emby library on the Synology default share "Photo" that has Synologo Photos concurrently running - also did not work.

Just for G&G, I just now double checked the share setting for system internal user emby and tried creating the Emby library again. still no luck.

Edited by JSopha

That's a bit strange.

Would you want to do a remote support session to see if I can help you with this?
Is so send me a PM and we can set this up.

For anyone following this thread, I just spent time with @cayars in a remote session to work through the details. In short, the problem is that Emby cannot access the default "Photo" share because the folder is owned and limited in access to the individual user accounts of the NAS and to the Synology Photos app. Because Emby is now a system internal user, the permissions, even when set to read/write, cannot override the access privileges established by DSM (Synology Photos is granted admin group rights by default).

Therefore, only two real options exist, with one being a better long term approach. I initially quite liked @RonV42's solution of adding the system Emby user to the admin group, but under further exploration determined that *could* have long term issues with each DSM upgrade. It's also possible that would not happen, but it is equally likely it could. I just am not that technical an expert here to say anything with certainty.

The best option IMHO, was to get educated on Synology Home Folders. Because I am the only user of the NAS, I never setup Home Folders and was accessing all my shares via my personal admin account. For more info on what Synology Home Folders are and how they work and how to set them up, I found this to be a good link -> https://www.networkantics.com/synology-home-folder-setup/

In the end, I simply created the home folders and moved all my photos and home videos to the new home share under my user account. I then added the Emby Home Videos and Photos library and pointed it to the new share (it is now /volume1/homes/UserName/Photos/PhotoLibrary - whereas previously I was using the default Photo share at /volume1/Photo). I ran a library scan and everything worked amazingly well.

That said. @cayars spent a good deal of time with me as we worked through this. Many thanks! Thanks for the extra attention given to all aspects of my system performance.

I try and make the best use of our time while files copy and were waiting. Always a good time to look things over and make little suggestions that could benefit. Things like checking/fixing the config backup can keep you out of trouble in the future and not need the "docs" to visit. LOL. You needed the software upgrades as you were starting to get behind and I wanted to do multiple installs vs one big software jump as it's always best to try and apply each version and get a file scan in as this is well tested.  You even got a dual bonded network in the process. Still can't believe you happen to have the router right there along with the spare cable. :)

Anyway, I wish you a Happy New Year and many long nights of streaming. 

• 1 month later...

Can Synology Photos still be used when all the pictures are place in a different folder than the default /volume1/photos?

If so, how can Synology Photos be configured correctly?