Is there a way to have movies in 2 different sections

RoyH
Go to solution Solved by GrimReaper,

I have my movies separated into "Movies" and "Kids Movies" which was fine but now that my youngest is about to become 13 I need some of the PG movies that I have in my "Movies" available to her in the "Kids Movie" section is there a way to have these movies in both sections without having to waste space having the file duplicated.

I figured that I might be able to put them in a folder and have both "Movies" and "Kids Movies" point to the same folder but I have 5 HDD and PG movies are on all 5 drives so its a lot of work I was just wondering before I start on that task is there an easier way.

GrimReaper

Sure, just add your "Movies" library folder paths to your "Kids Movies" library and then use Tag-based access control by allowing only certain tags on desired user. That's how I give access to junior as he grows up. 

Edit: Do note that you will have to tag all movies in "Kids Movies" library and certain ones in "Movies" library, those that you want to allow her access to. Great batch-tagging tool can be found here: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/99809-a-tool-for-tagging-emby-content/

Edited by GrimReaper76
Append

Deathsquirrel

It's not recommended to add the same paths to two different libraries of the same type.

My recommendation is to get rid of the unnecessary separation.  Here's what you do:

1. On disc, separate out your movies into separate folders for:
    -Movies only your kid will watch
    -Movies only you will watch
    -Movies you both might want to watch
  2. Set up a Movies library with all three folders
  3. Set up user accounts for you and your kid
  4. Give your kid access to folders 1 and 3 from step 1 above.
  5. Give you access to folders 2 and 3 above

Then you see only the movies that interest you and they see only the things they should see, but it's all in the same Movies library.

• Like 1

GrimReaper
1 minute ago, Deathsquirrel said:

It's not recommended to add the same paths to two different libraries of the same type.

Tbh I don't see any reason why same folders couldn't be used in different libraries, as long as those are properly configured and folder hierarchy respected. AFAIK it is well supported in Emby and personally never had issues in years I've had it set up in that manner. 

You need to be careful doing this.  If the two libs are the same type (ie Movies) it can work but you don't want the same paths in two different library types as that will cause strange behaviour.

GrimReaper

Lol OP got three ways to achieve desired result in 10 minutes. Now that's some support! 😂

• Agree 2

Deathsquirrel
Just now, GrimReaper76 said:

Tbh I don't see any reason why same folders couldn't be used in different libraries, as long as those are properly configured and folder hierarchy respected. AFAIK it is well supported in Emby and personally never had issues in years I've had it set up in that manner. 

There was a thread on issues this can cause in the last couple of weeks.  It is not intended that you would add the same path to two different libraries.  At the very least it mucks with the rights model in Emby, as that was the issue in the most recent thread.

GrimReaper
Just now, cayars said:

You need to be careful doing this

1 minute ago, GrimReaper76 said:

as long as those are properly configured and folder hierarchy respected.

Yup. 

GrimReaper
8 minutes ago, Deathsquirrel said:

There was a thread on issues this can cause in the last couple of weeks.  It is not intended that you would add the same path to two different libraries.  At the very least it mucks with the rights model in Emby, as that was the issue in the most recent thread.

And that was triggered by my own post that I posted in a different thread:

However, situation there is different as I deliberatly disabled acces for myself to junior's libraries. And Emby had no issues with that (and never had), everything was still working as desired/expected, it was related to VirtualTV access control logic. But as far as Emby goes - no issues whatsoever. 

Edited by GrimReaper76

24 minutes ago, GrimReaper76 said:

Sure, just add your "Movies" library folder paths to your "Kids Movies" library and then use Tag-based access control by allowing only certain tags on desired user. That's how I give access to junior as he grows up. 

Edit: Do note that you will have to tag all movies in "Kids Movies" library and certain ones in "Movies" library, those that you want to allow her access to. Great batch-tagging tool can be found here: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/99809-a-tool-for-tagging-emby-content/

Ok I tried this I added a Rated R movie to the Kids Movie library then I added Parental Control to one of the 2 kids that have user access to PG13, the PG13 access user could not see the Rated R movie even though it was in the Kids Movie Library the other one with no Parental control could see all the movies that was in the Kids Movie library including the Rated R that I put there.

18 minutes ago, cayars said:

Hi, Instead of doing this I would organize your folders so you can have a single Movie library but use folder access to manage this.  So much easier.

https://support.emby.media/a/solutions/articles/44001160108

To achieve this and this seems to be the easiest way to do it, is Remove the Kids Movie library and just use Movie library for all movies and use Parental Controls to filter contents for the Kids only question I dont want to see the Dora and other kids Movies in my view so how can I get that done.

34 minutes ago, Deathsquirrel said:

My recommendation is to get rid of the unnecessary separation.  Here's what you do:

1. On disc, separate out your movies into separate folders for:
    -Movies only your kid will watch
    -Movies only you will watch
    -Movies you both might want to watch
  2. Set up a Movies library with all three folders
  3. Set up user accounts for you and your kid
  4. Give your kid access to folders 1 and 3 from step 1 above.
  5. Give you access to folders 2 and 3 above

Then you see only the movies that interest you and they see only the things they should see, but it's all in the same Movies library.

This seem to be the safest way to go but also the most work I have over 2K movies on 5 HDD so this seems like a lot of work.

5 minutes ago, RoyH said:

To achieve this and this seems to be the easiest way to do it, is Remove the Kids Movie library and just use Movie library for all movies and use Parental Controls to filter contents for the Kids only question I dont want to see the Dora and other kids Movies in my view so how can I get that done.

Different ways to accomplish this but if it were me I'd use 3 locations for movies:

ChildMovies
SharedMovies
AdultMovies

Name them however you want but basically you add these 3 mount points to a single Movie library then for each user and a single check mark select what they see.  As an example a young child may only get ChildMovies.  A teen-ager might get ChildMovies and SharedMovies. An adult could have access to all 3 or just SharedMovies & AdultMovies depending if they want the Child movies or not.

Folder Access can be used along side normal parental ratings for additional control.

You can do the same thing for TV Shows.  I'm not into Anime but my son is so I can separate them on disk as TV Shows & AnimeTV and have folder access for these.  This way my son gets Anime but I don't need to see them.  Can also do the same for "Reality TV" if these shows aren't something you want to see but others you share with do want to see them.

You can be as creative with folder access as you setup the folder/mount points in each Emby library.

• Solution
GrimReaper
1 hour ago, RoyH said:

Ok I tried this I added a Rated R movie to the Kids Movie library then I added Parental Control to one of the 2 kids that have user access to PG13, the PG13 access user could not see the Rated R movie even though it was in the Kids Movie Library the other one with no Parental control could see all the movies that was in the Kids Movie library including the Rated R that I put there.

You are using Parental ratings controls, I was talkng about Tags. 

Since @cayars graciously shared his setup in detail, here's mine as well (as it doesn't need any shuffling of the existing collection):

My "Movies" library contains folder with all my movies. Junior's - let's call it "Kid's Movies" - library contains folder with all his movies and also a folder with all my movies, same one that makes my "Movies" library. All of his movies (those located in "Kids Movies" library) are tagged with tag 'Noah', and, out of my movies, number of them is tagged with the same tag. As he grows older, I just tag additional movies in my library. His User access is set to "Allow only items with this tag" under 'Restrict Items With Tags" for tag 'Noah'. No Parental rating involved. And I've never had to move a single file. 

Edit: And most importantly, I DON'T see his movies in my collection (nor his cartoons polluting my folder structure) - heck, I don't even want to see his LIBRARY, which led to the issue described above. 😂

But, as far as Emby goes, this works wonderfully for the intended purpose. For now? 

Edited by GrimReaper76
Append
  • Agree 1

rbjtech

I have to agree with Grim - by FAR the easiest way to do this is with Tag's - then you don't need to move or setup any new libraries..

1) - Add YOUR libraries to your childs account ..

a2.PNG.2d2298df7a8242531684a3f594be9f87.PNG

2) - In Parental Controls - change the Tag Restriction to 'Only Allow items with these tags'

3) - Create a suitable Tag Name

a1.PNG.0ce79417371d3d3b6f7da497a0d06926.PNG

4) - Add the Tag to whatever movie you like in your library - and the child account will now be able to access it.

5) - Tag all of the Child library with the same Tag or they will lose access (use the tool mention above).

That's it..

Edited by rbjtech
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, GrimReaper76 said:

are tagged with tag 'Noah'

Hey, the "Noah" tag is reserved for my son.  LOL

• Like 1

GrimReaper
1 hour ago, cayars said:

Different ways to accomplish this but if it were me I'd use 3 locations for movies:

ChildMovies
SharedMovies
AdultMovies

Name them however you want but basically you add these 3 mount points to a single Movie library then for each user and a single check mark select what they see.  As an example a young child may only get ChildMovies.  A teen-ager might get ChildMovies and SharedMovies. An adult could have access to all 3 or just SharedMovies & AdultMovies depending if they want the Child movies or not.

Folder Access can be used along side normal parental ratings for additional control.

You can do the same thing for TV Shows.  I'm not into Anime but my son is so I can separate them on disk as TV Shows & AnimeTV and have folder access for these.  This way my son gets Anime but I don't need to see them.  Can also do the same for "Reality TV" if these shows aren't something you want to see but others you share with do want to see them.

You can be as creative with folder access as you setup the folder/mount points in each Emby library.

While in general it certainly is a viable option, I do see few issues in that arrangement:

1) Future-proof level is quite low, as you'll be perpetually moving files from AdultMovies to SharedMovies as the kid grows

2) You can inadvertently place movie in a wrong folder (even in ChildMovies) and must constantly be aware where something is located, as opposed to Tag-based access where kid has NO access to any new content by default, irrespective of where it is placed, until you explicitly tag it

3) No nice custom image for their own library

Edited by GrimReaper76
Frakking auto-correct
  • Agree 1

No moving things at all after setup.  Think more like this:

BabyShows
KidsCartoons
AdultCartoons
Reality TV
Anime
Foreign TV
Cooking Shows
Fitness TV
etc

So basically categories of movies or tv shows that allow you to customize what you get in your listing. The main objective is to be able to remove or add categories of shows you like or don't like.  So this way you can easily filter out things you don't want to see or not interested in.

You of course could do the same thing with tags but I like this because it's an additional layer of choice/selection and I still have other filtering on top of this like parental filters and tags.

There is no right or wrong way to do this of course and it's just what is best for each admin!

• Like 1

MBSki
50 minutes ago, GrimReaper76 said:

You are using Parental ratings controls, I was talkng about Tags. 

Since @cayars graciously shared his setup in detail, here's mine as well (as it doesn't need any shuffling of the existing collection):

My "Movies" library contains folder with all my movies. Junior's - let's call it "Kid's Movies" - library contains folder with all his movies and also a folder with all my movies, same one that makes my "Movies" library. All of his movies (those located in "Kids Movies" library) are tagged with tag 'Noah', and, out of my movies, number of them is tagged with the same tag. As he grows older, I just tag additional movies in my library. His User access is set to "Allow only items with this tag" under 'Restrict Items With Tags" for tag 'Noah'. No Parental rating involved. And I've never had to move a single file. 

Edit: And most importantly, I DON'T see his movies in my collection (nor his cartoons polluting my folder structure) - heck, I don't even want to see his LIBRARY, which led to the issue described above. 😂

But, as far as Emby goes, this works wonderfully for the intended purpose. For now? 

This seems like a decent approach, but what if you want to also share a photos library with your kids? Using parental controls, you'd have to tag EVERY photo with the Noah tag. Thata what's keeping me from implementing an approach like this. Wish there was some kind of workaround.

GrimReaper
4 minutes ago, mbarylski said:

Thata what's keeping me from implementing an approach like this. Wish there was some kind of workaround.

Not using photos so never got involved there, but I would assume @VicMoore might add support for it in his excellent tool, seeing he's been doing great stuff with it? 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, GrimReaper76 said:

While in general on certainly is a viable option, I do see few issues in that arrangement:

1) Future-proof level is quite low, as you'll be perpetually moving files from AdultMovies to SharedMovies as the kid grows

2) You can inadvertently place movie in a wrong folder (even in ChildMovies) and constantly be aware where something is located, as opposed to Tag-based access where kid has NO access to any new content by default, irrespective of where it is placed, until you explicitly tag it

3) No nice custom image for their own library

I was actually trying cayars idea out and just figured out what to do, but you have a compelling argument so trying yours out now, just got to figure out how to do the Tags all this is new to me so it takes me a few to figure things out.

Me using Parental Controls was not the greatest thing as James Bond movies get through even the PG Rating so thats not what I needed for my grandson.

• Like 1

GrimReaper
7 minutes ago, cayars said:

There is no right or wrong way to do this of course and it's just what is best for each admin!

I absolutely agree, we each have our own precerences, end-result is what matters. 👍

• Agree 1

A few library types have issues where there are no parental guidance exists from meta-data providers to use. Basically only Movies and Shows have this where other types don't like Photos or Music which are both popular library types.

For things like music the folder based approach can be useful to be able to turn on/off things like Christmas music.

MBSki
6 minutes ago, cayars said:

A few library types have issues where there are no parental guidance exists from meta-data providers to use. Basically only Movies and Shows have this where other types don't like Photos or Music which are both popular library types.

For things like music the folder based approach can be useful to be able to turn on/off things like Christmas music.

Being able to add a tag to an entire library might be a good option for photos. 

• Agree 1

Maisy

My Christmas Music is in it's own library, so it can stay where it is all the time, still be accessed if wanted and used when it's the season but can move on the homescreen more to the front for the Holiday time. That's the way I like it.

• Like 1

Ok dont have the faintest idea what I am doing here I download the tool see below now I cant figure out anything else

1. How do you set bebugging tool  to true in HTML

2. The first is the URL to your Emby server on your local LAN. It will be something like "http://192.168.1.300:8096/emby/".  Now I find what I assume is the emby url here In-Home (LAN) access:http://192.168.1.300:8096 but it dont have the /emby/ at the end do I have to add that and where do I enter this info

3. the API I figured this one out but dont know where I enter it.

image.png.58c226a144a21a2db8c94195bf38c89e.png