Which 18TB Drives for Synology

Carlo

Hi, just wondering if anyone else has purchased any 18TB drives yet?
I'll be using these in a Synology 920+

I think I've narrowed down choices to:

WD Red Pro WD181KFGX 18TB 7200 RPM 512MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
https://www.newegg.com/red-pro-wd181kfgx-18tb/p/N82E16822234430?Item=N82E16822234430

Seagate 18TB Exos X18 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s 256MB Cache 3.5-Inch Enterprise Hard Drive HDD (ST18000NM000J)
https://www.newegg.com/seagate-exos-x18-st18000nm000j-18tb/p/1B4-00VK-00616?Item=1B4-00VK-00616

Almost $150 difference between the drives.

From what I've read the Exos drives are louder than WD Red Pros and run about 5 degrees F warmer.

Spaceboy

personally i buy the best value per TB external WD drives and shuck the internal drives out of them. in the UK thats still 14Tb which have previously dropped as low as £200 each. although white labelled they are usually the same model as the red drives and i havent come across any SHR drives through this method yet.

finally, although they say that shucking them voids the warranty i have RMA'd a couple in my time and they have exchanged them without question

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I've got close to 2 dozen WD shucked drives but won't be doing this anymore as the drives now are different and some require mods. The shucked drives are almost always 5400 RPM drives and many require the 2 pin power trick mod which I'm not going to do for a NAS installation. Non of them ever seem to work with WD Red NAS software either. I actually just returned a 14TB WD USB drive because of this.

I've been comparing the shucked to actual Red Pros and the shucked versions are developing issue while none of the Pro have yet had sector issue or the like.

Right now there isn't much info on the 18TB drives written up that have much actual useful information so that's why I posted here to see if anyone have used either.
I'm half tempted to order 2 of each and compare them or just spend the extra $ and stick with the Red Pros which I've had really good luck with.

Spaceboy

i've only need to mod for the power issue if i'm adding shucked drives to my pc, never my synology nas. i have 48 of them now.

had a couple of drives develop issues in that time but SMART reporting issues rather than real issues and i have RMA'd them without issue

You have more of them than me then. :)

Did you stick them back in the case to RMA?

Spaceboy

no, i chuck the case after removing the disks. mostly because i can't be bothered being careful when i remove the disk so usually damage the case.

just return them in an electromagnetic bag and a box with packaging to stop it moving around too much. both times they have sent me back a disk in the external case 😂 to be honest the first time i was half expecting them to deny me a RMA but no questions were asked

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

koopa8840
On 7/29/2021 at 2:18 PM, cayars said:

Hi, just wondering if anyone else has purchased any 18TB drives yet?
I'll be using these in a Synology 920+

I think I've narrowed down choices to:

WD Red Pro WD181KFGX 18TB 7200 RPM 512MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
https://www.newegg.com/red-pro-wd181kfgx-18tb/p/N82E16822234430?Item=N82E16822234430

Seagate 18TB Exos X18 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s 256MB Cache 3.5-Inch Enterprise Hard Drive HDD (ST18000NM000J)
https://www.newegg.com/seagate-exos-x18-st18000nm000j-18tb/p/1B4-00VK-00616?Item=1B4-00VK-00616

Almost $150 difference between the drives.

From what I've read the Exos drives are louder than WD Red Pros and run about 5 degrees F warmer.

I bought some used WD Reds. They're not as loud as other drives I have used. I couldn't tell you about temp, since, at the moment, they sit in an unenclosed docking station. They have twice the cache than the Seagate you have listed.