Subtitles

Super1
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Super1

Hello

I have disabled transcoding on a user so the picture would be original qulity. On the android app it works great but on lg tv app the subtitles dont show and i dont know why

Why not just re-enable transcoding? Our apps will already direct play whenever possible.

Super1
2 hours ago, Luke said:

Why not just re-enable transcoding? Our apps will already direct play whenever possible.

I saw they play direct when possible and it even says the reason for transcoding when you check the server but i tought if the app supports subtitles on android then it should also on tv. Or am i wrong? I wanted to preserve original video quality on LAN at least. 

• Solution

Yes, sorry, that's not exactly true. On android we can embed a custom player that supports a broad range of subtitle formats.

On LG, we can only use LG's provided video player which has limited subtitle format support, generally only the text-based formats.

Super1
On 7/28/2021 at 9:39 PM, Luke said:

Yes, sorry, that's not exactly true. On android we can embed a custom player that supports a broad range of subtitle formats.

On LG, we can only use LG's provided video player which has limited subtitle format support, generally only the text-based formats.

I see. Then yes the TVs sub formats are very bad. Thank you for the explanation. 

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

Hello 🙂

I think I've the same Issue :( 
A soon a I try to put Subtitle on HEVC Movie on the LG tv, it transcode the movie; I take the subtitle off, I'm in direct play.
Of course, I loose a lot of quality by transcoding... 

Following Luke answer, seems to be the LG video player the issue... So nothing we can do to avoid transcoding ? Any update from LG coming ?
I've an Nvidia Shield from 2017, I still have to use it if no other way ? (but the 2017 don't have dolby vision... :( ) 

It will be really nice if I could have direct play directly from TV.

Happy2Play
5 minutes ago, Spyke said:

Hello 🙂

A soon a I try to put Subtitle on HEVC Movie on the LG tv, it transcode the movie; I take the subtitle off, I'm in direct play.

Following Luke answer, seems to be the LG video player the issue... So nothing we can do to avoid transcoding ? Any update from LG coming ?
I've an Nvidia Shield from 2017, I still have to use it if no other way ? (but the 2017 don't have dolby vision... :( ) 

Need more context of the type of subtitles as most clients will require graphical subs to be burned in where text base subs will not.

So if your media meets the devices capabilities it will not require transcoding.  

Edited by Happy2Play

MrVoid21
23 hours ago, Spyke said:

Hello 🙂

I assume the subs are picture based.Pgs most likely.its not that big of a problem,u can find srt subs online for basically everything.Dont transcode your movie just coz the subs aren't supported

Thanks for your answer ,

It's indeed pgs subtitles ... It's a shame that they don't work :( 
So I've try with a .SRT subtitle and it work ! 

I'll maybe try to extract them because finding good synchronise subtitle, it's not easy...  Thanks for your help 😉 

Have a look at SubtitleEdit. It will extract the PGS and run OCR over it to create an srt which is an exact match. You have to put in a little bit of work to correct a few words, but for 10 or 15 minutes effort you can have a good srt

MrVoid21
17 hours ago, Spyke said:

Thanks for your answer ,

It's indeed pgs subtitles ... It's a shame that they don't work :( 
So I've try with a .SRT subtitle and it work ! 

I'll maybe try to extract them because finding good synchronise subtitle, it's not easy...  Thanks for your help 😉 

Do that.Idk what movies ur watching but all the movies i got have srt subs,and syncing is very easy.I don't really suggest doing what sam said,pgs just are a pain in the ass.Even ocring them,there would be countless mistakes.So From now on check the files and make sure you download movies that got srt subs.Cheers

• 2 months later...
MrVoid21

I really liked the new update.Its smooth and looks alright.There are a few bugs but it's not that big of a deal.But we are still stuck with that shitty sub renderer libjass.Why haven't you made the switch to subtitle octopus?

• 7 months later...

Emby for LG TV's 1.0.37 has been released. Stay tuned to the blog for the release announcement.

Can you please try out the new update and let us know how it compares? Thanks !

sylvio2000

Hi.

I tried the latest Version 1.0.37 with my LG TV but it cannot play my movie with pgssub. The loading wheel just keeps spinning...

sylvio2000

I have to correct myself. I tested some other rmovies with pgssub and they played with pgssub.

BUT: The video stream has to be transcoded and my synology DS418play it too weak for video transcoding ☹️

The only solution for my lg tv is to download .srt subtitles within emby (Opensubtitles)

Edited by sylvio2000

SamES
7 hours ago, sylvio2000 said:

I have to correct myself. I tested some other rmovies with pgssub and they played with pgssub.

BUT: The video stream has to be transcoded and my synology DS418play it too weak for video transcoding ☹️

The only solution for my lg tv is to download .srt subtitles within emby (Opensubtitles)

That's correct, currently the only way to play PGS subs is via burn-in, and this requires a powerful server, especially for 4K content.

Hello, 
I've also test and it still transcode as you said when I put PGSSUB

But before, if I remembered well, playing Dolby atmos didn't transcode, and now, even whithout subtitle, when it's in dolby atmos it's transcoding.... 

SamES

You can't play PGS subs, they will always transcode the video.  TrueHD is not supported by LG, so this should convert the audio, but leave the video untouched.

Can you attach an ffmpeg log playing Atmos audio but with subtitles turned off?