Sort episodes by date?

cncb

I am recording all the Tokyo Olympics and since there are no season/episode numbers it seems to sort episodes alphabetically by description.   So,  is hard  to watch these recordings chronologically. Is there any way to sort/display by date?

I forgot about that view since I always use the Library view because I like the episodes grouped by series.  In the Library view they are sorted in the way I described and there seems to be no way to change it.  But I will just use the Recordings view for the Olympics.  Thanks.

• Like 1

Same boat as you.  I typically use the Library Recording option as well but for Olympics this is what I found to work best.

frankmb

I have the exact same issue. While the method above works, it's a pretty poor workaround imho. Episodes from all series are mixed in that view.

It also means that that there are 2 totally different places to find "Recordings":

Live TV -> Recordings

and the Recordings Library, which I find confusing

In the Recordings Library, it impossible to list the episodes by date. It gets really confusing for me since everyday the episode titles repeat. For example everyday there is a new episode named "Morning" and in the list, the episode dates are in random order.

2139244585_embyScreenshot2021-07-31211545.thumb.png.a9922f627650197794d453f0e49c8450.png

I set up Live TV to put recordings in a folder that is it's own library. Is that what I should do? I realize now that maybe I should only access the recordings through "Live TV"

Edited by frankmb

• 1 month later...
On 7/31/2021 at 8:12 PM, frankmb said:

I have the exact same issue. While the method above works, it's a pretty poor workaround imho. Episodes from all series are mixed in that view.

It also means that that there are 2 totally different places to find "Recordings":

Live TV -> Recordings

and the Recordings Library, which I find confusing

In the Recordings Library, it impossible to list the episodes by date. It gets really confusing for me since everyday the episode titles repeat. For example everyday there is a new episode named "Morning" and in the list, the episode dates are in random order.

2139244585_embyScreenshot2021-07-31211545.thumb.png.a9922f627650197794d453f0e49c8450.png

I set up Live TV to put recordings in a folder that is it's own library. Is that what I should do? I realize now that maybe I should only access the recordings through "Live TV"

@frankmb how are the files named?

• 1 month later...

Have you tried using the Recording Library vs recording tab in Live TV?

That should allow you to sort however you wish like in other libraries.

frankmb
9 hours ago, cayars said:

Have you tried using the Recording Library vs recording tab in Live TV?

That should allow you to sort however you wish like in other libraries.

I am trying in the Recordings library. I can't see any option to sort in any other way. See my screenshot above.

My Rescordings library is set as "Mixed Content". Is this how it should be?

Edited by frankmb

I'm sorry, I said that backwards.  I meant to not use the recording library but use the recording tab from inside Live TV.
This will give you a simple view of all recording mixed but allows you to sort.
image.png.ea4403c6bcaaca584e3926e6c77fe4ec.png

frankmb

I see yeah. Your method does work, but since recordings from all series are mixed, I think it's not a great workaround.

I would like to be able to sort by time recorded in the Recordings library. Maybe this issue is caused by incomplete metadata like episode number?

Personally, I don't use the IPTV recording functionality very much. Overall I find it works well on Emby. In this case though it is not possible to make sense of the order of the episodes in the recording library.

Things like Olympics don't really have an order per say.
They for example won't have a season or episode number making any type of sorting hard.
Really the only logical sort order is by recording date or maybe title.

• 3 months later...
frankmb

Olympics are starting again and I have the same issue as before.

If I record all episodes of a series with no episode numbers present in the Guide, I would like to be able to browse the episodes in order of recorded time instead of alphabetical order of episode titles.

Screenshot (6).png

Screenshot (5).png

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, this looks like you're going through the Recordings Library main menu entry.

Instead try going into Live TV, then using the Recording tab instead.
This gives you a different view of your recordings and should easily allow you to change the sort order to what you want to use.

Let us know how you make out.

frankmb

I'm aware of that Recording List. The problem there is that all recordings from all series are mixed together, which makes it very difficult to browse.

In the default thumbnail view, all episode titles are so shortened to be almost useless:

148668995_Screenshot(9).thumb.png.6d38345128b7d48d3a926a04a3277905.png

In the list view, the series name and date recorded are not shown. Only the episode name and recording length is shown. This makes it extremely difficult to browse as well:

710694398_Screenshot(10).thumb.png.71d2c9c67d1f87ee2d7967bd3c07bdcc.png

A better view of single series, full title and date recorded is sorely missing.

• 3 months later...

There is some trickiness here because when a series does not have season/episode numbers, how do we sort the episodes? Currently the next fallback is sort title.

But you could argue that it should be any of the following:

• sort title
  • date added
  • premiere date of the episode

• 4 weeks later...
frankmb

Exactly. I think it should be by date recorded. Or at least make this an option.

Another example would be a daily news show. If i record it every day, i would want to browse by date recorded.

• Thanks 1