Multiple Libraries and Merge series question

richt

richt

This will take a bit of explaining, but here goes.  I have 2 different TV Libraries.  One library includes 7 different folders that contain TV shows.  The reason for multiple folders is multiple drives and multiple NAS devices.  The second library contains a subset of 2 folders contained in the first library used by Emby to record TV shows.  The reason for multiple folders was to simplify finding new TV series recordings.  The larger library contains archives of recordings made over time as well as the new TV recordings folders.  The larger library scans folders, searches for metadata, and writes the data to nfo files.  The smaller library is set to scan and read nfo files, but all internet metadata sources have been deselected so it should not be writing or over-writing any metadata. 

Here's where the problem comes in.  Viewing the superset TV Shows Library, any TV shows that have folders in BOTH libraries appear twice in the library and the 2 occurrences each contain files unique to one of the libraries.  For example, the TV series NCIS appears twice in the larger TV Show library.  Merge Series is enabled. 

Smaller library (Recorded Shows)
f:\Emby\EmbyTVShows
g:\Emby\EmbyTVShows

Larger Library (TV SHows)
f:\Emby\EmbyTVShows
g:\Emby\EmbyTVShows
j:\Video-J\TVShows
h:\Video-H\TVShows
w:\TVShows

The files in these locations appear as one entry for NCIS in the larger library but the series are properly merged in each of the respective libraries.
f:\Emby\EmbyTVShows\NCIS (2003)\Season 18\
g:\Emby\EmbyTVShows\NCIS (2003)\Season 18\
g:\Emby\EmbyTVShows\NCIS (2003)\Season 17\

These Files appear as the second entry for NCIS in the larger library.
j:\Video-J\TVShows\NCIS (2003)\Season 16\
j:\Video-J\TVShows\NCIS (2003)\Season 14\

I haven't been able to find a way to merge them.  All file names are using the same format.  eg. "NCIS S16E01 Destiny's Child.ts" and "NCIS S18E01 Sturgeon Season.ts".  I have copies the the series NFO files from the F: location to the J: location so they are all identical.  As noted before, Merge Series is enabled and seems to be working correctly on a per library basis, but there is a disconnect some place when the folders appear in 2 libraries.  Any suggestions?

EmbyDuplicates.png

Edited by richt
clarify and add text

Hi, merging series is only meant to happen at the library level, so that's why you're seeing this.

I agree it would be nice to allow you to control this.

richt

Luke - I agree, however you haven't quite caught my drift.  The series that are appearing twice are all in ONE library and they are not merged.  My long and confusing explanation in the OP simply states that in the one library that contains ALL folders, some series appear twice and that the division of the 2 unique instances of the series coincides with files (folders) contained in a 2nd library.  Could be a coincidence, but it is the only I've found..

Hi, Is you setup one library has some/partial folders in it while the other library has all folders in it?
So essentially some folders are in both libs?

What you see in your results is likely what's going to happen because of the shared folders which have info for 2 different libs.

It's best to not duplicate folders between multiple libraries and only have content added once on the system.

3 hours ago, richt said:

Luke - I agree, however you haven't quite caught my drift.  The series that are appearing twice are all in ONE library and they are not merged.  My long and confusing explanation in the OP simply states that in the one library that contains ALL folders, some series appear twice and that the division of the 2 unique instances of the series coincides with files (folders) contained in a 2nd library.  Could be a coincidence, but it is the only I've found..

Yea it's just a quirk of adding  a folder to two different libraries. The evaluation probably happened in the context of the library that has only the one series. I don't really recommend adding a single folder multiple times because you're likely to run into small things such as this. Instead I would add it once, and then use the various controls that we have to restrict from users as needed.

richt
20 minutes ago, Luke said:

Yea it's just a quirk of adding  a folder to two different libraries. The evaluation probably happened in the context of the library that has only the one series. I don't really recommend adding a single folder multiple times because you're likely to run into small things such as this. Instead I would add it once, and then use the various controls that we have to restrict from users as needed.

Understood, but here is where we getting into a usability / WAF factor.  The desired objective is to have the library appear twice with each incidence having a separate filter profile, one for new recordings and the other for all files.  If I can't get that, I'll live with the extra series appearance as long as it doesn't start duplicating files on new recordings. 

I could probably get a quick filter if I used favorites to mark the series currently being recorded.  I'll see how it goes, but this means giving up a front end option I've used since I started all this in 2001 (or so) with Beyond TV and then SageTV.  Oh well.... 

richt
3 minutes ago, Luke said:

What is a separate filter profile?

Essentially something I don't think is currently possible, but IF a single library were presented with 2 different views in the My Media section on the home screen, each view of the library would have a different default filter applied.  Example - one view has a favorites filter applied and the other has no filter.

libraries.png

richt
4 minutes ago, cayars said:

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

Two unique views of the same library directly accessible from the main screen. 

I get that, but I'm asking more specifically why?  What is the objective of each view?

Once we understand exactly what you're trying to do, maybe someone can offer a different suggestion to accomplish this for you.

richt

My purpose is to have a view that only contains items I'm currently recording and watching.  Un-watched items may not accurately provide this view as I have unwatched items that I am not currently recording.  The optimal filter for one of the views would be based on the folder.

richt

And this is complicated further by the fact that I cannot remove or rename the "Recorded Shows" Library.

Why not do this
image.png.5178ae1b7f7dbd484d5c8891e03810f9.png

image.png.6b3f0cd0d8b3ecb2601e62e234c1016a.png

You should be able to do this already in the Home Screen settings with the correct options set.

richt

If I'm not mistaken, your use of latest recordings is based recording to the "Default recording path:", correct? 

This might be workable based on your answers to my next question.  I'm currently using "Series recording path" and "Movies recording path".  Can I configure movies to record to "Movies recording path" and leave series recording path blank to have TV servies record in the default recording path folder?

I use a custom default recording path but it shouldn't matter.

Yes you can just set the Movies or TV Series path while still having a default path setup.
However, you may get a different view doing this.  Example if using just default you get a recording library of mixed type (has both movies and shows).  If you specify both a movie and tv show path you can have two recording libs each with specific content.

So you can use these combinations to your advantage depending on need.

richt

The screen shot below would be my intent.  Will this continue to record movies to "Movies recording path" while TV series would be recorded to the default path?recordingpaths.png.a06657564c39272bc0e752678d25f473.png

It should.  If in doubt just remove the default and set Series to F:\Emby.

richt

I'll let you know how it works out after the library scan completes.  Too many anomalies until that is done. 

While no insignificant task, I'll still ask the devs to consider implementing multiple views of a library that can be based on filters and tags and then being able to assign user permissions (especially "delete file") based on the view. 

richt

ALL - Thanks for your help, but I've decided to stick with my original config and ignore the duplicates in the 2nd library as it is really just a minor problem.  I experimented with the options suggested and just found them a bit clumsy for what I wanted (remember I have 20 years of doing this a different way).  However, one of the critical issues for me is around delete permissions.  I use a limited account on the local network for all my viewing devices (Rokus & PCs).  This account cannot delete files from any library except "Recorded Shows".  This prevents the accidental deletion of files from the "TV Shows" (archive) library.  I didn't see a way to duplicate that other than by using a separate library.  My kludge solution is to get a bit more proactive about archiving shows so that only the current season is in "Recorded Shows".

Once again thanks for your help. 

• 6 months later...

i know this is an old thread, but have to thank you for explaining... i've been battling with this problem for 2 days.... my last theory was that the db was clearing out previous attempts.  but i also have the same folder in 2 libraries...  

since emby is pulling all the metadata correctly for the two instances, it shouldn't be too painful to match them up and only display on instance... 

just wanted to say thank you so i can stop beating my head against the wall wondering what's wrong.