Downloading

crusher11

vdatanet

Maybe mobile apps should have both options (Download and Download to) as the web app. Download = Donwload to this device

CBers
27 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

"Nope" was to @CBers

Can you see the downloaded file on your phone? 

Mine is in Downloads. 

crusher11
16 minutes ago, vdatanet said:

Ready to transfer: Item is transcoded (or does not need transcoding) and it's ready to download. It usually takes quite a while as background tasks on iOS are quite limited. Sooner or later it will appear in downloads.

It's been around 24 hours.

15 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

tbh I think it's odd it doesn't just say 'this device'  - that would make more sense.

To be certain in the future - rename the device in the 'Devices' section on your dashboard to something more meaningful - ie 'Rich Android Phone'

Why would renaming devices change anything? I didn't pick a device, I just hit "download", and apparently it felt someone else's phone was the best place to go. I know it's the wrong phone because of the device name, in the Downloads section.

11 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

If it's converting - depending on your emby schedule, you may have to force it if you want it 'now' - look in the scheduler 'Downloads and Conversations' section .. 

It's set to every 3 hours and again, it's been around 24. Give or take.

9 minutes ago, vdatanet said:

Maybe mobile apps should have both options (Download and Download to) as the web app. Download = Donwload to this device

They do. Download is on the item details page proper, Download To is buried in the three-dot menu.

2 minutes ago, CBers said:

Can you see the downloaded file on your phone? 

Mine is in Downloads. 

No.

rbjtech
2 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

Why would renaming devices change anything? I didn't pick a device, I just hit "download", and apparently it felt someone else's phone was the best place to go. I know it's the wrong phone because of the device name, in the Downloads section.

Not sure if IOS is different, but on Emby for Android on my phone, I do not get a 'Download' option - only 'Download To'.

I was then presented with various Samsung Android models rather than names - hence my comment about renaming on the server to avoid potential issues for future downloads ..

As to why your 'download' is appearing on another phone - I guess Emby support will need to see your logs ..

crusher11
3 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Not sure if IOS is different, but on Emby for Android on my phone, I do not get a 'Download' option - only 'Download To'.

I was then presented with various Samsung Android models rather than names - hence my comment about renaming on the server to avoid potential issues for future downloads ..

As to why your 'download' is appearing on another phone - I guess Emby support will need to see your logs ..

I'm on Android. There's a Download button. I clicked it, selected a quality, and hit "OK". It set up a download for someone else's iPhone.

That download still hasn't actually done anything, it's just sitting in a queue, along with one other download to that same phone and a download to my phone (which I did using the Download To option).

31 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

If "download" doesn't download, why is the button there?

Download is just that.  It will download the file as is just like any other download you ever do in a browser.  It will either go to your OS download folder or where ever you have downloads set to.

24 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

tbh I think it's odd it doesn't just say 'this device'  - that would make more sense.

To be certain in the future - rename the device in the 'Devices' section on your dashboard to something more meaningful - ie 'Rich Android Phone'

Renaming devices IMHO is crucial as the admin user who typically has access to all devices.  A typical user (especially with proper setup) will only have access to their own devices so having 2 or 3 "iPhones" show up typically won't matter.

I myself very much dislike the menu name "download to" and have disliked this change.  I still think "sync" or "sync to" is a much better description of what this function actually is.  Especially because it does "sync" and not just download.

crusher11
2 minutes ago, cayars said:

Download is just that.  It will download the file as is just like any other download you ever do in a browser.  It will either go to your OS download folder or where ever you have downloads set to.

Except it doesn't. It queues up a download to someone else's phone, which never completes.

1 minute ago, crusher11 said:

Except it doesn't. It queues up a download to someone else's phone, which never completes.

Except it is.  Open a browser (like I said) and try the download menu item vs the "download to" option.

On Android the download button is the same as "download to" via browser except it already knows the device to download/sync to.

This is what I mean by not liking the name change of "download to".  Sync IMHO was better as it's short and can also be used on mobile apps as well as browsers to make the intention of the feature crystal clear (well more clear anyway).

So to recap "Download" on an app is different than "Download" in browser.

crusher11
2 minutes ago, cayars said:

On Android the download button is the same as "download to" via browser except it already knows the device to download/sync to.

No, because it downloaded to someone else's phone.

Except, well, it didn't, because it's stuck on "ready to transfer".

I'd be almost certain you selected the wrong device to sync to.

Can you reproduce this going to the wrong device?

On Android the download button is the same as "download to" via browser except it already knows the device

That is correct.

crusher11
18 minutes ago, cayars said:

I'd be almost certain you selected the wrong device to sync to.

Can you reproduce this going to the wrong device?

I didn't select a device.

If I "Download to..." and select my phone, it downloads to my phone. If I just "Download", it downloads to a different phone.

If you just "download" from the web interface it downloads to that machine and should be in your browsers download folder.

crusher11

Does anyone want to address the actual issue, instead of discussing things I'm not doing and things that aren't happening?

I'm on Android mobile, using the Android mobile app, and when I press the "Download" button on the item details page, it queues up a download to someone else's phone, which never actually transfers any data.

If I use "Download to" I can queue up a download to my own phone, but it still doesn't ever actually transfer any data.

CBers
9 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

I'm on Android mobile, using the Android mobile app, and when I press the "Download" button on the item details page, it queues up a download to someone else's phone, which never actually transfers any data.

I'm on Android mobile, using the Android mobile app, and when I press the "Download" button on the item details page, it immediately starts downloading to my phone.

Have you tried un-instaling and re-installing the app on your phone?

rbjtech

In settings > Downloads > Location - are you using internal or external storage ?  Has emby asked for (and you accepted) permissions ?  Is Download only on Wi-Fi enabled ?

As with Cbers - I've tried both the direct 'Download' button and 'Download To' button - both transfer to my phone in maybe 1 min or so.  In the server dashboard (under downloads) you can see it being queued up and move from Transferring to downloaded.

A nice feature I was not aware of is it also then gives you the option when you play it (using the normal mult-version type drop down) - to use the downloaded version or the normal (streamed) version.

So it technically it works fine - so I would reset your logs and try again with a new download and post the logs.

..or look for the "ReportSyncJobItemTransferred" in the log yourself.  My log says this after the transfer :

2021-07-28 16:42:23.145 Info Server: http/1.1 POST http://192.168.30.100:8096/emby/Sync/JobItems/33/Transferred. UserAgent: okhttp/4.0.1
2021-07-28 16:42:23.146 Info App: ReportSyncJobItemTransferred 33
2021-07-28 16:42:23.147 Info App: Deleting temporary sync directory C:\Emby-Server\programdata\sync\33\33

note emby uses ..\programdata\sync as a temp area to transfer the file - it creates a subdirectory for each file by the looks of it - so have in look in there to see if the files are still there.

Edited by rbjtech

crusher11

Internal, yes, yes but Wi-Fi has been on the entire time anyway.

No idea how to get to programdata on a Synology install.

crusher11

I don't know?

And it still downloads, by default, to a different phone. Which is also the default if I select "download to..."

Yes but you can change the device downloaded to from web correct?

You just said

3 hours ago, crusher11 said:

And it still downloads, by default, to a different phone. Which is also the default if I select "download to..."

Where is "download to"?  Is it not in the web UI?

Edited by cayars