Downloading

crusher11

crusher11

So I've tried downloading a movie on my phone, just to test it out...but after I confirm the download there's no sign of anything happening? No progress bar, no nothing. No idea how I'm supposed to know if or when it finishes, or how to play it back once it does. The "Help" button on the download dialogue takes me to a page about the Sync feature.

Did you download or "download to" ?

Download is just like a browser download where as "download to" is more like a sync to the device.  Depending on settings the "download to" may need to convert first.
Try looking at the Conversion menu from the server dashboard.

crusher11

There's only a "Download" button as far as I can see?

Non-admin users can't see the Dashboard so that's not super helpful.

crusher11

So I just found the "manage downloads" thing but nothing is listed there. Nothing is listed in "conversions" either although again that's admin only isn't it?

I don't get it. 

Hi check the user setting to make sure this is enabled:
image.png.f3624351f1d9e98609a88db90ddf8410.png

This is from the web UI but you can see both "downloads" listed here.  You want the highlighted one.

image.png.5bbf89201c562321acd00d79a729fa82.png

vdatanet

I have never managed to do it from the web app using "Download to". I have only had success downloading directly from the device.

Edited by vdatanet

Which options did you use for the sync job?
Is Emby running on your phone?

crusher11

What sync job?

I just want to download a copy of the movie to my phone so I can play it offline. Apparently that requires some sort of degree in Embying.

• Haha 2

CBers
11 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

What sync job?

I just want to download a copy of the movie to my phone so I can play it offline. Apparently that requires some sort of degree in Embying.

Just enabled the options that @cayars highlighted above on my daughter's account and immediately the Download option was available and I was able to download content to my phone.

Check those settings above for your user account. 

crusher11

The button is present.

I can press "download" and set a quality to download in, or "download to" and pick a device and quality. But when I check the "downloads" section of the app it lists 0 downloads.

CBers
1 minute ago, crusher11 said:

The button is present.

I can press "download" and set a quality to download in, or "download to" and pick a device and quality. But when I check the "downloads" section of the app it lists 0 downloads.

Have you tried navigating to the content in the Emby app on your phone and tried playing it? 

I didn't see anything in the downloads section in the app, but I see where the video is on my phone. 

If I start the the app, find the content and hit play it works. 

If you put you phone in airplane mode, it should continue playing, proving it's playing locally, rather than from the server. 

• Agree 1

vdatanet

In "Manage Downloads" in your phone is the item "Ready to transfer"? It appears to me there quickly, what happens is that it takes a long time to download, I guess due to the restrictions background transfers from the iPhone.

If a conversion is required, is there the ffmpeg log? 

crusher11

"Nope" was to @CBers

@vdatanet All that shows up in "Manage Downloads" is 'No offline downloads. Download your media for offline use by clicking Download throughout the app."

crusher11
Just now, cayars said:

Anything showing in the Dashboard->Conversions menu?

"No downloads found. Create download jobs using the Download buttons found  throughout the app."

Sounds like you didn't do a "download to" then but a "download" which is different.

Try it again making sure to choose the download to option then picking your phone.

rbjtech

What does it show in the 'Downloads' section on the main dashboard ?

This appears to work fine for me using the Android App - it shows the download in the 'Downloads' section on the bottom icons.  

vdatanet

Do you select the proper device in "Download to"? Make sure there are no duplicate devices and that you are actually selecting the right one.

crusher11
4 minutes ago, cayars said:

Sounds like you didn't do a "download to" then but a "download" which is different.

Try it again making sure to choose the download to option then picking your phone.

If "download" doesn't download, why is the button there?

2 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

What does it show in the 'Downloads' section on the main dashboard ?

This appears to work fine for me using the Android App - it shows the download in the 'Downloads' section on the bottom icons.  

Apparently my first two attempts went to someone else's phone. One is transcoding at 0%, the other is "ready to transfer" whatever that means.

My third attempt went to my phone and is "ready to transfer".

• Haha 2

vdatanet

Ready to transfer: Item is transcoded (or does not need transcoding) and it's ready to download. It usually takes quite a while as background tasks on iOS are quite limited. Sooner or later it will appear in downloads.

rbjtech

tbh I think it's odd it doesn't just say 'this device'  - that would make more sense.

To be certain in the future - rename the device in the 'Devices' section on your dashboard to something more meaningful - ie 'Rich Android Phone'

rbjtech
2 minutes ago, vdatanet said:

Ready to transfer: Item is transcoded (or does not need transcoding) and it's ready to download. It usually takes quite a while as background tasks on iOS are quite limited. Sooner or later it will appear in downloads.

If it's converting - depending on your emby schedule, you may have to force it if you want it 'now' - look in the scheduler 'Downloads and Conversations' section ..