Remotes with numpad for AndroidTV devices

CharlieMurphy

CharlieMurphy

I've read some older threads discussing this. If I understand correctly, Emby on AndroidTV can work with a number pad on a remote to change channels in Live TV. Is this accurate?

If so, what are the current options? Google's G20 reference design is what I would want in a perfect world, but what are the options right now that actually work?

It would be nice to keep a current thread of what works and what doesn't.

CharlieMurphy

Thanks!

Does it have to be Harmony Elite, or can it be a cheaper Harmony model? I saw an old thread where someone said only the Elite was working, but it seemed like it was a work in progress at the time.

And that would be controlling the Android box with IR and not Bluetooth/WiFi, right?

Also are there any notable functions that don't work with that setup?

Do you have a TV that supports CEC?

If so the remote that came with the TV itself might work assuming you turn on CEC support in the ATV box.

I can do this on my Shield TV using the Samsung remote.

• Like 1

CharlieMurphy

Whaaaaaaaat?! I had no idea that works.

My main objective is getting Emby to be something my parents are comfortable with. They have a 2020 model Samsung TV, currently using the CCwGTV so I'll have to try setting that up. Good call!

The only issue is that their soundbar is optical so I don't think the TV remote would control volume in that setup. Definitely going to mess around with this idea, thanks.

• Like 1

justinrh
7 hours ago, CharlieMurphy said:

The only issue is that their soundbar is optical so I don't think the TV remote would control volume in that setup

What would be the issue?  What does an optical connection go to do with anything?  The TV could drive the soundbar volume, or the remote could drive the soundbar directly, right?

CharlieMurphy

As far as I know, optical can't send control signals like HDMI-CEC can. Even though it's a Samsung soundbar, the remote codes are obviously different because the Samsung TV remote wont do it (when you hit volume buttons, it says "OPTICAL"). CCwGTV remote is just lovely about controlling everything and setup is a breeze, it just lacks numbers.

In this case, CEC works to control Emby! Number pad works! The remote that came with the TV doesn't actually have numbers but I found an old Samsung DVD player remote and it works! It doesn't control sound but this opens up some other options. If the remote that came with the TV had numbers, I'd like to think I'd have tried it.

Can you not reprogram the remote to control your optical sound bar?
That's usually what you would do.  You should be able to find a manual for both your new and old Samsung remotes that should be able to be programmed to control sound.

• Agree 1