Emby doesnt start on my Tizen anymore

Waldemar Jost

Waldemar Jost

Hey guys,

just installed the latest emby app 1.0.99 via sideloaded usb on my Tizen. It works great for 2-3 weeks but actually i can't start it anymore.

Everytime i started the app i get the message: "The application cannot be started because the validity period has expired." The orignial message in german is: "Die Applikation kann nicht gestartet werden, da der Gültigkeitszeitraum abgelaufen ist."

Tried to reinstall the app without any change. Only when i install an old version of the emby app, like the 1.0.88 it works.

My tizen firmware version is: T-NKMDEUC-1497.0, B0052200/B60402; BT-S

Can you help me?

Edited by Waldemar Jost

rodainas

I know this may not the answer you are looking for, but is more of a tip:

I just change the region to a supported country like usa and install emby from the store, to avoid that type of problems of validity and expirations.

Reset app hub, remote buttons combination on agreement screen, then country selector.

FrostByte

Maybe try downloading it again?  Did you delete the old before installing new or did you upgrade?  It's only 17 days old and should be able to run another 13 days without problems.  

Waldemar Jost
1 hour ago, FrostByte said:

Maybe try downloading it again?  Did you delete the old before installing new or did you upgrade?  It's only 17 days old and should be able to run another 13 days without problems.  

Well, it may not have been the very latest version after all, had not followed the change history, when exactly which emby Tizen version has been released.

It was installed the latest version from 17 June 2020 and this no longer works for about a week.

According to your statement I understand that it runs error free only 30 days and then must be reinstalled? This can not be intentional or? Can I disable the validity period check somewhere?

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

rodainas
4 minutes ago, Waldemar Jost said:

Well, it may not have been the very latest version after all, had not followed the change history, when exactly which emby Tizen version has been released.

It was installed the latest version from 17 June 2020 and this no longer works for about a week.

According to your statement I understand that it runs error free only 30 days and then must be reinstalled? This can not be intentional or? Can I disable the validity period check somewhere?

Thats imposed by Samsung for sideloading apps, its a feature for developers and not really for enduser usage, so they limit it at OS level.

• Like 1

FrostByte
1 hour ago, Waldemar Jost said:

As rodaines mentioned the 30 day expiration of sideloaded apps is a new mandate from Samsung forcing app developers to use the Samsung store which they charge money for.  USB is meant for testing only, but for many people like yourself you can't get the app from the Samsung store and thus you use the USB method. which now has to be loaded every month unless you kept a really old version before this all started.

The only way to get around it that I'm aware of is to change your region to US, UK or Ireland like rodaines also mentioned.  The only issue with that is that you can only load store apps from the one region.  For some people that's not an issue because Emby is the only smart app they use.

• Like 1

SamES

And just to be clear, after 30 days you need to install the new release, you can’t just reinstall the old release. 

• Like 1

Waldemar Jost

Ok Thanks a lot for the informations. Thats the reason why the "very" old versions worked more than 30 days... so i have to take a desicion which way i have to go...

11 minutes ago, Waldemar Jost said:

Ok Thanks a lot for the informations. Thats the reason why the "very" old versions worked more than 30 days... so i have to take a desicion which way i have to go...

Why wouldn't you just use the latest version?

Waldemar Jost

Because in the past i havn't got any probs and still used the running system. Actually we got an newer tizen tv with an newer samsung tizen os and i have to install emby for the first time and chossed in that case the latest version with the "now knowing problems"

12 minutes ago, Waldemar Jost said:

Because in the past i havn't got any probs and still used the running system. Actually we got an newer tizen tv with an newer samsung tizen os and i have to install emby for the first time and chossed in that case the latest version with the "now knowing problems"

OK so  you don't have an actual problem with a newer version. I was just wondering. Thanks.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
alturismo

and may seriously, i dont know how much samsung wants to charge you to get in the app store, but this is meanwhile the point where i also dropped it.

once in a month, uninstall, push the USB in the "hidden" oneconnect box, wait for install, resetup again (login) ... really not the best solution.

on my previous tv at least  i could just always install the new version ontop and it worked, but now always uninstall, reinstall ... just as note, was a nice idea with USB loading, but meanwhile on newer TV's or newer Tizen Versions ...

• 3 months later...
Astrocat

The application cannot be started because the validity period has expired. I paid for premium emby, now i can not use it on my tv. Should i request a refund ?

FrostByte
6 hours ago, Astrocat said:

The application cannot be started because the validity period has expired. I paid for premium emby, now i can not use it on my tv. Should i request a refund ?

You need to delete the version you have and install the latest version every 30 days.  Samsung recently enforced a policy of 30 day limit from compiling date on all usb apps. 

Or, change your app region and install from the store

4 minutes ago, Astrocat said:

Deleted Emby from Samsung TV and reinstalled, Thank you. Not going to purchase Samsung anymore.

Thanks for the feedback. Apologies for the disruption. We're doing the best we can to play by Samsung's rules.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
schamane

What does this mean Luke?

Can u plz describe a bit what´s the issue in here?

As far as I get it, in US Versions of the TV it is in the Store, for EU Versions it has to be sideloaded, what means it will just run for 30 days, what pretty annoying to be honest.

So a few questions to that topic

1. do they charge extra for the EU store and u are not willing to pay that?

2. When I change the TV to US, will it be ok to go back to EU Countries afterwards or do I have to stay on US?

3. Is an US IP necessary to use US Region?

4. Or is there a solution for this in the meanwhile which I am not aware of?

k0Lm.
2 hours ago, schamane said:

sideloaded, what means it will just run for 30 days,

This is actually not true, its something they applied. Im sideloading other apps which i installed somewhere last year, havent been updated and still work like a charn.

schamane
On 11/16/2021 at 4:31 PM, FrostByte said:

You need to delete the version you have and install the latest version every 30 days.  Samsung recently enforced a policy of 30 day limit from compiling date on all usb apps. 

Or, change your app region and install from the store

Seems like this happens in the meanwhile, maybe if u would reinstall ur sideloaded app, it would also stop working every 30 days.

1 hour ago, k0Lm. said:

This is actually not true, its something they applied. Im sideloading other apps which i installed somewhere last year, havent been updated and still work like a charn.

If you installed something before Samsung added this policy then yes that might be true, but once you install a newer version of anything the new rules will apply.

FrostByte
15 minutes ago, schamane said:

Seems like this happens in the meanwhile, maybe if u would reinstall ur sideloaded app, it would also stop working every 30 days.

I install the usb version every time Luke posts a new version because I prefer to always have the latest right away instead of waiting for Samsung.  Doesn't bother me.

Others prefer the store and will need to change their app region to US/UK if it isn't already.

schamane

but if it would be in the store it would update itself right?

So what is the issue with adding it to the store?

• Like 1

k0Lm.
21 minutes ago, Luke said:

If you installed something before Samsung added this policy then yes that might be true, but once you install a newer version of anything the new rules will apply.

Actually, last sideload i did was on feb 3rd 2022, over network instead of usb.

Still works, not updated and no autoupdate included in the build.