Content Played From USB HDD Buffering

TomBrady12

TomBrady12

I have an Nvidia Shield 2019 Pro with Emby Server and a 5TB USB HDD. 

I am trying to play 1917 in 4K Dolby Vision but the video stops every few seconds. I tried enabling "Pass direct path," but no change. The same video plays without issue on 2 other media players. I also tried playing some HD content (Children of Men, about 40mbps) over my local network and that played fine.

Log file attached. Stats for nerds:

Player: ExoPlayer
Display mode: 2160/59.94
HDR support: HDR10, DV
Play method: Direct Play
Stream type: HTTP

Video resolution: 3840x2160
Video codec: HEVC (direct)
Bitrate: 82.93
Audio codec: TRUEHD (direct)

Container: mkv
Video codec: HEVC
Video bitrate: 82.93
Frame rate: 23.98 fps
Audio codec: TRUEHD
Audio channels: 7.1

embyserver.txt

Hi.  So you are running the server and the app on the same device, correct?  That bitrate may just be too much for all of that I/O.  Are you positive you had the direct file access setup properly?  Your stats show delivery via HTTP.

TomBrady12

Yes, server and app are both on the Shield. The library I'm playing from is on the Shield: /storage/426201AB6201A52F/Movies.

I enabled "Pass direct path," but files played directly from the Shield are still displaying "HTTP". Files played from my PC (same Shield server and app) over LAN are displaying "File" under Stream type and play without issue.

Furthermore, my 4K HDR titles all play flawlessly on my Shield/HDD combo with no buffering on other apps. Problem is, I don't like those other apps, I like Emby.

I'm really at a loss.

6 minutes ago, TomBrady12 said:

I enabled "Pass direct path," but files played directly from the Shield are still displaying "HTTP"

That means you have not configured the "Optional Network Path" properly with respect to how the Android device sees it.  Please see:

TomBrady12

I've tried mapping the network path like this...

Folder is pointed at: /storage/426201AB6201A52F/MOVIES
Shared network folder at: \\192.168.1.210\5tb\MOVIES 
Using this method, I get Direct Stream, HLS, and super lag.

Folder is pointed at: /storage/426201AB6201A52F/MOVIES
Shared network folder at: /storage/SHIELD/5tb/MOVIES
Using this method, I get Direct Play, HTTP, and the same lag I was experiencing before.

Those are the only 2 network paths I can conjure for the USB HDD attached to my Shield. 

TomBrady12

Yes, the shares are mounted on Shield and show up under "My Network Storage". 

EDIT:

It's odd to me that files located on a HDD attached directly to the server require a network path. Nevertheless, I did try both network addresses listed above, which were recognized by Emby, but playback was still not playing from File (HTTP or HLS).

Edited by TomBrady12
Clarification

I take it that would be something like  \\192.168.1.210\5tb\MOVIES  correct?

Using a Android File util such as x-plor are you able to access that URL and browse it?

You would think that URL should theoretically work then but this is a weird type of setup for sure.

TomBrady12

All I'm trying to do is play media from a HDD plugged directly into the Shield. I'd assume I'm not the only one?

Plex does this without a hiccup, but Emby's interface is so much nicer.

Well you can play back media on the Shield without using direct play which is optional but you're using the device as both a server and a client with a piece of media that has an average bit rate of 83Mb which is very high. That's likely just too much for the device to hand doing both jobs.

Can you direct play it from Theater or another device on your network? Even this is likely pushing it.

TomBrady12

I can direct play 4K HDR content with Dolby Vision and Atmos on Plex (Plex server and client on same Shield). 

I can direct play 4K HDR content with Atmos on Kodi (no Dolby Vision).

I can direct play 4K HDR content with Atmos on VLC (no Dolby Vision).

I don't want to spend money on Theater when Plex will do what I need for free.

I'll keep an eye on Emby, and maybe return in the future, but for now I think only Plex will work with my use case.

Thanks for your help.

15 minutes ago, TomBrady12 said:

I can direct play 4K HDR content with Dolby Vision and Atmos on Plex (Plex server and client on same Shield). 

Is it direct playing or transcoding?

TomBrady12

Direct playing.

EDIT: 

I confirm this basically every time I watch a video to make sure. I spent last weekend watching Lord of the Rings in 4K DV/Atmos on Shield (running client and server) with no issues for the whole 12+ hours of direct play.

Edited by TomBrady12
Clarification