Debian 11 branch 5700 XT transcoding not working

wwwwgizy

wwwwgizy

I am trying to get transcoding working correctly.

Hardware:

Host: X570 AORUS ELITE WIFI -CF

Kernel: 5.10.0-8-amd64

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X (24) @ 3.800GHz

GPU: AMD ATI Radeon RX 5700 XT

Memory: 918MiB / 16011MiB

The Situation:

• With "Hardware Acceleration" turned off - 4k videos transcode correctly but it uses a lot of CPU usage for one video. I would think that a Ryzen 9 3900X would be able to handle more than one 4k video even without the GPU. I would say it uses about 60% cpu on all 24 threads which seems excessive to me. I can get 3 4k videos to transcode at the most just off the CPU at 100% usage on all cores.
  • With "Hardware Acceleration" turned on - 4k videos will not transcode at all. I get an error message.No compatible streams are currently available. Please try again later or contact your system administrator for details.
    • Playback Error
      No compatible streams are currently available. Please try again later or contact your system administrator for details.
    • Sometimes the video does transcode and the GPU goes to full 100% graphics pipe usage. But it mostly does not work.
  • I've tried installing different AMD drivers. 
  • VA-API
  • Firmware
    • Tried installing firmware-linux & firmware-amd-graphics

I am not sure what to try next. 

embyserver.txt

Edited by wwwwgizy

thegrunge

Are you trying to read a web application or a 4k device directly? If this is on a web application and your screen is not 4k it will not work. At least I tried on my own and it didn't work.

wwwwgizy
8 hours ago, thegrunge said:

Are you trying to read a web application or a 4k device directly? If this is on a web application and your screen is not 4k it will not work. At least I tried on my own and it didn't work.

4k device directly

thegrunge

ok then make sure your video card is one of the compatible devices for transcoding with emby. I checked quickly and I did not see it

wwwwgizy
9 minutes ago, thegrunge said:

ok then make sure your video card is one of the compatible devices for transcoding with emby. I checked quickly and I did not see it

Someone told me that  AMD video cards are not supported on Linux. Either get an NVIDIA or switch to windows. Dont know how true it is? seems like nvidia graphic cards I might need?

thegrunge

I had heard the same rumor for nvidia cards, see amd cards supported with emby at the link given by Q-Droid. I have an NVIDIA 1660 Super and I have no problem on linux. I know on the other hand that with crypto money the video cards have tripled in price

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-prorad-lin-amdgpupro

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-prorad-lin-18-40

Edited by thegrunge

wwwwgizy
5 minutes ago, thegrunge said:

I had heard the same rumor for nvidia cards, see amd cards supported with emby at the link given by Q-Doid. I have an NVIDIA 1660 Super and I have no problem with linux

Everyones saying p2000 or p4000 gpu? which linux or you using? 

thegrunge

simply ubuntu 20.04 gnom. I really have no difficulty transcode multiple reads in fact I barely use 10% gpu

e1715963316_Capturedecranle2021-07-25a20_49_33.png.076958ffc22c33f9c8c656ae93f0417c.png337792824_Capturedecranle2021-07-25a20_49_24.png.7c5f42cca3ca1596a57e1c0d23030663.png

Edited by thegrunge

thegrunge

I paid 425 canadian dollar before the price hike I do not know the p2000 I could not say...

Edited by thegrunge

wwwwgizy
7 minutes ago, thegrunge said:

simply ubuntu 20.04 gnom. I really have no difficulty transcode multiple reads in fact I barely use 10% gpu

e1715963316_Capturedecranle2021-07-25a20_49_33.png.076958ffc22c33f9c8c656ae93f0417c.png337792824_Capturedecranle2021-07-25a20_49_24.png.7c5f42cca3ca1596a57e1c0d23030663.png

How many 4k movies can you play at sametime?

thegrunge

I haven't tested it, but I'm really not worried. I am thinking of making crypto money with

wwwwgizy
16 minutes ago, thegrunge said:

I haven't tested it, but I'm really not worried. I am thinking of making crypto money with

Wouldn't my CPU be able to just run 4k by itself easily? without struggling?