Roku live playback choppy

sargenthp
Go to solution Solved by speechles,

sargenthp

One of our local stations actually broadcasts at HD.  But this station always gives me trouble when watching on my Roku Ultra system.  If I watch on my iPhone there is no problems.  Any ideas?

Thank you!

sargenthp

What details are you looking for?  The Roku system, the HDHomeRun devices, the broadcasting station?

Just a FYI the HDHomeRun app that I just installed on the Roku system plays back fine.

What do stats for nerds display during playback?

Can you show us an ffmpeg log that was generated at the same time as that stats for nerds display?

Is this 60fps h264 with ac3? Is it anamorphic and interlaced? Apologies but this may be related to these issues below with Roku. The HD HomeRun application may be playing this without fully exposing transport. Can you only pause and play with the HD Homerun app? There is no rewind unless you pause. With Emby you can rewind into the entire playback buffer that has been kept because Emby changes the container to allow full transport. You can rewind/fast-forward and catch up to real time. Can you do this on the HD HomeRun app or does it reach a limit.

https://community.roku.com/t5/Playback-Issues-Audio-Video-Power/New-Roku-Ultra-and-SE-stutter-with-60-fps/m-p/496536

https://community.roku.com/t5/Playback-Issues-Audio-Video-Power/Stuttering-audio-Roku-Ultra-HD-4k/m-p/612257

If you press DOWN during video playback on your Roku remote it opens the OSD. Press the cog/gear to open Playback Settings. Then click the "Attempt Playback Correction" button and see if it fixes the problem. Let us know if this helps.

Edited by speechles

sargenthp

Roku System… Ultra 4660X.  Software version:  10.0.0 build 4209-46.  Hardwired to my network.

Emby Client:  4.0 build 31

Emby Server:  4.6.4.0

See attached pics for Nerd stats and a pic of the screen stuttering.  I did try “Attempt Playback Correction” and did not help.

I cannot do any fast forwarding or rewinding in the HDHomeRun app since I do not have DVR for that setup.  That is what I use Emby for.

Thanks for the assistance.

EB69F6D3-F3E9-41BD-BA19-BF63D257CF2B.jpeg

91D58F28-0113-465F-AC9D-115F126019E7.jpeg

• Solution

Could it be the hardware acceleration is throwing wrenches? It has both Decode and Encode used. If you disable hardware acceleration and try again does it have the same issue?

I have that same exact Roku Ultra model 4660. I experience issues too.

Edited by speechles

sargenthp

Well… That might be it.  Been running great for a few minutes now.

Thank you, speechles!