Adding Large Music Collection Slowed Down my Emby Server to a Crawl

dcpete

dcpete

I have a ReadyNAS 316.  After I added my large music collection (245k tracks), performance in all categories, Movies, TV Shows, Music Videos slowed to a crawl.  What I'm talking about is when I launch an Emby client (usually from a Shield), it becomes unresponsive for sometimes as much as 10 minutes, but always minutes instead of seconds.  Once everything is populated, it seems to playback content fine.  (In that regard, I never transcode anything)

I also have a Desktop Windows machine running Emby Server that performs much, much better with the same content.  So this is definitely an issue with the NAS box.  Btw, I have upgraded my memory to 4gb on this box from the stock 2gb.

I have other Netgear NAS boxes in my fleet and they all show the same problem and basically render playing music on them unusable because of startup time.  

I would be happy to try any suggestions you might have and/or take any logs you would like to see.  But I do seem to have found an upper limit with these boxes running Emby as a server on them.  

Btw, before adding the music to the server, my large Movie and TV show collection was running just fine with Emby as a server on my NAS box.  So it seems, the music collection overwhelmed it.

HI there, what version of emby server are you running? The server can handle a large music collection just fine, but the initial scan could be a resource intensive process for your NAS. But once that is done there shouldn't be any problem.

• 2 weeks later...
As777

I didn't have any performance issues running a large music collection with my video collection on the same server (running a Raspberry 4 4gb) but I have now split up Emby into 3 different servers using Docker which makes management slightly easier. It also allows me to split my music collection properly.

If you can run Docker on your NAS I would give this approach a try. The added benefit is its very portable since all the configs are contained in a single folder. I reinstalled my entire system today and it only took an hour or so to put everything back to normal.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I've removed the music library from that box and can't easily replicate this again.  But I have seen the same symptoms on 2 other Netgear boxes.  Sorry about that. I meant to do some trouble-shooting for you, but got distracted.

Thanks, Chris

If you can run Docker on your NAS I would give this approach a try. 

Thanks for the suggestion.  Will look into it.

Chris

• 1 year later...