Opening an Android App via .strm file or similar?

rayw

Hi, is it possible at all to launch an Android app via .strm file or something similar? I'd like to add the shows I watch from Netflix, Prime and Disney+ to my collection to have them all in one place and figured the easiest way would be with something like .strm file, but I'm probably wrong. Any advice?

I was thinking something like the .strm file holding the URI for the video, such as disneyplus:\\disneyplus.com\video\bbacb0b8-f726-47db-837c-6fe925401562, but I believe that the Emby built-in player will just try and play this and return an error. Is there any known work around I haven't managed to find in my Google searches?

Thanks, 
Ray.

• Agree 1

rbjtech

Not possible I'm afraid - all the commercial streaming services will be using DRM - you can't just reference a stream and start playing it .. 😉

33 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Not possible I'm afraid - all the commercial streaming services will be using DRM - you can't just reference a stream and start playing it .. 😉

I understand that, but I don't want to play the stream inside Emby. I want to launch the native app from inside Emby. For example, the link in my original post is the URI for Doctor Strange in Disney+.

Basically what I want is something similar to what apps like Reelgood or JustWatch do, where they launch the video file via the official Android apps.

• Agree 1

Hi.  No, it isn't possible to do this at this time.  It would be quite tricky as well because you'd need to set these up in your library somehow and then each individual platform would have to be able to somehow know how to launch the proper app.

4 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  No, it isn't possible to do this at this time.  It would be quite tricky as well because you'd need to set these up in your library somehow and then each individual platform would have to be able to somehow know how to launch the proper app.

That's unfortunate but understandable. Thanks for the reply.

• 1 year later...

Please add support for this.  I added this to the SageTV Android app and it is easy.  You just need to launch an Intent with the specified URL and the system will open the appropriate app.  I think Apple has similar support but you could just have it Android-only for now.

15 minutes ago, cncb said:

Please add support for this.  I added this to the SageTV Android app and it is easy.  You just need to launch an Intent with the specified URL and the system will open the appropriate app.  I think Apple has similar support but you could just have it Android-only for now.

Right, but that is specific to the Android platform.  You would now have something in your library that could only be played on an Android device that has the appropriate app installed.

5 minutes ago, ebr said:

Right, but that is specific to the Android platform.  You would now have something in your library that could only be played on an Android device that has the appropriate app installed.

The user would be manually adding this, so they would be aware of the limitations. You could make a new file type or have multiple entries in the .strm file, the previous general one and a specific one for Android.

How about an optional second line in the .strm file that would indicate an external link.  For example:

http://www.somesite.com/starwars.mp4
https://tv.apple.com/us/movie/star-wars-a-new-hope/umc.cmc.2o65qvudvwq1l1rqjlbyfszwn

The other platforms could just ignore this line (and if you are just reading the first line of the file now anyways it would require no changes to other apps).  Please consider this or something similar.  I have several movies that are digital-only and would like to be able to launch them directly from my Emby library/app.