SRT subtitle size on Xbox One X

markle88

markle88

After upgrading my server to 4.6.4.0 today, my subtitles on the Xbox app are now tiny. I'll try to get the logs uploaded shortly. 

I haven't seen the problem on any other clients.

markle88

Sorry, meant to get back to this last night, but life got in the way. 

Attached is the Server log from last night. 

I tried re-installing Emby on my Xbox but the problem still persists. Before the upgrade to 4.6.4.0 the subs worked fine.

The Subtitle settings on my xbox are set to "default" but the subs show up so tiny in Emby that you can barely read them. In any other app they are fine (e.g. Hulu, HBO, Prime, etc...). It's just the Emby app. I adjusted the xbox subtitle settings to 200% size, and got the emby subs to where i could read them, but then subs in all my other apps are gigantic and take up half the screen.

Is there a way to adjust the Emby Theater app subtitle size and format? I wasn't able to find it anywhere in the menus. 

embyserver-63762487801.txt

FrostByte

No, I'm watching Crouching Tiger 4K right now and external srt look rather large and very readable.  Movie is direct playing and subtitles are at normal size

• app 1.1.361
  • server 4.7.0.3
Edited by FrostByte

13 hours ago, FrostByte said:

No, I'm watching Crouching Tiger 4K right now and external srt look rather large and very readable.  Movie is direct playing and subtitles are at normal size

• app 1.1.361
  • server 4.7.0.3

Thanks ! @markle88 this really sounds like it might be caused by some text size setting on the Xbox.

• 5 weeks later...
Rohanaj

I know this is from a few weeks ago, but I have experienced this issue as well, starting over this last weekend on my original Xbox One.  I'm not sure whether something on the Xbox updated for me over that time or what, but it began where I thought subtitles weren't displaying at all anymore, because they were tiny and black font.  For testing, I picked two video files, both of which I had watched a couple weeks ago on Xbox, so I know the subtitles worked correctly then:  (1) MKV H265 format with .srt subtitles in the file; and (2) MP4 H264 format with external .srt subtitle file.

Oh, running Emby Server 4.6.4.0

Here were my results:

1. Emby for Windows (1.1.365.70) on Xbox One (MKV transcoding due to subtitle format not supported; MP4 direct play) - tiny, black-font subtitles prior to Xbox full shutdown/unplug/restart; tiny, white-font subtitles after.
2. Emby for Windows (1.1.365.0) on Windows 10 Laptop (MKV transcoding due to subtitle format not supported; MP4 direct play) - normal, white-font subtitles display as usual.
3. Emby in Chrome and Firefox on Windows 10 Laptop and Desktop (MKV transcoding due to subtitle format not supported; MP4 direct play) - normal, white-font subtitles display as usual.
4. Emby on Roku Ultra 2019 (MKV direct play; MP4 direct streaming) - normal, white-font subtitles display as usual.
5. Emby on Android; Samsung Galaxy S10+ and Chromebook (MKV direct play; MP4 direct play) - normal, white-font subtitles display as usual.
6. Emby on iPad (MKV direct play; MP4 direct play) - normal, white-font subtitles display as usual.

The most relevant comparison is likely the two Emby for Windows versions, between Xbox One and the Windows 10 Laptop.  They seem to be slightly different versions, although maybe that's just the Microsoft Store in Windows not setting the ".70" on the version number?  Anyway, I would tend to expect the same issue in the two Emby for Windows instances if it were a problem with that particular app, which seems to reinforce the idea that something on the Xbox One itself is causing the issue.

I do agree that it's super frustrating that this is happening, as I watch a ton of content with subtitles on normally.

@FrostByteAny chance you'd have luck recreating the issue if you try now with Emby for Windows version 1.1.365.70 on Xbox One?  I really don't think the fault lies with the Emby app on this one, but, if it can be recreated for you now, another brain trying things on Xbox to resolve it wouldn't be a bad thing.

This problem, coupled with the ongoing audio stutter on Roku (Roku's system update's fault from back in March) for certain file/audio types, is rapidly killing my options for main-living-room-TV Emby use...first-world problems at their finest, I know.

Ah, well, nothing to get too upset about, but, if any of the information above is helpful, in the slightest, that's great.

markle88

Yeah I'm still having this issue as well. Haven't been able to find any sort of fix. Sorry your having the same issue, but at least now I know I'm not alone 😅. Glad to get some more brains working it as this has driven me to use other services on my Xbox. I would like to get back to emby.

Dryparn

I see the same thing as Rohanaj at my Xbox Series X. It started 2 days ago, the 24th or maybe even the 23rd as i didn't watch anything then. The small black sub happens to all sub formats i have tried except for ASS witch instead just shows subs sometimes during the movie, it comes and goes.

Edited by Dryparn

Nathanael

Well think i figured it out. There is a setting on the Xbox itself that causes the issue. Look on the Xbox in settings,  accessibility, subtitels.

Hou need to reselect White and increase the size tot be able to see them.

Edited by Nathanael
  • Like 1

Nathanael

Well i was a bit tot harsh. The setting does something. But not with all files and on 200% it is still quite small.

Edited by Nathanael
  • Like 1

Rohanaj

Yeah, I had experimented with the Xbox settings under accessibility, as I believe markle had as well.  While it made it a little more readable, it also put giant subtitles on everything else you do on the Xbox.  I think it still comes down to Xbox's latest system update and the Emby app on there not playing nicely for subtitles.

• Like 1

FrostByte

Yes, I recently got the Xbox update also which changed this since my earlier post back in July.   Seeing the same thing with the really tiny subtitles. 

Unfortunately, the Xbox setting is global and then becomes too huge elsewhere.  An Xbox app setting like in other Emby apps would be nice 

• 2 weeks later...
FrostByte

This appears to be working in v.366 using srt external subs which are now normal size and visible.  Tried several of the subtitle options and they appear working also.  Thanks

• Thanks 2

Updated to v.368 this morning (had to uninstall and reinstall, since it wouldn't find an update from v.365 for some reason), and subtitles look to be back to normal size.  Thanks so much for getting that straightened out!