Required IP's for Emby to collect metadata / images / subtitles?

Johnsonsa93

Johnsonsa93

Whole setting up my Synology NAS I followed a tutorial that suggested setting a "deny all" firewall rule in my NAS and opening up ports and IPs as I need them.

When I purchased Emby premium I was having trouble getting the key to authenticate and turned off the deny all rule. Viola, it worked.

Recently I was having trouble getting my TV show library to scrape metadata and couldn't download any subtitles. The thought occurred to me to try turning off the deny all rule again. And again, this fixed my issue.

Clearly emby needs to talk to some internet services to function properly. Does anyone have a list of what IP's need to be allowed to talk to emby for it to function? Things like collecting metadata, looking for updates, finding subtitles, looking for plugins, etc?

Thanks for the help!

Hi, we don't have a list of their IP's as these services are not maintained by us, but what I would suggest doing is looking through your server log to see outgoing http requests which you can locate by searching for "httpclient".

Then once you have a list of those urls, then determine their ip addresses. Please note these services are not ours, so the IP addresses could change at anytime.

Since some of these services can use cloud providers such as AWS the list of IPs could be huge.

Just curious but what guide did you see recommending a deny all rule?

That's the recommended approach. Deny all in the firewall then make allow rules on top of that. I've done the same but I only host home content so can't help with the Question sorry

OK, you would have been fine with that but you need to add special rules for all apps your running.  So you would need a rule to allow Emby to communicate outbound.