Serious conflict or error with Skin "HALLOWEEN" in Android TV client.

Fabian2101

Fabian2101

Hello, I want to inform and warn the developer of the Emby client application for Android TV, that since the last updates of the Emby server for the Windows operating system, especially since they added the new CONTINUE WATCHING (LEGACY), when selecting the Skin appearance "HALLOWEEN", the Android TV client application hangs immediately, stops working and closes, and no longer allows any changes to be made in the configuration because the Android TV client application hangs without responding until about a minute later closes. The most serious thing is that when this problem occurs, the only way to return the Android client application to normal operation and work is to completely remove the entire Emby server on the Windows operating system computer, reinstall and configure the entire Emby server from zero, losing absolutely all the history data of the contents of series and movies watched, and also in the CONTINUE WATCHING (LEGACY).

Many times I like to select the “HALLOWEEN” skin appearance because it is actually the one with a fairly intense black background to enjoy the perfect black that my Smart TV with OLED (organic light-emitting diode) technology achieves. I can assure you that the “DARK” skin appearance that is selected by default in the Android TV client application, the background color is a very dark gray, it is not actually black, if it were really black the pixels of my OLED TV would remain absolutely off to show true deep black with infinite contrast.

I will be waiting for you to please let me know when you solve the serious problem that the Android TV client application hangs and does not work when I select the “HALLOWEEN” skin appearance. I didn't test it, but I don't rule out that other Skin appearances like "HOLIDAYS" are also causing the same error and conflict that the "HALLOWEEN" Skin has.

Best greetings from Argentina.
Fabian.

vdatanet
8 hours ago, Fabian2101 said:

when selecting the Skin appearance "HALLOWEEN", the Android TV client application hangs immediately, stops working and closes, and no longer allows any changes to be made in the configuration because the Android TV client application hangs without responding until about a minute later closes.

That's really strange, I have no problems using Halloween skin.

I tested this last night and again this morning on both Shield TV and MiBox S devices and both work for me.

@Fabian2101 what version of the ATV app are you using on which device?

• Like 1

vdatanet

@Fabian2101

Sending a log from the Android TV app after crash may help. You have to enable debug options in the Android TV app. After app crash, open app again and immediately afterwards send a log from the user menu. Provide your user name, server name and the time to make it easier to locate the log.

• Like 4

vdatanet

If it happens again, instead of taking the drastic re-configuration of the server from scratch, first try deleting the user and creating a new one. If something bad happens, it must be something related to the user profile, not the server.

Deleting data/cache of the Android TV app also may help.

Edited by vdatanet
  • Like 1

FrostByte
12 hours ago, Fabian2101 said:

Many times I like to select the “HALLOWEEN” skin appearance because it is actually the one with a fairly intense black background to enjoy the perfect black that my Smart TV with OLED (organic light-emitting diode) technology achieves. I can assure you that the “DARK” skin appearance that is selected by default in the Android TV client application, the background color is a very dark gray, it is not actually black, if it were really black the pixels of my OLED TV would remain absolutely off to show true deep black with infinite contrast.

There is a new Black theme also, but it may only be in the beta right now

• Like 1

Fabian2101
10 hours ago, vdatanet said:

@Fabian2101

Sending a log from the Android TV app after crash may help. You have to enable debug options in the Android TV app. After app crash, open app again and immediately afterwards send a log from the user menu. Provide your user name, server name and the time to make it easier to locate the log.

@vdatanet   I am very sure that it will be quite difficult to generate an error log at the same time that the error is generated since the Android TV client application is totally stuck, stagnant, and not responding, and in about a minute or less than a minute it will be closes by itself. Hopefully the result of your other recommendation from the message below, I will try to register of mistakes by creating a new user for tests  on the server, I will generate the error by selecting HALLOWEEN Skin, then I will delete the test user on the server, and then hopefully the application client already works normally so I can send the error log.

Fabian2101
10 hours ago, cayars said:

I tested this last night and again this morning on both Shield TV and MiBox S devices and both work for me.

@Fabian2101 what version of the ATV app are you using on which device?

@cayars    The problem happens to me on my four Android TV devices, on my Smart Tv Philips 55OLED873 / 77 currently with Android TV 8 oreo; in me another Smart Tv Sony XBR-55x805E, in the Xiaomi Mi Box 3 of the year 2016, and in the Xiaomi Mi Box S of the year 2018, all these last mentioned devices with Android TV 9 pie. And with version 2.0.09g of the Emby client for Android TV. The server for Windows in version 4.6.4.0.

Fabian2101
10 hours ago, vdatanet said:

If it happens again, instead of taking the drastic re-configuration of the server from scratch, first try deleting the user and creating a new one. If something bad happens, it must be something related to the user profile, not the server.

Deleting data/cache of the Android TV app also may help.

@vdatanet   Clearing the cache, and also all the data of the Android TV client application in the current version 2.0.09g does not solve the problem because I already tried. The only way he had given me the solution was to completely remove the server, and reinstall from scratch.

I am looking forward to your recommendation to only delete the user in the result server, so I will only have to create users for tests with which I can generate the error on purpose, so I can generate an error log to report them. And I will also be able to do the tests waiting for the definitive solution to this serious problem. I am going to generate a new test user, with that test user I am going to cause the error, and then later I will tell you if it gives results, just delete that user on the server so that the client application works fine again.

Fabian2101
8 hours ago, FrostByte said:

There is a new Black theme also, but it may only be in the beta right now

What is the exact beta version of Black Skins new look? Is black really okay to enjoy infinite contrast on OLED TV?

Fabian2101
16 hours ago, vdatanet said:

@Fabian2101

@vdatanet    I have already sent two error logs, with user Testing-2 generate multiple times the Android TV client application jam by selecting HALLOWEEN Skin. With the user Testing-1 I sent him the error logs since it is impossible to send it with the same user Testing-2 because the application is completely hung without responding with HALLOWEEN Skin. The error logs were sent at 02:00 am and 02:10 am Buenos Aires, Argentina time (UTC -03: 00) on July 21, 2021. The server name is FMCU2101.

I will keep trying to send the error log from the same User Testing-2 throughout the early morning, and the morning, but you have to understand that it will be quite difficult because the client application is completely stuck and mired, and not responding. Hopefully you can see the error logs generated and sent to you from the other Testing-1 User.

I hope this information helps you to find the source of the error and solve it. Please let me know if they found the error logs and if they can understand the cause of the problem.

Edited by Fabian2101

FrostByte
5 hours ago, Fabian2101 said:

What is the exact beta version of Black Skins new look? 

You can sideload beta 2.0.31 from the testing area.  Link is in the pinned post at the top there

• Like 1

Fabian2101
3 hours ago, FrostByte said:

You can sideload beta 2.0.31 from the testing area.  Link is in the pinned post at the top there

@FrostByte      From what I'm seeing beta version 2.0.31g is only compatible and works with at least Android TV 9 or higher. It is a tremendous problem for me because my OLED873/77 TV the manufacturer Philips left it stuck in Android TV 8 and the chances that Philips sent the update to Android TV 9 are very low.
I have the Xiaomi Mi Box S with Android TV 9 version, but at the moment I do not use the Mi Box S much because since they updated from Android 8 to Android 9 in January 2019, the Mi Box has a serious problem that it works very badly switching between HDR and SDR playback.

Would you have an apk of version 2.0.31g but what if it works on Android TV 8?

GrimReaper
22 minutes ago, Fabian2101 said:

@FrostByte      From what I'm seeing beta version 2.0.31g is only compatible and works with at least Android TV 9 or higher. It is a tremendous problem for me because my OLED873/77 TV the manufacturer Philips left it stuck in Android TV 8 and the chances that Philips sent the update to Android TV 9 are very low.
I have the Xiaomi Mi Box S with Android TV 9 version, but at the moment I do not use the Mi Box S much because since they updated from Android 8 to Android 9 in January 2019, the Mi Box has a serious problem that it works very badly switching between HDR and SDR playback.

Would you have an apk of version 2.0.31g but what if it works on Android TV 8?

For sure the Devs would not restrict client app usage in such severe manner, limiting it to Android 9 and above, IIRC minimum version required is 5.0.

Fabian2101
4 hours ago, FrostByte said:

I could already test version 2.0.31g, I had to install it on the Xiaomi Mi Box S with Android TV 9, because the Philips OLED TV gives an error in the installation process with Android 8. You are right, there is a new BLACK Skin that if it is really black and and on my OLED TV it has a very deep black background with infinite contrast.

Do you know if the new BLACK Skin will soon reach a stable version of the Android TV client that can be installed on Andoid 8? Do you have an estimated date?

Hi, it probably should already work on Android 8 and if not probably something that should get reported in the beta section so it can get looked at.  Could you make a post in that section to describe what device/TV you tried installing on and what message you got.  This was a dev can confirm or look into this for you.

So after installing 31g on the Mix Box S, how did the Halloween theme work?

Fabian2101
35 minutes ago, GrimReaper76 said:

For sure the Devs would not restrict client app usage in such severe manner, limiting it to Android 9 and above, IIRC minimum version required is 5.0.

It just gave me an error in the extraction of the package when I tried to install 2.0.31g on my Philips 55OLED873/77 TV with Android TV 8. But on the Mi Box S with Android TV 9, I was able to install 2.0.31g without any problem.

GrimReaper
3 minutes ago, Fabian2101 said:

It just gave me an error in the extraction of the package when I tried to install 2.0.31g on my Philips 55OLED873/77 TV with Android TV 8. But on the Mi Box S with Android TV 9, I was able to install 2.0.31g without any problem.

I would assume then that it is tied to that particular Philips Oreo "flavor", as @cayars stated above, do report same in the appropriate beta section of the forum.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/forum/123-android/

• Like 1

Fabian2101
16 minutes ago, cayars said:

Hi, it probably should already work on Android 8 and if not probably something that should get reported in the beta section so it can get looked at.  Could you make a post in that section to describe what device/TV you tried installing on and what message you got.  This was a dev can confirm or look into this for you.

So after installing 31g on the Mix Box S, how did the Halloween theme work?

Unfortunately the HALLOWEEN Skin also hangs, does not respond, and closes itself in version 2.0.31g. Luckily I am testing it with test users that I add on the Windows server that is in version 4.6.4.0.

I have also already sent several records of the error since 02:00 am, Buenos Aires time, Argentina (UTC -03:00). Server name FMCU2101. I generated the error with user Testing-2, and the error logs I sent with user Testing-1.

If I setup an account on one of my servers, would you mind testing against my server to see if it does the same?

• Like 1

Fabian2101
25 minutes ago, GrimReaper76 said:

Asumiría entonces que está ligado a ese "sabor" particular de Philips Oreo, como @cayars indicado anteriormente, informe lo mismo en la sección beta correspondiente del foro.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/forum/123-android/

Reported the bug in the Beta section. You can read it in the following link:        

Fabian2101
21 minutes ago, cayars said:

If I setup an account on one of my servers, would you mind testing against my server to see if it does the same?

Okay, let's do the test. How do I connect the client to your server and your account? Can you send me the data?

2 minutes ago, Fabian2101 said:

Okay, let's do the test. How do I connect the client to your server and your account? Can you send me the data?

Yes I will PM you the URL, username and password in a few minutes to one of my test servers.

• Like 1

Fabian2101
5 minutes ago, cayars said:

Sí, le enviaré un mensaje de correo electrónico con la URL, el nombre de usuario y la contraseña en unos minutos a uno de mis servidores de prueba.

Okay, I wait for your email with the data.