Want to add 2 HD but have no more data power cables

all4dom

all4dom

I have my main emby server that has 4 hard drives (all my media), an ssd (OS) & 1 additional drive for storage of pics, files, etc.

I also use my old hp pro liant server with windows home server because I added 2 additional hard drives for more storage.

The hd drive for the pro liant died today & I was thinking that I can add those 2 hard drives to my main emby server by putting them in the dvd rom slots. My problem is I'm using up all the sata power connectors (6) & am.not sire what to do. I have 2 empty connectors that power perrefials but would I be able to buy adapters that would power the hds?

Thanks

Dom

• Like 1

lorac

Yes you can buy SATA power splitters from Amazon, Ebay or any local computer store. HDD don't require a lot of power from the PSU.

all4dom

If I'm saying it right, the 2 extra connectors are molex, so I would need a molex to sata cable?

lorac

Yes you can get molex to SATA adapters or just regular SATA splitters if you have those in your rig. Whatever is easiest really. For.molex it's generally 1 molex to 2 sata but SATA splitters come in a variety of sizes.

Q-Droid

The saying goes molex to SATA, lose your data. I can't vouch for it though I've had no problem with SATA to SATA splitters. 

• Haha 2

all4dom

On my power supply, I have only 1 sata power slot & I'm using that with a six sata power cable. I did read that a molex to sata adapter is not enough juice for a hard drive, but I dont know. Could I add a sata adapter to one of my sata inputs that would make that 1 into 3?

MediaMogal
8 hours ago, Q-Droid said:

The saying goes molex to SATA, lose your data. I can't vouch for it though I've had no problem with SATA to SATA splitters. 

NOPE power distribution doesn't work that way. Been using molex to sata for well over a  decade and no issues. Now that said what are your system specs and what wattage is your psu?

Edited by MediaMogal
  • Agree 1

Q-Droid

It sounds like you have a modular or semi-modular PSU? If so then be very careful because the connectors and cables for those are not always wired the same from one maker/brand to the other. Even if the plug is a match there's no guarantee the wiring is.

If you're going to use an adapter make sure the wiring is correct. At least with molex or SATA splitters the pinouts are standard. 

I honestly don't know how much you can or should push a 6x SATA power lead to add more connectors and drives.

MediaMogal

I agree with @Q-Droiddon't branch too much. I personally would never do more than a two way splitter(molex to two sata). Now if you only have one sata to begin with I'm betting you really don't want to add those drives eternally cause you probably don't have the power for them.

chef

I bought an over kill PSU years a go. It was a EVGA 850.

But the thing has not died, and it has been running for at least 8 years straight.

That thing has run 6 spin drives, 1 solid state, a five port USB 3 card, and a 1650 GPU... 24 hours a day, non stop. 🤣😂🤣

Edited by chef
  • Like 1

all4dom

My main emby server has a 550 watt power supply, Intel i5 & 4 hd for media, 1 ssd for windows & 1 hd for misc storage. I only use it for emby & recording, editing media, etc. I could fit the 2 extra hd in the dvd slots. I thought about ditching my misc drive & just putting that stuff on a usb stick & keeping it plugged in so I would only have to have 1 molex to SATA connector.

My pro liant is old, it was what I used for media browser when I first started. 

The other thing i thought about is maybe just buying a cheap ssd, download windows 10 on a usb stick & load it onto the pro liant server. I dont care about running slow since it's always on & only serves as additional slots for media. Do you guys think this might be a simple solution?

• Like 1

MediaMogal

I've had 4 HDD's and a SSD on a 650 watt psu with a 750ti and a AMD mobo and CPU and twice I ended up replacing the power supply. I finally made the HDD's all external.

• Like 1

all4dom

I just went & bought a cheap ssd. I'm going to download win 10 via usb & install in the pro liant. Dont care about speed because it will always be on. Hopefully this solves the problem.

• Like 1

all4dom

I put the ssd in the pro liant, but couldn't bracket it & made the mistake of just letting it lay on metal... smelt smoke so scratch that. Need to keep this simple without spending a ton of money of a new power supply. Can I buy a hard drive enclosure the would hold 2 hd & just plug in via usb & include it in emby?

all4dom

Going to try something later but the power connector burnt a little bit so I may have to replace it.

all4dom

I'm thinking something like that will my best bet. Just run them external for.now & down the road I have to look at replacing my main hd with much much larger ones. Thanks guys 

• Like 1

MediaMogal
On 7/19/2021 at 9:32 AM, all4dom said:

I just went & bought a cheap ssd. I'm going to download win 10 via usb & install in the pro liant. Dont care about speed because it will always be on. Hopefully this solves the problem.

Install a Arch base Linux distro with the Plasma desktop you'll be MUCH happier.

rbjtech

Technically, a Molex connector is not your limitation here.

Each Pin (it has 4 - 2 for 12v, 2 for 5v) is capable of running 10A - thus with your average HDD using 1A@12v + 1A@5v (keeping the sums simple), that's 10 x HDD's - PER Molex.

The connector rating is one thing, but it's the CABLE and PSU that also need to be rated for that amount of voltage/current (=power).

In modern decent brand PSU's - the 12v and 5v Rails should not have issues with 10A - but cheapo PSU's will use 'thin' underrated wire as they are not expecting large current draw.

Personally I run 5 x HDD's (+ fan) per Molex in my individual arrays and this seems like a sensible amount - not straining the connector nor the cable.