Emby crash

jerren
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

jerren

When using emby to cast to my chromecast and going through several movies while still deciding what to watch, it crashes and the only way to fix it is to restart the jail.  It seems to happen when i switch quickly between things.

Running emby 4.6.4. This happened in the past sometimes too but since i didn't watch on tv all that much i didn't get around to making a post about it.

embyserver .txt

jerren

I'm not sure if this is related but since recently my video has started pausing on it's own, it happens both when emby is selected and when it's not. I've had it happen 6 times today alone, all on the web client and when i watched through chromecast with the mobile app it was fine.

I read in other posts it might be because of transcoding issues but this machine can handle atleast 4 concurrent streams from my personal tests ( i've even seen testing with similar hardware on youtube that said it could do 10). But the subs used here are .srt files which shouldn't cause transcoding. The problem occurred both when being the only one watching something as when others are watching.

I asked someone else who also watches through the webclient and they have not have issues yet. They also use chrome like myself for emby. I added the most recent log, current time is 23:39 so a little before that is when the last problem occurred.

One thing i changed recently about chrome is that i added the extension dark reader, not sure if anyone has any experience with that giving issues.

Since i know viruses are a thing i'll be scanning my machine in the meantime so i can rule that out. I already reset chrome and dumped it's cache it didn't help either.

-Virus and malware scan on machine used to watch content didn't reveal anything, did find 2 undesired registry entries so removed those.

embyserver19072021.txt

Edited by jerren
Update info in post

jerren

Another update, i restarted the truenass host machine last night since i hoped that might help. Just watched a movie again (through mobile on chromecast) and it paused for a couple of seconds on it's own like reported earlier, oddly enough this time it resumed on it's own after 5 ish seconds.

embyserver20-07-2021.txt

jerren

Again i had to restart the emby jail, this time at the start of the movie it was stuttering both audio and video on both the chromecast viewing and the emby webviewing so mobile wireless vs pc wired connectivity. No idea why.

• 3 weeks later...
jerren

Just now i had the problem that i couldn't connect to emby on mobile so i restarted the jail and it works fine again, seemed to work fine with the webclient besides a transcoding thing at the end of an episode. Which proceeded to just go to the next episode afterwards so i didn't pay it no mind. But after a restart i can connect to the jail again. Added a log from before and after restart.  

Edit: Trying to watch a movie right now and i can start series just fine, but i tried over 3 different movies and no succes, added the log from after my attempts.

2nd edit: After rebooting all machinery involved, i've established that at the moment i can watch series and listen to music through my chromecast but for some reason movies are out of the question. I check on the webclient after i was done trying to watch on tv and movie worked just fine there, another log so you can see the difference. 

If anything else is needed let me know.

after-embyserver.txtbefore-embyserver.txt3movies-embyserver.txtwatchingonwebclient-embyserver.txt

Edited by jerren

Duffyx

Seems like a problem I'm also seeing, that Emby service just crashes after a certain time (mono core dumps).

jerren

I don't know what it is but usually restarting the emby jail on truenas fixes the problem, this time sadly movies can't be watched through chromecast. And since i unpowered everything once already (tv, receiver, chromecast, modem, hostmachine) i'm lost what it could be.

jerren

@Q-Droid sure thing, added below the ones that are from that time frame. The movie i was trying to see was spiderman homecoming if that helps looking in the logs, tried alot of times but i figured i would give a few different time logs, had alot of em but figured you didn't need too many of the same thing.

@Luke I installed it through command line, it's been working fine for a long time now. Could watch movies fine in the past on it, problems started becoming more frequent at the time of making the topic. Before posting the problem would only occur maybe every 6 months or so, now it's can be fine for 3 weeks and then it's almost daily where i need to do something.

ffmpeg-transcode-98bd2811-04ff-49ae-a8e2-b800710deac3_1.txtffmpeg-directstream-f037e523-7e9b-4324-8803-b143f67b4cdc_1.txtffmpeg-remux-551a3a92-d502-4ab1-b230-ac3c8e95dc4c_1.txtffmpeg-remux-45a6cfb7-42da-4b43-963c-43413ab22293_1.txtffmpeg-transcode-ffb76bb4-c738-48c2-a49f-0c5cc59abdfe_1.txtffmpeg-remux-aff61cb7-b211-4fee-9c0a-e2557b8238a3_1.txtffmpeg-remux-f85ea843-7d97-4838-bd22-42403ac414be_1.txt

Q-Droid

Nothing obvious jumps out. It looks like Transcode Throttling might not be enabled which can add I/O and CPU overhead but if your playback is on Chromecast I think throttling is still not working for that device.

Quite a few port mapper errors though I don't know what effect those have.

Q-Droid

Can you disable automatic port mapping and enable throttling then see how it goes? 

Network -> Enable automatic port mapping (uncheck) -> Save

Transcoding -> Enable throttling (check) -> Save

jerren

After posting and uploading i went to my own setup again and unplugged everything from the chromecast. Powerplug, usb into power, usb c into chromecast and the hdmi plug into the receiver. After plugging it all back in, it now works again. I can start playing contect like before and i have absolutely no idea why.

jerren

So i'm pretty sure the not being able to watch thing was because of the chromecast and haven't had to restart the jail yet but that's probably because i haven't used emby much lately besides watch a movie.

On 8/7/2021 at 11:25 AM, Q-Droid said:

Can you disable automatic port mapping and enable throttling then see how it goes? 

Network -> Enable automatic port mapping (uncheck) -> Save

Yea I would try this, based on the number of errors in the log about it. Another thing you could do is disable the realtime monitor for each of your libraries, and then restart the server.

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

jerren

Ok so i unchecked the automatic port mapping, left the transcoding one alone since i found a clip saying my cpu can handle 10 1080p streams at the same time and at most i'll have a max of 3 vids at the same time playing so good on that.

I had disabled realtime monitoring ages ago when you said it could give issues so no worries on that, i've been turning that off every time i make a new library. 

I guess i'll post back if/when i have to restart the jail. If i encounter an entirely new problem i'll just make a new topic for that.

jerren

So far i haven't had to restart the jail anymore so i guess it was the automatic port mapping? Like i said if it happens again i'll post back unless ofcourse it's a couple of months from now.

OK I'm glad to hear that. I was also going to suggest that a newer version of the mono runtime will potentially help:

jerren

I wish i had waited with posting but just now i had emby pauze on it's own again. It only happened the one time so far and i've been watching through the web client without a problem until now. But since i also mentioned it in the early stages of this post i figured i would keep it in here. The last timestamp of the show i was watching is at 2021-08-19 23:20:35.744 in the log. When moving my mouse to the window i could see it was showing the play button as if i had paused it. I tried to click play to just resume playing but it wouldn't, skipping forward 10 seconds also didn't help. After going back to the home screen i could resume playing from a few seconds before the pause like nothing had happened.

Also @Luke that  newer version of mono runtime you mentioned, is that only for truenas scale or also for truenas core? I did a pkg upgrade on the emby jail just in case it is the solution, never know after all. I did see in the upgrade list that mono, talloc, tdb & tevent will be reinstalled because of dependency changes.

So i tried to resume watching after doing the pkg upgrade and sadly it did the same thing after about 5 to 10 seconds of watching. So i attached a 2nd serverlog so  you can you see if there is a difference between before and after updating.

embyserver.txt

embyserver2.txt

It's for all bsd. How did you install the server? If you used one of our downloadable packages, just install it again over the top. We've already repacked it with the changes.