Adding channels to a playlist?

A32

Hi,

I'm using 4.7.0.3 beta installed on a Synology DSM 7 vDSM. How can I add channels to a play list?
I've been able to add a whole "tag" to a playlist, when I display channels by tags (on the iPad client, long press and the menu appears with the add to a playlist as the top option). I can't find any way to add a single channel!

Any way to delete channels in bulk (based on channel tags for instance) in this latest beta version?

Wishes:
Gestures on the iPad client, especially for volume and brightness.
Ability to record anytime (not just by using the EPG). If a $2.99 iPad app can do it why can't Emby :) 

Hi, You can't add channels to playlist that I'm aware of.  How exactly would adding a live tv channel to a playlist would work?  A Channel never stops when you play it so the next item in the playlist would never happen. Channels aren't really "playlist friendly" by there very nature.

Playlists are for actual media items.

No way to remove channels in bulk but you can remove them pretty quickly one by one using the Channels menu

image.thumb.png.a0feea042b8380ad48a7dd31df3bb7a3.png

To remove a channel just click the checkmark to remove it.  Anything with the checkmark is active and anything without the checkmark like channel 697 above is not active.

Logically it might seem useless, however, if I can create channel playlists I can use two functions, play next and random shuffle.

This is a very nice way of surfing channels. For example, I can create a playlist for sports channels, one for news channels and another one for kids and so on.
On the iPad I can go into any of these playlists and tap Play and use the next button to change to the next channel and tap next again for the following channel. Or use Shuffle to randomly change channels with every tap of the next button.
It simulates pressing the channels + and - on a TV remote, but more useful because they’re grouped.
The alternative is to tap a channel, tap play, check what's on and if I don't like it tap the back arrow, tap the back arrow again to go back to the list to search and choose another channel and repeat.

It only works (creates) on tags as I discovered. It's really convenient and fast. You should try it and maybe if you like it you can convince the developers to add it 🙂

I'm aware of how to delete channels one by one. Unfortunately, when having a lot of channels it's not practical. 

• Like 1

You could do this by adding tags to channels and then shuffling the channels underneath a given tag.

Thanks for the suggestion, Luke. Yes, I figured I can do that, but it means that I'll need to enter a tag for every channel I want to use this trick on. A bit cumbersome. I was hoping that I can multi-select and say add to this playlist and I'm done.

I hope it gets better in the upcoming updates.

10 minutes ago, A32 said:

Thanks for the suggestion, Luke. Yes, I figured I can do that, but it means that I'll need to enter a tag for every channel I want to use this trick on. A bit cumbersome. I was hoping that I can multi-select and say add to this playlist and I'm done.

I hope it gets better in the upcoming updates.

Yes I'm sure our tag adding features will continue to improve. Thanks.